How can we get illegal handguns off the street?

In light of the Connecticut killings and the Washington killings, I think we all agree that handguns in the hands of the criminals and wackos needs to be addressed. Let's put our collective thoughts together and see if we can come up with a solution to this. The cost of this should have no bearing on the solution.

Perhaps a solution like this could work. Anyone who turns in an unregistered handgun will receive $500 from the government. That might seem like a lot of money but it will take a chunk of change to get people to do this. They would have the local police pick up the gun and no questions asked. Details to be worked out.

In light of the Connecticut killings and the Washington killings, I think we all agree that handguns in the hands of the criminals and wackos needs to be addressed. Let's put our collective thoughts together and see if we can come up with a solution to this. The cost of this should have no bearing on the solution.

Perhaps a solution like this could work. Anyone who turns in an unregistered handgun will receive $500 from the government. That might seem like a lot of money but it will take a chunk of change to get people to do this. They would have the local police pick up the gun and no questions asked. Details to be worked out.

think of it in a criminals mind.. 500 bucks for this gun or stick up the corner bank and make out with thousands.. its not a bad idea in our law abiding eyes but animalistic criminals will never see it like that

nybuckboy -

Too early for a gun control rant. Let the news settle a bit. maybe if one of the teachers was armed this could have been avoided. Maybe the wacko had a history of odd behavior and had no right to a gun. maybe it was just an evil JACKASS. but its way too soon to start a gun control rant.

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 2

Like any one is going to take a handgun into the police station to get money for it.Do you think a criminal that somehow aquired an illegal hand gun is going to go into the police station with it to sell it to them?They are going to want to know how the person got it.And probably check their background to see if they are a felon.Never going to happen.

I agree with culver.get the wackos of streets and tighten down the judicial system.Guns arent the problem.its the wackos getting them.

To my knowledge they already have these programs in place at least at the local level. It would be great to do this at a higher level like at the state or federal. The key would be to make the incentive (money) great enough for some criminal want to trade his gun for the cash. The ONLY reason I get upset about the gun control nuts going after guns is because they paint the entire gun owning community with a very broad brush.

We now more than ever, as members of the hunting community, need to distinguish ourselves as extremely responsible and ethical individuals that enjoy the sport of hunting. My biggest fear of gun control is not being able to do one of the things I absolutely love; to hunt.

Does an organization exist or should one be started that is for hunters against gun crimes? I believe an organization of this nature can help preserve our love of the sport of hunting and the implements we utilize, while providing a face, voice and venue where a common ground can be established between gun nuts and responsible gun owners; in this case us, the hunting community.

-Cme

• Like 2

what people dont understand is you will never get guns off the street. and please tell me why is it always the guns fault. if somebody wanted to cause harm to another they can use anything they want to do it. I have kids myself and this pisses me off... that this kind of stuff happens. some may get mad at what i posted. but Please stop blaming guns. blame the sycho path that had the gun. these people are dangerous no matter what they use .... Godd bless

• Like 3

REALLY?????

then they would just rob a gun store....and sell the guns back to state....great idea

how about we make it illegale to be retarded...open a season up on them

Hunters against gun crimes? Come on, you cant say that 99% of gun owners arent already against gun crimes. Just because someone owns a handgun or an AR, etc doesnt mean they support crime or criminals. You start banning one type of gun or another just because you personally have no use for them, and eventually its going to be all of them, including yours. Apparently you dont understand the mentality of anti-gun people.

Guns dont kill people. people kill people..

Maybe not, but killing someone with a gun is a hell of a lot easier than slashing his throat, strangling them or killing by any other means. I as a gun owner have no qualms in admitting this, while everyone else here can't seem to understand it. If guns didn't make killing easier, why are most murders committed with them? There most definitely is a correlation between the two, and NO one will ever convince me that there isn't, so NO one need to even try. Sorry.

To my knowledge they already have these programs in place at least at the local level. It would be great to do this at a higher level like at the state or federal. The key would be to make the incentive (money) great enough for some criminal want to trade his gun for the cash. The ONLY reason I get upset about the gun control nuts going after guns is because they paint the entire gun owning community with a very broad brush.

We now more than ever, as members of the hunting community, need to distinguish ourselves as extremely responsible and ethical individuals that enjoy the sport of hunting. My biggest fear of gun control is not being able to do one of the things I absolutely love; to hunt.

