legality of hunting in county park

matt357

Where I live, there is a large park of several thousand acres but it is owned by the county and is a county park. I called the DEC who told me that any public land is legal to hunt on, I also called the county parks department who told me hunting is not allowed in any county park. So it sounds like it is just a formality as long as I'm not too obvious about it, I would be allowed to hunt in the park? Worst case scenario, what would happen if I got caught hunting in the park? As long as I agree to leave immediately wouldnt I be in the clear?

Edited by matt357

I would call the county park office. They will let you know if you can hunt there or not. I wouldn't trust what the DEC is telling me here.

I called the county parks department who said hunting is not allowed at any of their parks. However, it sounds more like a rule that a law.

Edited by matt357

U would probley get a trespassing ticket , max fine $250, as long as all your tags are good, I am not a lawyer, that is what happened to me, told dec there were no posted signs, gave me a ticket then called the judge and asked him not to fine me had to pay sir charge $75.00, lesson learned. I was not caught in a park but on some land a collage owned, was an honest mistake

Edited by Marcygirl

county park over 1000 acres? wow. Why would you ask folks on here what would happen if you got caught? Its obvious, you will get in trouble. You have enough money invested into hunting, why have to shell out an un needed fine and or surcharge? No is no. Isnt worth it regardless. Thats just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

yes but what would likely happen if I got caught?

Word would spread about some idiot hunter hunting in a county park. It would give us honest hunters another bad rap & would decrease our odds even further when we knock on the next strangers door asking for permission.. just sayin

Word would spread about some idiot hunter hunting in a county park. It would give us honest hunters another bad rap & would decrease our odds even further when we knock on the next strangers door asking for permission.. just sayin

Damn fine post^.

I have a pretty good sized county park across the street from me. Best thing about reporting poachers in there is county sheriff can come and I don't have to wait for DEC. They have cuffed a couple over the years, I got good pics of 2 morons dragging a 8 pt. one time.

county parks are not the same as state land. we have been requesting permission to hunt some land locked county land for years and the town mayor doesn't really care if we hunt it, but she ran it by her lawyers who said no. We got the impression from her that they wouldn't enforce anything but we decided it best to stay away.

The problem with hunting in the county parks is that other people use them too and they are not expecting hunters to be in there. Those parks should be one of the safe places that people can go (for biking, dog walking, skiing and such) during hunting season and we shouldn't expect to be allowed to hunt in there.

The problem with hunting in the county parks is that other people use them too and they are not expecting hunters to be in there. Those parks should be one of the safe places that people can go (for biking, dog walking, skiing and such) during hunting season and we shouldn't expect to be allowed to hunt in there.

We have a rather large state land parcel that is quickly being taken over by the same kinds of activities (Mountain biking, hiking, dog walking, bird watching, etc.). I hope they don't some day apply that standard of use and shut off hunting there. Actually, I know that they won't because they do kind of understand the need for wildlife management. Frankly, I would think that even county land would have population control needs when it comes to deer just like any other wild area. Ah but then that is an entirely different kind of jurisdiction and probably administered by people who have no concept of game management requirements. And just like private land, they have a perfect right to mis-manage the resource as they see fit.

Lets get the (percieved) safety issue out of the way and then get to the (real) issues: Hunting or being afield as a non hunter when hunting is occuring is much less dangerous than driving. That being said, I do think there should be some public lands for so-called nonconsumtive uses on which hunting is prohibited. But that works both ways...

Pitman-Robertson lands and Duck Stamp lands have designated conservation uses and priority public uses. Bigger worries are those activities you list and some others on public hunting lands - I am more concerned with the abuse of the public domain concept on PR and duck stamp lands to that extent state wildlife agencies, such as the DEC and federal wildlife agencies are not performing their mandates.

Another thing to question is why are nonconsumptive uses safe on public hunting lands; but unsafe on parks? (These days you see more nonconumtive users on most wmas than hunters).

To make a long story short: Conservation lands are for wildlife and hunting. Parks are for nonconsumtive recreation. So go party in the parks and leave conservaton lands to the animals, hunters, and naturalists...

Edited by mike rossi