How can we get illegal handguns off the street?

To Bad Doc, I'm picking up 4 more gunsafes Monday, 14 gun ones, $150 for non, and $200 for fire "proof". I'd have hooked you up but orders needed to be in by last Fri.

I've gotten several a year for guys as the wifes company, clears out old stock,returns,discontinued and so on.

you be the first turn in all your guns so one can use them for something like this.

Bubba... if you referring to me I will never give up my guns. I just feel that if people put their heads together we can come up with a solution and still support the second amendment. I don't know what the solution is but the senseless killings will only get worse.

I guarantee that if this had happened in one of our schools or to our children we would be thinking a lot harder about a solution. I sure hope that it never, ever, happens close to home.

And if that shot misses then what ? Say it hits and kills a child in another room or the hallway ? No ! arming teachers isnt the only solution here . Society as a whole must face the inevitable and when someone is sick either mentally or a threat to society by being a crimnal they must be removed from that society for the greater good . too much sentimentality isnt good for us . The law in China excutes within a short period of time after your found guilty here it is so different plea deals, higher courts there must be a deterrent when found guilty and there was DEATH by electrocution maybe we should return to those times and put fear into the hearts of crimnals as was done in years gone by .....

So for those saying she had no rights to have guns with a mentally ill person in the home. If you end up with a child with a mental illness heaven forbid, will you get rid of all your guns? Bear in mind ADD and ADHD are in some circles considered mental illness.

Disability sometimes but not a mental illness.

the solution is to let armed citizens defend against these things things. train and arm all teachers first shot bang he is dead in the office game over.

I agree with Bubba...Don't you wonder why these sickos don't target police stations or ANYWHERE that they know there will be armed resistance ?

They always target areas where they know there will be lots of helpless victims and a MINIMUM chance of armed resistance.

They are sick, cowardly peices of s**t and most of them shoot themslves rather than face the retribution they know is coming when the police finally get there.

• Like 1

I place blame on those who know the people who do these things and know they are unstable and do nothing to help them or notify some one that can stop them. As a culture we always try to wrap our heads around why, to try to understand how it could happen. The truth is our brains are not able to come close to making sense out of a heinous act because the person doing it has a brain that is effectively broken. I have heard the 20yr old shooter may have had a form of autism called Assbergers, this is not a mental illness and no amount of gun control will be able to detect some one like him. His mother and others that knew him knew what he could have been capable of so the blame lies with them, he should not have had access to guns and she should not have had them where he could get them. My son has Autism, maybe even the same diagnosis as the shooter, and I know full well that he should never have access to guns or even knives for that matter because when he goes off he can not control himself or what he says and does even.

Unfortunately the media, and people in general seem to focus on gun control instead of how to prevent things from getting so bad in the first place for sick people, as a nation we need to open our eyes to those around us that may need help and stop burying our heads in the sand. If you know some one that is unstable try to get them help or tell some one else at the very least that can help them.

• Like 1

Stewart Rhodes of Oathkeepers made a statement hitting on a good point.

Oath Keepers: The Federal Government is Guilty Accomplice in School Shooting in Newtown

By Stewart Rhodes, Founder of Oath Keepers

There has been a horrendous mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. At this time, 27 people are reported dead, most of them children.

This shooting is yet another tragic example of the failed, grotesque insistence on helpless victim zones where any crazed gunman can be assured of a large number of disarmed, undefended, helpless victims, all crammed into one place, where he can kill many children before an armed defender arrives from elsewhere. It is disturbing and sick that the federal government so hates the right of the American people to bear arms, and so hates their natural right to self defense, that the government insists on making them helpless, disarmed victims for anyone who cares to kill them. And in this case, all of the teachers and staff were willfully disarmed by the Federal Government, by force of law and threat of prison, to ensure that they would be disarmed and incapable of saving the lives of the children entrusted to their care.

That makes the Federal Government complicit in the deaths of these children, and in fact an accessory to their mass murder, by forcibly disarming (with the very real threat of prison) all the teachers, all the staff, and any parent who may have been on school property. That stupid law guaranteed the shooters would meet no immediate armed resistance, which is exactly what is needed to stop such an attack.

Continue:

http://oathkeepers.o...wn-connecticut/

• Like 1

It won't work to prevent something like this but for your general repeat offenders, bring back prison hulks. Take all this trash and stick them out in the ocean on old retired cargo vessels. Take away all the dirty magazines, cable TV and other creature comforts, feed them gruel twice a day and every other day walk down the cell block with a fire hose pumping water out of the ocean. Let them spend a couple years in that and they'll never want to go back. Any croak during their stay tip them over the gunnels and let the sharks clean them up.

• Like 1

All my guns are locked up: They are cabled together inside locked gun cabinets. thus twice-locked. But, could they be stolen?...Hell, yes. Would I then be guilty if the thief committed with a gun he stole from me?....Hell, no! The blame for gun violence rests squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator, no where else. To suggest otherwise is a serious mistake! (Note: I tried to not use any big words here so the Buckhunter could follow along!)

And yet you continue to attack the type of gun. You constantly talk out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, because of your ignorance, or lack of knowledge about the things you speak of.

