Do you wear Orange? If so why? If not Why not? :)

TheHunter

as an instructor, I have to say with the stats we see in our meetings almost half of people being shot are wearing blaze.  People are shot by carells hunters who do not follow the simple rules of gun safety.  1 treat every firearm as if i twere loaded 2 always point the muzzle in a safe direction 3 know your target and well beyond 4 keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to fire. 

Good for you Doc...the guy that was killed next to us...had full camo...so didn't the shooter...a buck ran full board between them and the shooter opened up like he was shoot skeet....Why nor to shoot at RUNNING deer...reason they nailed the shooter...but not hard enough...that group was out hunting the following Sat... :)

Certainly, there are incidents where guys dressed in blaze orange get shot. It's hard to imagine, but we know it happens. I also will agree that even when guys in camo are shot, there usually has been some carelessness occuring with irresponsible shooting. However, in that second case, there most likely is shared responsibility with the victim contributing to the shooting.

Here is something that always is rumbling around in my mind. We have this nice saying about being absolutely sure what's behind whatever we are shooting at. Well, in my estimation the only way you can abide by that is to do all your shooting on a certified rifle range where all vegetation in front of the target is removed, and a huge earthen backstop is provided behind what you are shooting at. All rod & gun clubs recognize this as the only way to be sure of what is behind the target and have spent great amounts of money and effort to create that kind of safe shooting area so that they can abide by the rule of, "always ensure that the area behind the target is absolutely clear". But, given the quality of todays camo patterns and colors, on just about any shot taken by any hunter, there is a possibility that some jerk could be hunkered in the background, dressed completely in some of that super-effective camo and be absolutely impossible to see. We've all seen the TV ads that show how totally a hunter can blend into a chunk of woods, and by golly the stuff really does work as advertised. So if we are really serious about being absolutely sure of the background behind the deer we are about to shoot at, we had better be doing all our hunting at the local rifle range. Obviously that isn't very practical, so there has to be some effort expended by all hunters to make themselves appear as obviously as possible as something human that shows up well in the woods.

So, there is at least some reasonable responsibility in terms of how much precaution we take when dressing for safety. As far as I am concerned, the very least effort that satisfies that responsibility is to wear adequate blaze orange. Failing to do that is not only dumb, but it is irresponsible and very well can lead to an accident that can claim as it's victims not only the one shot, but the rest of the life of the shooter. I personally would like to see that responsibility written into law.

Doc

Certainly, there are incidents where guys dressed in blaze orange get shot. It's hard to imagine, but we know it happens. I also will agree that even when guys in camo are shot, there usually has been some carelessness occuring with irresponsible shooting. However, in that second case, there most likely is shared responsibility with the victim contributing to the shooting.

Here is something that always is rumbling around in my mind. We have this nice saying about being absolutely sure what's behind whatever we are shooting at. Well, in my estimation the only way you can abide by that is to do all your shooting on a certified rifle range where all vegetation in front of the target is removed, and a huge earthen backstop is provided behind what you are shooting at. All rod & gun clubs recognize this as the only way to be sure of what is behind the target and have spent great amounts of money and effort to create that kind of safe shooting area so that they can abide by the rule of, "always ensure that the area behind the target is absolutely clear". But, given the quality of todays camo patterns and colors, on just about any shot taken by any hunter, there is a possibility that some jerk could be hunkered in the background, dressed completely in some of that super-effective camo and be absolutely impossible to see. We've all seen the TV ads that show how totally a hunter can blend into a chunk of woods, and by golly the stuff really does work as advertised. So if we are really serious about being absolutely sure of the background behind the deer we are about to shoot at, we had better be doing all our hunting at the local rifle range. Obviously that isn't very practical, so there has to be some effort expended by all hunters to make themselves appear as obviously as possible as something human that shows up well in the woods.

So, there is at least some reasonable responsibility in terms of how much precaution we take when dressing for safety. As far as I am concerned, the very least effort that satisfies that responsibility is to wear adequate blaze orange. Failing to do that is not only dumb, but it is irresponsible and very well can lead to an accident that can claim as it's victims not only the one shot, but the rest of the life of the shooter. I personally would like to see that responsibility written into law.

Doc

Amen to this POST + + +

I do wear it when I am on the move and on state land. However the question still stands and you brought it up.  If it mkes us all safer, why not durng all big game hunting seasons.  I can shoot someone with my muzzleloader as I can my 25-06.  I can shoot someone just possibly with a bow.  There has to be a reason why only centerfire season.  I can agre there is probably a better chance with long range firearms, but if there is a chance during primitive seasons, it shoudl ebn law then too.

