How can we get illegal handguns off the street?

Go to CNN and watch obamas speech . i can see whats coming and its not good. iam not goin to get political on here .

this has been goin on for a while people just not on our soil here in the usa its all over the world... i do believe there should be a screening process for say if someone is diagnosed from a mental illness and has violent tendancy;s they should not own a gun. but with that being said . they are gonna try to go after the second amendmant if you watch the video u will here what obama says.... he basically says he dont care what the political right is something has to be done.......its a sad day for sure . and iam sorry for the familys this has affected. god bless....

You don't see the point and quite honestly your resistance to provoking thoughtful conversation is not helping. Nobody is saying to create more laws, I'm not sure where you got that from. This thread was started to identify possible solutions. If you don't want to provide solutions that's fine, however, please don't strike down upon those who are interested in doing so.

By definition a soulution is an action or process to correct a problem What WNY is saying the Problem is NOT the perception of us. THe problem is the freaks that do this kind of thing and all the hand holding and Kumbya singing (no offense Steve and Doe) will NEVER correct this. The same group oh pining for gettign rid of all guns as the solution to this eveil are the same groups that have supported the downward spiral of morality in theis country. Oppose the death penality. The same group that finds no problem with kids spending hours infront of a video game killing police oe listening to music about rape and killing becasue they have a right and freedom to do so, IS a lions share of this problem. More so that any gun could ever be. The guns are not the problem. The attitude that little Joe is so precious and can never do wrong and the parent is evil for putting a boot in hi ass when he screws up IS part of the problem. The hell with this. I am done. I am going home and hug my daughter. I suggest everyone here does the same.

God bless and have a great last weekend if you ML hunt.

• Like 4

To kill a human being is under normal circumstances is INSANE . Lets start there and then maybe we can have a discussion as to some sort of solution . There are too many people on the streets now that are mentally deranged and this is the basis of the problems we face today . Maybe sometime in the future this will be addressed I dont know or even pretend to, but unless we look at this problem this INSANITY WILL PERSIST. Eventually it will go to cost involved in treatment and care but with a little sacrifice it is posissable and can lead us to a better future, Of course there are other options ,but we must start somewhere and weed out the mentaly deficent , then and only then coupled with stricter enforcement will our future look brighter than the grim outlook we face now .... P.S. SAY A PRAYER FOR THE PARENTS THAT LOST THEIR CHILDREN ......

• Like 1

There has, and always will be bad people. There will always be murders, rapes, assaults, etc. That is because people are, well, human. Just like a boy and girl teenager fooling around, that is humans.

It must be accepted that bad people do bad things.

What there is going to be a wanting for is more of the surveillance socitey put in place. This is because, it can prevent and can catch bad people doing bad things.

I believe we will end up in a society where even good people will be afraid to make a mistake. Any type of mistake. We will have artists that will not be able to get motivated to make good art.

It will be like that Roman movie where the Roman advances on the slave girl and the girl resists. And the Roman says, You will learn to love me.

That is where we are heading.

The media is going to push the emotion about more gun control and more surveillance and civil rights violations as trying to preemptively find and stop bad people. Thought crimes.

Maybe this will get more people involved in attending local community meetings and solving locally.

And it begins already

Washington (CNN) -- In the wake of Friday's school shooting in Connecticut that killed nearly 30 people, most of them children, the White House said President Barack Obama will consider a reinstatement of the assault weapons ban in his second term.

"It does remain a commitment of his," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters about the Clinton-era ban that expired in 2004.

The response inched the administration closer to reviewing thorny Second Amendment issues following several high profile shootings, a topic Obama carefully avoided in his first term.

Though the weapon used in the shooting has not been identified, the massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School renewed public policy focus on gun control and ownership.

"I am absolutely horrified by news of the cold-blooded shooting of dozens of children in Newtown, Connecticut. Yet another unstable person has gotten access to firearms and committed an unspeakable crime against innocent children," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-New York, in a statement.

"We cannot simply accept this as a routine product of modern American life. If now is not the time to have a serious discussion about gun control and the epidemic of gun violence plaguing our society, I don't know when is. How many more Columbines and Newtowns must we live through? I am challenging President Obama, the Congress, and the American public to act on our outrage and, finally, do something about this," Nadler said.

In light of the Connecticut killings and the Washington killings, I think we all agree that handguns in the hands of the criminals and wackos needs to be addressed. Let's put our collective thoughts together and see if we can come up with a solution to this. The cost of this should have no bearing on the solution.

Perhaps a solution like this could work. Anyone who turns in an unregistered handgun will receive $500 from the government. That might seem like a lot of money but it will take a chunk of change to get people to do this. They would have the local police pick up the gun and no questions asked. Details to be worked out.