• Like 1

I place blame on those who know the people who do these things and know they are unstable and do nothing to help them or notify some one that can stop them. As a culture we always try to wrap our heads around why, to try to understand how it could happen. The truth is our brains are not able to come close to making sense out of a heinous act because the person doing it has a brain that is effectively broken. I have heard the 20yr old shooter may have had a form of autism called Assbergers, this is not a mental illness and no amount of gun control will be able to detect some one like him. His mother and others that knew him knew what he could have been capable of so the blame lies with them, he should not have had access to guns and she should not have had them where he could get them. My son has Autism, maybe even the same diagnosis as the shooter, and I know full well that he should never have access to guns or even knives for that matter because when he goes off he can not control himself or what he says and does even.

Unfortunately the media, and people in general seem to focus on gun control instead of how to prevent things from getting so bad in the first place for sick people, as a nation we need to open our eyes to those around us that may need help and stop burying our heads in the sand. If you know some one that is unstable try to get them help or tell some one else at the very least that can help them.

Very well put. Thanks

well we have no clue what this guy supposedly have but you have rushed to justice that she should not have had the guns with a mentally ill person in her home. Studies are showing that add and adhd are becoming a precursor to bipolar disorders. How do you know what illness this guy had? umm you dont. But you are ready to pass judgement.

The family should not of had the guns in the house with a child in that state of mind. Fault lies with the mother.

Pass judgement-you bet your ass I'm passing judgement.

Edited by First-light

there's no way to keep illegal handguns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals.........just saw a story on abc news stating there are roughly over 200 million guns circulating throughout the country already (and I would think this is fairly accurate).....it's pretty much past the point of no return.

well we have no clue what this guy supposedly have but you have rushed to justice that she should not have had the guns with a mentally ill person in her home. Studies are showing that add and adhd are becoming a precursor to bipolar disorders. How do you know what illness this guy had? umm you dont. But you are ready to pass judgement.

I missed this gem yesterday, you are full of it. One does not lead to the other but they have similar symptoms leading to miss diagnosis, one is a mood disorder and the other is an attention disorder.

Im not attacking you, pointing out a fact that you dont know what you are talking about and are contradicting yourself. Nothing in the rules about that.

that is your opinion. What makes your opinion more valuable. Seems a pattern here with a few of you. If anyone disagrees, you say you are entitled to your opinion but it is wrong. On what basis is yours more valuable, cuz you sure seem to think you know it all

The Buckhunter does see his opinion as the only one; he is simply not willing to accept the opinion of others when it differs from his. That is detrimental to this site...it impedes the free exchange of ideas and opinions. Too bad....much could be gained from this site if it were managed properly. Thanks for your input.

that is your opinion. What makes your opinion more valuable. Seems a pattern here with a few of you. If anyone disagrees, you say you are entitled to your opinion but it is wrong. On what basis is yours more valuable, cuz you sure seem to think you know it all

Not true, but feel free to continue dragging your grudge across the forum.

Early has in fact contradicted his or her self in this thread, and yes, its my opinion that early doesnt have a clue. So what?

• Like 1

The Buckhunter does see his opinion as the only one; he is simply not willing to accept the opinion of others when it differs from his. That is detrimental to this site...it impedes the free exchange of ideas and opinions. Too bad....much could be gained from this site if it were managed properly. Thanks for your input.

100% not true. You are one of the biggest culprits of exactly what you are talking about though. One only has to look through your past posts to see the personal attacks on others with differing opinions, as well as the posts that are nothing but incendiary trolling.

Some of you think that Im not allowed to have an opinion or call people out when they get the facts wrong, because Im a moderator. Thats just not how it is, I participate the same as anyone else and am subject to the same rules as everyone else. Its predictable though, when someone cant back up what they are saying or get called out, they attack me for being a moderator. Its ok, Im used to it.

Back to the topic please.

It was mentioned that hunters need some type of organization that promotes their image? Some of you may not like this thought, but that organization is already there, although many hunters and gun owners hate it as much as the anti's do. That's because they listen to what the mass media says about it, rather than getting their info from the organization itself.

The one expert organization on the subject of guns, gun rights, hunting and target shooting is the NRA. With the inevitable onslaught of gun control measures that are about to be forced upon law abiding gun owners of all stripes, the only thing that is going to stop politicians from suceeding, is a united front on behalf of all gun owners in America. There are only about 3 mllion members in the NRA now, so Obama feels he will be able to get Congress to agree they are not a threat to their re-election down the road. But if there were 50, or 100 million NRA members, the politicians wouldn't even consider making law abiding gun owners pay for the sins of these crazed killers.

I know some will say the NRA is bad, makes us look bad, is extreme, is BS, etc., etc. But the fact is, they are comprised of just regular gun owners, that have always been the big stick in the gun control fight, have had many sucesses in the battle, defend all gun owners and totally support the 2nd Amendment in every respect. Some folks believe they make us all look bad because they don't compromise. But if you understand why they don't compromise and support those positions, you will see the anti-gun agenda and bad gun law proposals stop.

If you don't join the NRA, or worse yet, attack the NRA in public forums like this one, you prove to the anti's a lot of gun owners can be stripped of their rights willingly, to buy a little perceived protection for themselves from the anti's. That means you are willing to let gun ownership become a privilege and forgo the 2nd Amendment rights you currently have. That will be the beginning of the end of gun rights in America.

They may not be perfect, but right now, in this fight, they are the best hope that we have got. If you don't join the NRA now, you can kiss the 2nd Amendment, as we know it today, good-bye.

This is my opinion on the subject. Gun owners didn't cause these problems in America, but they are going to be made to pay the price for them, even if it won't make any effective difference in solving the problem. United we win. Divided, we have already lost.

It is the government's responsibilty to correct the problem, but is our responsibility to see the problem is effectively corrected without taking the rights of American citizens away.

• Like 2