Does an organization exist or should one be started that is for hunters against gun crimes? I believe an organization of this nature can help preserve our love of the sport of hunting and the implements we utilize, while providing a face, voice and venue where a common ground can be established between gun nuts and responsible gun owners; in this case us, the hunting community.

-Cme

Hey guys... I did not say my solution was the one. I suggested we discuss solutions. Cme is the only one here who has offered a solution besides myself. Contrary to what you may believe or want to believe we have to be the ones with the ideas. His quote "Does an organization exist or should one be started that is for hunters against gun crimes? I believe an organization of this nature can help preserve our love of the sport of hunting and the implements we utilize, while providing a face, voice and venue where a common ground can be established between gun nuts and responsible gun owners; in this case us, the hunting community." may be just what is necessary.

How bout some other thoughts on solutions.

• Like 1

Maybe not, but killing someone with a gun is a hell of a lot easier than slashing his throat, strangling them or killing by any other means. I as a gun owner have no qualms in admitting this, while everyone else here can't seem to understand it. If guns didn't make killing easier, why are most murders committed with them? There most definitely is a correlation between the two, and NO one will ever convince me that there isn't, so NO one need to even try. Sorry.

I agree!

• Like 1

We have a culture problem in this country, not a gun problem

Correct. Culture and morality. Both which legislation cannot fix and/or control.

There needs to be professional and friendly re-injection in public discussion of the historical reminders of what happens to a unarmed citizenry when government is armed and oppresses the people. This is to bring forth the credibility of why the 2nd Amendment actually exists, to assure a free citizenry.

When the 2nd Amendment is brought up, it has been put into peoples minds that it represents - guns. And that has people thinking - shootings.

The education system has that mentality. That is what we are fighting. An indoctrination away from freedom and what keeps people free. And that the government education and social system should be our mommy and daddy. This is because we are being convinced that government is the answer not a informed family unit;.

It would help to re-image the 2nd to represent - the common good for humanity.

Some 2nd Amendment lobbyists that explain history, freedom, and security. This needs to be done with analogies that reach at peoples emotions with warmth and compassion.

Edited by tony m

I'm sure that one of the law enforcement agencies (FBI or somebody) have developed a typical profile or profiles of these kinds of wackos, and their ways of obtaining the weapons that they use, and other things that facilitate their evil acts. If that info were made public, it may allow the public to get involved before these things occur. Why isn't that info accumulated and dispersed to the public.

That is also information that one would have to have in order to make any kind of intelligent, knowledgeable suggestions for corrective or preventative measures. I couldn't even say whether illegal guns are the weapons of choice for a mass murderer. So basically, we are guessing at suggestions without any information.

As far as the buy-back program, it has been done in Rochester a few times, and the results are always proudly displayed on TV laying on some table. I don't know the nuts and bolts of the program, but I can tell you from looking at the sorry collection of weapons that they always seem to come up with, most of them were just plain junk that most likely are perfectly legal guns that someone inherited and never dared to shoot. They were probably wondering what the heck to do with them. It pretty much is a program that could be administered by the public trash collection agencies. In other words they weren't necessarily illegal weapons, but simply excess household junk that had absolutely no impact on crime.

You still need the person to commit the illegal act. Cars make it pretty easy to kill others. Ban them.

• Like 3

those guns were not illegal to own from what i've heard from the story. The problem is the people themselves and if you have no priors it's hard to deny you the right to own one. 99% of legal gun owners are responsible.

My mother is a kindergarten teacher. I can not even imagine how I'd feel, and I even currently am very upset by this and I'm a big supporter of the 2nd amendment. This is a tough pill for us to swallow and will be tougher and tougher to defend this right as these events continue to happen more and more frequently.

Edited by Belo

Here's one for you. Legalize drugs. Tax the crap out of them for revenue. Save a little bit for treatment, but take the rest along with the BILLIONS spent on the unsuccessful War on Drugs and put more enforcement on the street / removing illegal guns.

The only ones getting hurt would be the adults choosing to do the drugs and as a side benefit you undercut all the revenue generated by terrorists and criminal organizations by greatly reducing the price to suppliers.

• Like 1

Hunters against gun crimes? Come on, you cant say that 99% of gun owners arent already against gun crimes. Just because someone owns a handgun or an AR, etc doesnt mean they support crime or criminals. You start banning one type of gun or another just because you personally have no use for them, and eventually its going to be all of them, including yours. Apparently you dont understand the mentality of anti-gun people.

