Well, thank you Biden voters! I'm losing my job after 22 years....

I have known this for about a week but have been so sick to my stomach I still can't process it....The Store/Gas Station/Car Wash i have been running for 22 years (had I made it too September) is being sold too Stewarts.......The owner can't make money at these prices and is putting out more and more money every week just to keep fuel in the tanks while making zero profit in the process. These mom and pop stores can't survive in this climate. We struggled terrible under Obama but plowed through it and my owner can't outlay this money for another three years. I understand it, I do and see the numbers every day, but it still sucks.....So i guess I'll be starting over at 49 years old....No idea what I am going to do but at least I have about a month and will be getting some severance....

For those of you that think this should be in the political section, I don't care, this is very personal to me......Who you vote for has real effects on real people.....

• Sad 18

I know right where your place is. So sorry that it will now be another Stewarts. Sometimes change can work out for us in life, to be so much better. That is my hope for you my friend. Hang in there! Better days are ahead!!!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Terrible. Best of luck on your future endeavors. Can you work for Stewart's?

Stewarts wants me to train to run one of their stores but after 22 years of doing whatever i want, how i want, when i want, however i want, I'm not sure how well i would get a long there but it is an option and one I am thinking about...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Stewarts wants me to train to run one of their stores but after 22 years of doing whatever i want, how i want, when i want, however i want, I'm not sure how well i would get a long there but it is an option and one I am thinking about...

Sorry for the job loss but to be honest there are not many jobs out there where you can do what you want unless you are self employed. Best of luck

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Sorry for the job loss but to be honest there are not many jobs out there where you can do what you want unless you are self employed. Best of luck

I totally agree, i have been very fortunate.....to bad that fortune has been ruined by an installed president....

• Like 6

On 6/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, ApexerER said:

I totally agree, i have been very fortunate.....to bad that fortune has been ruined by an installed president....

Not sure how your blaming this all on Biden. Unemployment is at a record low. If there's one thing this economy can provide you it's another job. Employers are looking for people and wages have gone up. Working at the same place for a lifetime in America has been a thing of the past for a long time now. You might be surprised at what's out there as far as employment opportunities are concerned 

3 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Not sure how your blaming this all on Biden. Unemployment is at a record low. If there's one thing this economy can provide you it's another job. Employers are looking for people and wages have gone up. Working at the same place for a lifetime in America has been a thing of the past for a long time now. You might be surprised at what's out there as far as employment opportunities are concerned 

He shut down the Keystone pipeline and took other measures to squander America’s energy independence on his first day in office.  No single individual is more directly responsible for the high prices we are paying at the pump and the failing economy we are all experienced today.  The sad part is, he don’t know no better .  I am not blaming him when the fault lies entirely with the fools who voted for him.  Anyone with half a brain could see his incompetence by listening to a single sentence of his speech. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

. Working at the same place for a lifetime in America has been a thing of the past for a long time now. 

Yes and no good places and good bosses  retain employees.  Where I work we just retired a guy with 50 years of service . Most of the guys I work with have 10 to 15 years  some with as much as 30 to 40 . I have 24. I have had 14 department heads in 20 years. Management have the attitude that if I can't be plant manager  in 3 years I'm going some place else. Nothing invested nothing lost . People don't leave bad jobs they leave  bad bosses.  Current boss is late 30's he has driven alot of good people out that were in their 50s . Wish he would move on so we can save some good people. We know his time is limited ... just hope he leaves soon .

If you invest in your people you invest in your future. I guess it depends on where you are at on the food chain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Not sure how your blaming this all on Biden.

True.  He only shares the blame with all the leftists, Democrats and all the stupid people who voted for him.

Sorry to hear this ApexerER and also very angry after hearing it.  I would consider taking the Stewarts position to continue getting paid and staying in the work force, but I would continue looking for what I wanted, because there is no longer a long term investment in your job to worry about working for them. 

Opportunities are out there right now.  Don't settle either.  Employers are very agreeable to employee demands right now.  If they want you, they will agree to your terms.  You have the power in the game right now, but being forced into it is still a crime.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

22 years is a long time at one place of employment.  That is an accomplishment and something that shouldn't be glanced over.   Id imagine you are a solid employee with a cache of priceless skill to offer.  About a year ago I had interviewed for a position not in my field, but I was able to draw parallels.  Point being you have been in the real world there is nothing that can be thrown your way you cant handle, which a college degree cant teach you. Hopefully after 22 years of loyal employment, the owners are compensating you accordingly with their sale and not just cashing in for themselves.   Godspeed!

Retail has been plummeting for twenty years. I had most of my career in retail, and there has been little future in it for a very long time. Sorry for your life change, but in many cases the buy out such as you are looking at results in better hours, better benefits. I saw the writing on the wall long ago and took the opportunity to retrain in a job proof career with much better pay , hours and benefits...at your age. (health care).

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

He shut down the Keystone pipeline and took other measures to squander America’s energy independence on his first day in office.  No single individual is more directly responsible for the high prices we are paying at the pump and the failing economy we are all experienced today.  The sad part is, he don’t know no better .  I am not blaming him when the fault lies entirely with the fools who voted for him.  Anyone with half a brain could see his incompetence by listening to a single sentence of his speech. 

He knows better, it is 100% on purpose.....

Biden praises gas prices as part of 'incredible transition' (nypost.com)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They do not give a single F about the poor and middle class they claim to champion. Their answer is literally "buy an electric car for $60k"

Yup, and it was there for anyone with a brain to see before the election....This was from the debate but there was tons of evidence this was what he was going to do before the election, including saying he was going to start a war with the oil industry and one moron on here has the nerve to say not sure why you would blame Biden....

Did Joe Biden Really Say He’d ‘Close Down the Oil Industry’? - Foundation for Economic Education (fee.org)