Criminal scum will not turn in their illegally possessed guns. End of story. I have seen these gun amnasty programs first hand. The only people who turn in guns are little old ladies, who turn in their deceased husbands guns and other law abiding citizens who want to get rid of legally owned guns. You do get a few crack heads who come in with either old broken guns or BB guns, looking for a quick buck. The majority of guns turned in at these programs are old long guns. Its all B.S. the news will report about how many "dangerous weapons" were taken off the streets, but its all window dressing. They will never tell you how many criminal gang bangers turned in their guns because the number would be ZERO.

The answer is to use existing gun laws and send people, who violate gun laws, away for a long time and do it consistantly. As it is right now, if a career criminal scum bag is caught with an illegal handgun he might- might go away for a few months tops. Welcome to the real world.

• Like 3

theres more on the cnn site from this article . i couldnt copy it all...why is it always the gun owners fault. when something like this happens fry the person who did it and save our tax dollars . iam done ranting . ill be spending the rest of the night with my kids held a little closer tonight ....night everybody god bless

• Like 1

Back to the original question of this post: How can we get illegal handguns off the street? In a word, we can't! So....Next question: How do we prevent shootings like this? Not sure if there is a way we can prevent them all. Evil exists; we cannot wipe it out. Yet, another question: What should NOT be done? We should not continue to buy into the argument that we need more restrictions on legitimate, law-abiding gun owners. Attacking the good guys won't solve anything!

Parting thought: We, the shooting public, have tarnished our own image with the BLACK GUN craze. We have to some extent made ourselves fair game for the anti's.

• Like 2

The only solution that will ever work is to completely legalize guns (no pistol permits or restricted buildings) then everyone would carry (even on airplanes and in Washington D. C.) And then bad guys could not do things like this, in fact they would not even WANT to cause they would know that they wood meet at least 4 or 5 armed citizens.... that is the only solution that I can see, we just need to let the 2nd amendment do its work.... believe me I think it would work!

• Like 3

If there were no "Black Guns" I'm pretty sure that this sick sack of crap would have used a pump shot gun, .22 rim fire, bolt action hunting gun.....what ever. The coward had easy targets....little kids stuck in a class room. Piece of F-ing CRAP!!

• Like 2

from what they are reporting on the news now, the guns were legal and registered to his mother. He shot her first then took her legal guns and committed the crimes. So they will target legal guns too. But remember Obama has no agenda to take guns away. I read that somewhere. He used it to push an agenda regardless of politics his words.

Maybe not, but killing someone with a gun is a hell of a lot easier than slashing his throat, strangling them or killing by any other means. I as a gun owner have no qualms in admitting this, while everyone else here can't seem to understand it. If guns didn't make killing easier, why are most murders committed with them? There most definitely is a correlation between the two, and NO one will ever convince me that there isn't, so NO one need to even try. Sorry.

The worst mass murder in NYC comitted by one man killed 87 people and not a shot was fired. No one talked about banning the murder weapon.

How about holding the doctors responsible who medicate these kids into the psychotic killers that they become.

Edited by wooffer

Rochester had gun turn in programs for many many years, the first ones at our firehouses. A lot of us FF's picked up great guns for $50,like sweet 16's . The only folks turning them in were folks from the burbs getting rid of their Dads old hunting guns so we'd buy them off them to save them time in line.

I'm all for these turn in programs....

A person could walk in a class room of little kids with a double barrel shotgun, and take them out .Think about it are 6 y/o'as going to rush him as he reloads ?

Want to get illegal handguns off the street make your's are harder to steal, and don't leave them in your car .

As a side note a guy on my crew went to beikirchs to pick up his new gun tonight, about 100 people in line.....

I carry every day, same as most guys i know .

You don't see the point and quite honestly your resistance to provoking thoughtful conversation is not helping. Nobody is saying to create more laws, I'm not sure where you got that from. This thread was started to identify possible solutions. If you don't want to provide solutions that's fine, however, please don't strike down upon those who are interested in doing so.

So because i dont agree with you, im automatically resisting thoughtful conversation, and offer no solutions. Got it.

Parting thought: We, the shooting public, have tarnished our own image with the BLACK GUN craze. We have to some extent made ourselves fair game for the anti's.

Ignorance.

This incident could have happened the same way with many different traditional hunting style guns, or a bomb made from household chemicals.

Heres the problem, why was a man dressed in body armor allowed to get inside a school? Unless he smashed his way in, this may have been prevented with better security in the building.

Ignorance.

This incident could have happened the same way with many different traditional hunting style guns, or a bomb made from household chemicals.

Heres the problem, why was a man dressed in body armor allowed to get inside a school? Unless he smashed his way in, this may have been prevented with better security in the building.

good point. i know my kids school has a monitor at all doors, but it dont mean it would stop an intruder. i agree with better security and wouldnt mind having to pay extra tax for it.