Actually, any time there is a muzzleloading season in process, I do wear blaze orange. It's no different than a shotgun season, just fewer participants.

I don't worry about it too much during bow season, because I don't believe there has ever been a case of a bowhunter accidentally shooting another hunter, thinking he was a deer. The range and nature of a bow doesn't really lend itself to that kind of longer distance mis-interpretation of the target. Also, the nature of an arrow is such that if a target is so obscured that you can't tell the difference between a hunter and a deer an arrow is not likely to get far enough to do any harm. My feeling is that if someone gets killed with an arrow and a claim of target mis-identification, the authorities better start opening up a homicide investigation .... lol.

Doc

I couldn't agree with your post more Doc...bow season is the only time I hit the woods with out blaze orange camo...and hat...mittens...ect...and would love to see it in written law...the other thing I really think should be pressed is teaching these young gun hunters..I've all but given up on the older ones...that you should never pull up and start shooting at a deer running full board across a field or in the woods....actually that's why.... IMO.... every hunter should be required to bow hunt at least one year before being allowed a gun license...let them learn deer can get close and they do stop moving...or at least they walk...and if one doesn't... there will be another out there that will. ppl around here wont do chores with out some orange on and some have there kids walk to the bus stop with hunter orange on...

Turkey season causes an unusual dilemma. First of all, I'm not sure whether turkeys are color vision impaired like deer are. However there seems to be more accidents with some occasionally being fatalities during turkey season these days. Would blaze orange be a viable safety precaution during turkey season? Is it even practical? Can turkeys see blaze orange? I know they have some pretty darn good vision. I don't do a whole lot of turkey hunting anymore so I really don't know.

Doc

Turkey season causes an unusual dilemma. First of all, I'm not sure whether turkeys are color vision impaired like deer are. However there seems to be more accidents with some occasionally being fatalities during turkey season these days. Would blaze orange be a viable safety precaution during turkey season? Is it even practical? Can turkeys see blaze orange? I know they have some pretty darn good vision. I don't do a whole lot of turkey hunting anymore so I really don't know.

Doc

Wild turkeys are not color impaired. In fact, they can see color very well. Their vision is telescopic and gives them the abilty to see details clearly (from one hundred yards thay can distinguish a human eye blink). Inaddition their vision extends 180 degrees. I have killed but one turkey in over 30 years. For those turkey hunters who are continually successful, my hats off to them.

As far as hunting them safely, the DEC's website offers very good advice!

I wear an orange vest and hat during gun season only. Foolish not to. I have heard deer see some colors like blues but not orange. What they can see is a large chuck of the same pattern which is not natural and spooks them. That's why they sell camo orange.  If the deer gets close enough during gun season to see my orange, its a dead deer anyway.

While either turkey hunting or bowhuntig, I make it a point to place a piece of blaze orange above the spot where I am posted.

I am amazed and thankful that there are not many hunting accidents during the fall season when bowhunters,small game hunters and turkey hunters are afield at the same time.

Hunting is a dangerous sport with no margin for error when it comes to safety. It behooves us to take all necessary precautions to ensure that we hunt safely.

While either turkey hunting or bowhuntig, I make it a point to place a piece of blaze orange above the spot where I am posted.

Good idea!

----------------------------------------------------------

Hunting is a dangerous sport with no margin for error when it comes to safety.

Make that: "a potentially dangerous sport". There is always a potential for disaster, but statistically hunting turns out to be a very safe sport among a long list of sports and other activities.

A few years back I gained permission to hunt a neighboring propperty next to the land I'd purchased. Long story short, my new neighbor didn't believe in B.O.

I still hunted my way just along the back of a field edge about 20 yds inside the woods. I caught movement and watched as 2 does emerged from the thicket and moved into the open timber to about 50 yds. I shouldered my 50 cal and dropped the lead doe in her tracks.

As I moved in to recover and dress my deer I caught movement above me and looked up. About 10 feet off the ground and about 10 feet to the side sat my neighbor all camo clad in his climber flapping his hat at me. The two deer had fed right under his tree. I certainly felt like a piece of crap and almost slobbish to not have noticed him and 1'st of all for shooting in another hunters direction. I just shrugged my shoulders and shook my head in embaressment, grabbed my deer and dragged it home.

When I got home I realised how close I'd come to to becoming a part of the statistics sheets as the shooter.