I understand the mentality of those people very well, and sadly these days they have the lions share of the lawmakers ears. Its far better to put a face and voice to something than to ignore it. From my experience working with key decision makers, they usually listen to a variety of parties concerns then make a decision. If no voice is there to project our concerns they would never see our point. But it sounds like your OK with not defending your beliefs while helping the hunting community preserve their heritage. Now I'm sure 99.9% of this community is against gun crimes; that's a given. However, as I attempted to state previously, the gun nuts paint all gun owners with a wide brush. If we can counteract that through positive publicity and not negative publicity (as seen every few weeks on the news) we can begin to change peoples (probably not the gun nut extremists) perception of gun owners. PS. never said ban a certain type of gun... I like to predator hunt with a really sweet 5.56 so that wouldn't do me any good.

Hey guys... I did not say my solution was the one. I suggested we discuss solutions. Cme is the only one here who has offered a solution besides myself. Contrary to what you may believe or want to believe we have to be the ones with the ideas. His quote "Does an organization exist or should one be started that is for hunters against gun crimes? I believe an organization of this nature can help preserve our love of the sport of hunting and the implements we utilize, while providing a face, voice and venue where a common ground can be established between gun nuts and responsible gun owners; in this case us, the hunting community." may be just what is necessary.

How bout some other thoughts on solutions.

Enforce the more than adequate laws that already exist. If you are going to create new laws, stiffer penalties for ANY gun related crime. Not that those would have helped anyone today.

Lets face it, create all the laws you want, you will never totally prevent these types of things from happening.

I understand the mentality of those people very well, and sadly these days they have the lions share of the lawmakers ears. Its far better to put a face and voice to something than to ignore it. From my experience working with key decision makers, they usually listen to a variety of parties concerns then make a decision. If no voice is there to project our concerns they would never see our point. But it sounds like your OK with not defending your beliefs while helping the hunting community preserve their heritage. Now I'm sure 99.9% of this community is against gun crimes; that's a given. However, as I attempted to state previously, the gun nuts paint all gun owners with a wide brush. If we can counteract that through positive publicity and not negative publicity (as seen every few weeks on the news) we can begin to change peoples (probably not the gun nut extremists) perception of gun owners. PS. never said ban a certain type of gun... I like to predator hunt with a really sweet 5.56 so that wouldn't do me any good.

My point is, you are talking about creating a group for something thats almost a complete given. In otherwords, a pointless feelgood measure that accomplishes little of anything.

How about calling for stiffer penalties for any and all crimes committed with a gun? You use a gun in the commission of a crime, you die. Plain and simple.

Enforce the more than adequate laws that already exist. If you are going to create new laws, stiffer penalties for ANY gun related crime. Not that those would have helped anyone today.

Lets face it, create all the laws you want, you will never totally prevent these types of things from happening.

You don't see the point and quite honestly your resistance to provoking thoughtful conversation is not helping. Nobody is saying to create more laws, I'm not sure where you got that from. This thread was started to identify possible solutions. If you don't want to provide solutions that's fine, however, please don't strike down upon those who are interested in doing so.

As a father of two school age kids, I am terrified every morning when I see them off. What keeps me sane is the mentality that many of us have that "it can't happen in my town". But this tragedy in the small town in CT brought me back down to reality. I will be telling my kids how much I love them and I will give them both a long hug. There are families in CT who will never have the opportunity to do the same.

Apparently this wacko was prepared for a long gun battle - body armor, glock semi-auto, sig sauer semi-auto and an AR15. He kills his entire family except his older brother who's ID he stole, and kills innocent kids who did nothing to him.

I am a strong proponent of the 2nd amendment but something has got to give. Something has to be done. But rather than going back and forth endlessly about whether an armed teacher could have ended the tragedy or not, I don't know if we need more gun control, or we need less gun control to allow law abiding citizens to defend themselves against wack jobs like this guy today and just two days ago in the mall in Oregon.

But again what if a trained law abiding citizens were allowed to carry - this tragedy could certainly have been avoided or fatalities reduced. I know there are those of you who are going to say even trained officers sometimes can't stop someone like that. But I'm sick and tired of hearing about these wackos getting their hands on guns be them legal or illegal and committing these crimes in areas where they already know they will not meet with any resistance.

• Like 1