Savage 220 Slug gun

Does anyone own one of these ? My oldest son wants to buy one for deer hunting .

I looked up reviews on the gun and folks claim they are tack drivers but have many negative responses concerning the bolt doesn't stay locked down and some slugs will jam or won't extract .

Moog has one and loves it.

I think it is a tack driver...that gun and the H&R 20g bull barrel are the two best stock shooting slug guns out there imo.

The only complaint I can see about that gun is that they (rightfully, however) put all of the cost into the barrel and working internals. The stock is pretty standard fare, and I probably rate the stock as being less than average quality, despite being extremely functional. In the end, I'd rather have an ugly gun that works like a champ. Good buy for sure.

Edited by phade

The 220F .20 ga. Get in line Eddie I know a few guys with them and a ton more who want one. All love it, one guy at work wife's dropped a deer at a ranged 194 yards this year with hers.

One of my co -workers has almost a waiting list of guys who are barrowing it to try out.

I just got quoted a price of $467 for one, but then there is a special rail and scope to add .

3 inch Barnes Expanders seems to be the choice of many .

After hearing all the claims and having read about them in several magazines, I bought one this year and initially had accuracy problems with it. I've heard of a few others with similar issues. I swabbed it out with JB bore cleaner (100 strokes) and the accuracy came in real good. I tried several sizes and brands of slugs and got my best accuracy with the 3" Remington Accutips. Groups right around 1 1/4" at 100 yds off of a bench rest. The only thing I don't like is the bolt handle is real close to the scope. I can't use my rear scope cap without turning them at a wierd angle or else the bolt handle will hit the scope cap release button (left handed gun). Very satisfied with everything else though.

I don't own one but my brother in-law and his father both hunt with them. They are both what I would call "accuracy anal" and they both swear by them. they talk to me like Im a cave man for hunting with my pump. I think they shoot Lightfields through them.

I have also heard that they are hard to come by.

I got mine last fall! The best decision I've ever made! It is a great tack driver! I've taken deer at 20 yards and at 150! The 3" Remington Accutips shoot great out of this shotgun. I'm getting my wife/daughter one for Christmas. The only problem that I have is the butt absorber is very flimsy. I need to replace it after 1 year :( !

Prolly one of best slug throwers on the market now... mine will shoot 1inch groups at 100yds... heres a pic of when i was testing what slugs mine liked

002-15-1.jpg

That is an awesome group!

The following is not directed at you, but just some knowledge for some hunters who might be new to "long range shotgun hunting."

Just be aware with many shotgun slugs/sabots, the wind can move them an awful lot when traveling over a hundred yards. You might still want to limit the yardage you shoot at a deer.

At 200 yards with wind, this might be an amount measured in feet, not inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the plunge today and bought the Savage 220 with black stock . Picked up the scope rail and some new blue loc-tite . The shop didn't have the scope mounts that were recommended so I went to the Walworth Custom Gun Shop and talked to Dave . The recommended mounts were Weaver style Leopold Mounts ( $40 ). Dave showed me the Weaver mounts . I asked what the difference was and he replied " about $25 " .

I havn't bought a scope yet but I figured it would be a 40 or 42 mm objective . I have looked at Burris , Leopold , Nikon , Bushnell , Weaver and Redfield . I like the Redfield Revenge the best of any of the scopes . Redfield is owned by Leopold .