Teacher vs Student Debate, Fun times

Robinson446

My teacher and I got into an arguement this morning. Soon into it i realized he was dumber than he looks. He began telling me we need to remove all guns from homes, because there is no reason a house should have a automatic weapon, and that leaded to the gun shooting at the school in CT on friday. I looked at him like he was stupid. I said, first off, it was a AR15 223. which is a SEMI AUTOMATIC, Which is also a hunting and plinking rifle, not a automatic military rifle. We argued the enitire class on this subject. What are your guys' opininons on this subject???

Exactly. I told him, out of my cold dead hands they are getting my guns. He then said, Ill be willing to bet, and ill ppay up on this bet, ive never had someone come into my house with a gun and i bet nobody ever will. And I said alright, well when they do, you call the cops, and wait 15 minutes for them to get there to save you and your family, and when someone breaks into my house, by the time someone picks up the phone to call the police, all they are gonna have to bring is a body bag to clean him up, because my gun will protect my house and my family quicker then a police officer will!

• Like 1

Exactly. I told him, out of my cold dead hands they are getting my guns. He then said, Ill be willing to bet, and ill ppay up on this bet, ive never had someone come into my house with a gun and i bet nobody ever will. And I said alright, well when they do, you call the cops, and wait 15 minutes for them to get there to save you and your family, and when someone breaks into my house, by the time someone picks up the phone to call the police, all they are gonna have to bring is a body bag to clean him up, because my gun will protect my house and my family quicker then a police officer will!

Led, my friend...led.

• Like 1

Sounds like you will be repeating this class, LOL. Never argue with the guy who signs the checks or hands out grades.

All kidding aside, any of us who own guns should get ready for a long hard fight. I'm assuming it's a lot simpler to just say "ban all guns" than it is to look at our young people, mental illness, and what our society is becoming/has become....

Robinson my man ..... where have you been? Good to hear from you again.

Ok, first of all there are three things you never want to argue with a teacher over. That would be politics, religion and firearms ... lol. These are all things that you will always lose in one way or another. Understand that your teacher is not your buddy or your friend, but rather a person of authority that has your future in your hands. It's kind of like having those kinds of arguments with your boss. You lose before you even begin. Was this by any chance your English teacher?

As far as your stance on the subject, there's nothing there that I would argue with. But you need to know who to pick your arguments with. Understand that teachers are people too, and as such may be impaired with certain trained-in, political orientations. You just know, or at least by now you have found out, that there is no way that you are ever going to change your teacher's mind. So learn to pick your battles and try to argue only over things that lack emotionality. Also, never do battle with people who can hurt you. Also, try to see teachers as a resource, and not an adversary. They are there to help you educationally and are experts in doing that. Take advantage of what they have to offer and try to ignore the rest.

• Like 1

the real problem...teachers work for us...and should leave there opinion at home and do there job

however they don't....my daughter has a teacher that loves obama....had my daughter coming home telling me how great he is.....that does not go over with me.....I ran into her at the christmas pagent....and asked her to leave her godless hippie opinion at home.....that did not go over well

as parents we need to watch what they are teaching in school....make a point to be involved....go to school board meetings

• Like 1

Oh boy!!! are you seriously on EVERY ONES list now...Hahaha

You poor thing...yep first person checked out when something goes wrong...whether you'll ever know or not

My Stepsister called in a bomb threat at school....Thank heavens I did not skip algebra that morning...when the detective met me at the house...we were loaded on buses and sent right home...he told me what happened...I said no way...me maybe not her...He said I was the first person they checked on!!...mind you honor student at that....lol

Edited by growalot

the real problem...teachers work for us...and should leave there opinion at home and do there job

however they don't....my daughter has a teacher that loves obama....had my daughter coming home telling me how great he is.....that does not go over with me.....I ran into her at the christmas pagent....and asked her to leave her godless hippie opinion at home.....that did not go over well

as parents we need to watch what they are teaching in school....make a point to be involved....go to school board meetings

That's a real good point. We have no idea what is being passed off as fact in our schools. I have heard about teaches that go out of their way to make anti-hunting, anti-gun, and politically motivated comments in class. It sure would be nice if they didn't. On the other hand like I said above, teachers are people too, and have certain agendas and built-in biases that they might be tempted to push. Also for some of them the power to influence impressionable children may occur to them as a way to indoctrinate. Since there is no one there to monitor classes for such things, I wouldn't be surprised if such things might be happening quite often. I have no idea how that can be stopped.

He stated before his talk, I shouldn't bring my opinions into this, but... And right there I knew I was in for a long class. I kept my mouth shut as I knew was best for the longest I could, and finally when he said, "oh something needs to be done, this can't go on." I said your right, something needs to be done, but why is taking guns away an answer? Why is taking my right to have a gun the cause of this? Because guns kill people? Please, tell me more about how you hear on the news about the shooting spree's at gun ranges where safety is the first priority. Because I don't think guns are the problem, I think the crazy people who are getting their hands on guns and using them on others are the thing we need to take care of, not the guns themselves. Because ill stand up and speak for everyone that won't stand up, every one that sits on the side line and let people like you try banging into our heads that guns are such a bad thing. Guns are not the problem, it's people who aren't right in the head having a gun. And I'll tell you what right now, you think there's chaos in the world now? Go ahead and try taking the right to bear arms away from millions of citizens, tell me how that works for you, cuz I'm not giving up my guns because we have crazy people running around the street with guns, if anything I'm going to go out and buy more guns to protect my house, my family, and my life from those crazy people who have guns and ill bet 9 times outta 10 shootings and break ins wouldn't occurs at places where people know they are people in that house or building that are carrying a concealed weapon. He then began to tell me how he'll bet money nobody's gonna break into his house with a gun or he won't ever be threatened by a gun and if we are so capable of taking care of ourselves we shouldn't have police officers and such. I just laughed. Cuz yes, police officers are here to protect us, but by the time one gets to me to help me, me and my family are gonna be dead and the guys going to be long gone... That's why I have a gun, that's why I support my right to own one!

This is my opinion on the matter.

beat me to it.

but the term automatic being thrown around drives me nuts, i dont even argue with someone who has not even bothered to research the topic. I will discuss with anyone who is at least open to debate and knowledgeable. I also would have politely reminded my teacher that he is here to teach a subject and not his beliefs.

Robinson446, when you initiate a conversation about intelligence or the lack of it, do yourself a favor and use the spell check feature on your computer. You discredit yourself before you have made your point when you have spelled numerous words incorrectly.

Always,always,always swim with the current when you are attempting to get the best grade you can get. It would take a very big person on the part of a teacher to score well on a debate or topic that a teachers personal views didn't align with.

Ask me how well I did on the paper I wrote many years ago in my college ethics class on reverse discrimination. :)

You were suggesting that a person was dumber than they looked in your description to those who were reading your words here, while proceeding to misspell multiple words.

In your last post you misspelled the word spelled.

I was sincerely trying to help you. In the future I will not do something like this in an open forum. I will do it privately.

You made many good points in your conversation with your teacher. Good luck in the class.

How did I discredit myself when I was talking to him in person so how would I have spelt words wrong? I was simply telling the conversation. My spelling isn't what the debate is about, but thanks for your kind words.

For me it was your grammar not your spelling. So if you talk how you type, then you may have lost the argument right there. But like others have said, arguing with a teacher who feels strongly about something, especially when it's very fresh in most peoples minds will not end well for you.