Later that night the phone rang and it was him calling to scream at me for what had happened and tell me to stay off his propperty.

I calmly replied with...."Gladly" and hung up the phone.

We never spoke again but he had me labeled around town as the slob who shoots deer right out from under ya.

I can live with that....suppose it's better than the guy that shoots you out of a tree. :'(  Guess he got lucky I'm a relatively good shot and that bullet didn't deflect. ;)

I wear orange durring any gun season for that reason alone.

When I started hunting 50 + years ago we all wore Orange, A group of us hunted together almost every hunting season,private land and state land,we never had any accidents,thank god and we got our bucks and does every year,Now where I live there is a lot of DEP land which requires you ware a certin amount of orange Good Requirement.Every year you see someone shooting a friend or relative during turkey hunting season Why because most likley a quick shot at movement and the person getting shot was in full camo head to to.I nerve go into the wood without at least a red or orange hat during hunting season and my dogs have on an orange strap on vest. 

Wooly-

It just goes to show you that you can't see everything that's in the woods. Especially someone who is going out of his way not to be seen. I'll never understand the mentality of hunters wearing camo during gun season........ never.

Doc

When I started hunting 50 + years ago we all wore Orange, A group of us hunted together almost every hunting season,private land and state land,we never had any accidents,thank god and we got our bucks and does every year,Now where I live there is a lot of DEP land which requires you ware a certin amount of orange Good Requirement.Every year you see someone shooting a friend or relative during turkey hunting season Why because most likley a quick shot at movement and the person getting shot was in full camo head to to.I nerve go into the wood without at least a red or orange hat during hunting season and my dogs have on an orange strap on vest.

I don't do a lot of turkey hunting, but I think I can see where turkey hunting might be a bit more dangerous than you might think. First of all there are a lot of goofy hunters out there who still take "sound shots". It sounds stupid, but it still happens. Then you have hunters sitting in the woods trying to sound like a turkey. Then you set up decoys that could conceivably draw fire from anywhere within 360 degrees. Some of that could be in line with the hunter. It's still something that requires an awful lot of irresponsibility to happen, but there are a few additional factors that kind of make the odds of something ugly happening a bit higher.

Doc

I don't do a lot of turkey hunting, but I think I can see where turkey hunting might be a bit more dangerous than you might think. First of all there are a lot of goofy hunters out there who still take "sound shots". It sounds stupid, but it still happens. Then you have hunters sitting in the woods trying to sound like a turkey. Then you set up decoys that could conceivably draw fire from anywhere within 360 degrees. Some of that could be in line with the hunter. It's still something that requires an awful lot of irresponsibility to happen, but there are a few additional factors that kind of make the odds of something ugly happening a bit higher.

Doc

Doc,

I do a lot of turkey hunting with my teenage nephews. On one occasion we were set up with our backs to large diameter oak tree (with a strip of blaze orange 6' above us wrapped around the tree's circumference) atop a side hill with two decoys 20+yards away from us. As I was cutting and putting we heard several questionable gobbles to our left well out of our line of site. Next thing we heard several twigs snap, then into clear view appeared two yahoos dressed in camo who made a beeline for the decoys. Needless to say I yelled "don't shoot". They were both dumbfounded. I told them that their style of hunting was dangerous, they responded with the proverbial f-u and left.

As I later found out,these two guys were subsequently arrested by the DEC for road hunting turkeys with loaded firearms in their vehicle.

Wooly-

It just goes to show you that you can't see everything that's in the woods. Especially someone who is going out of his way not to be seen. I'll never understand the mentality of hunters wearing camo during gun season........ never.

Doc

I'll tell ya what... and not to sound like bad azz, but the day I get shot at in my punkin' suit I'll have no problem returning fire.....period.

Then EVERYONE will know where I'm coming from.

I wonder if they miss me but I hit them............would it be concidered self defence if they miss first???

I'll tell ya what... and not to sound like bad azz, but the day I get shot at in my punkin' suit I'll have no problem returning fire.....period.

Then EVERYONE will know where I'm coming from.

I wonder if they miss me but I hit them............would it be concidered self defence if they miss first???

That probably doesn't meet the requirements of self defense, and most likely even if you missed them, you would still be in a whole lot of legal trouble.

I think the proper reaction would be to quickly put some big old heavy trunked tree between you and them and then hunker down. Nobody wants to see a gunfight develop out there in the woods .... lol.

I will say that when somebody shoots at or toward another hunter that is dressed in blaze orange, you have to wonder if it is accidental or intentional.

Doc