NYONews/Sounding Board--Possible Lead Ammo Ban On Public Lands?!

I just read the latest issue of- New York Outdoor News. This Lead Ammo Ban seems to be moving faster.. Only Public Lands to be affected- Private-- for the moment- not.

I am hoping obviously that nothing will happen as far as a Ban. I only have access to State/Public Lands.

Hoping nothing " Passes" quietly before October and Hunting Seasons begin.

And ,I am not seeing any Copper pellets for Pheasant  Ammo. Certainly  not at the recent Middletown Gun Show unless,I missed it.

Thoughts...

You have to read the bill. It's public lands with surface water run off that goes into the NYC water supply.

https://deerassociation.com/action-alert-oppose-lead-ammo-bans-on-new-yorks-public-lands/

New York Assembly Bill 5728 (A5728) prohibits the use of lead ammunition in the taking of wildlife on wildlife management areas (WMAs), state forests, forest preserves, state parks or any other state-owned land that is open for hunting and on land contributing surface water to the New York city water supply. The bill has already passed the Assembly and has been referred to the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee.

https://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&leg_video=&bn=A05728&term=2021&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Text=Y

Posted (edited)

I have been predicting and harping about this right on this board for a long time, this is back door gun control and anti hunting at it's best pure and simple, when you control the ammo you will control guns. This is the California model, start small and incrementally keep adding until traditional ammo is completely banned. Legal sport hunting and shooting sports in California are a shadow of what it once was. 

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Did any of you guys take the survey on lead ammo from the DEC?

I've taken a bunch of surveys over the past couple of years, I believe this was one of them. I also sent some emails on the subject with no reply from anyone.

5 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I've taken a bunch of surveys over the past couple of years, I believe this was one of them. I also sent some emails on the subject with no reply from anyone.

Yeah I got one this year. DEC is concerned with the lead fragments in our venison and in the lead left out there after we shoot. Meaning fish and game ingest those fragments. 

Just now, First-light said:

Yeah I got one this year. DEC is concerned with the lead fragments in our venison and in the lead left out there after we shoot. Meaning fish and game ingest those fragments. 

I have never broken a filling on lead fragments. lol

Posted (edited)

I just don't see it being the issue it's being made out to be. It's the whole save the predator birds issue, and most of those breeds are on the rise, not the decline around here. The sanctuary on the other side of the Hudson from me has reported a nice increase in populations, even the eagles.

Shouldn't be a concern this far upstate, nothing up my way is running into the NYC water reserves. But sure sucks for the downstate hunters near the city.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling