Then and now

Nomad

Then: House- $30,000 for a nice place with a bit of land.

Now: House- $500,000 for a fixer upper with a 20x40' backyard.

Then: "I ain't doin my chores, I wanna go hang out with my friends." - X<SMACK>X

Now: What chores?

Then: $.68 per gallon for gas.

Now: $10.98 per gallon for gas.

Then: $.14 per pound for ground beef.

Now: $6.99 per pound for ground beef.

Then: $5.99 for 20 rounds of 30/06 ammo.

Now: $59.99 for 20 rounds of 30/06 ammo.

Then: "Hey Bubba, I forgot to get the wife a birthday present. Wanna but my 12ga for $50?". "Sure. I'll meet ya up the SudznBoobs after work.".

Now: "Hey Bubba, need to sell my shotgun for $800 ya interested?". "Sure, but I can only give ya $650 'cause I gotta pay them transer fees.". "Well, OK, I'll meet ya at the gun shop, and I sure hope you don't get a delay 'cause I need to fix the brain on my truck pretty darn soon.".

Then: "Hey Jonny, wanna go fishn'?". "You bet your britches I do! I'll meet ya at the lake with a 6er and some bait!".

Now: "Hey Jon, ya wanna go fishin'?". "Na, I gotta get on them social media forums and post pictures of my dingleberry flavored beer.".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Biggest thing I see now is a lack of pecking order. When I was in school what is now bulling  was how kids knew where to fall in line. If a boy wanted to wear a skirt to school, fine but he was gonna have a long recess. 

A Pecking order is important in society. It is part of becoming a functional part of society.All animals establish them. Now all kids are told they are equal,and  everone is a leader. 

Formative life skill,  no. But  a basic life skill , yes. And as Shoots 100 said it teaches kids to walk before they can run . And do a Google search of  U.S. millionaires/ billionaires that ran lemonade stands  etc. when they were kids, you’ll find lots of them that wasted their time. 

I think the last time I did laundry I was in my early 20’s…. My life skills have afforded me the opportunity to pay someone else to do it.

That being said chores are very important for kids, making bed, feeding animals, cleaning their own bathroom. They teach structure and responsibility.

I agree it’s the start at the bottom and work your way up mentality that kids have forgotten these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Chef said:

I think the last time I did laundry I was in my early 20’s…. My life skills have afforded me the opportunity to pay someone else to do it.

That being said chores are very important for kids, making bed, feeding animals, cleaning their own bathroom. They teach structure and responsibility.

I agree it’s the start at the bottom and work your way up mentality that kids have forgotten these days.

Tell me more about not doing laundry? That seems  crazy to me. You have kids? EVERYTHING is subbed out? I hate doing laundry, but quite the necessary evil.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chef said:

Tell me more about not doing laundry? That seems  crazy to me. You have kids? EVERYTHING is subbed out? I hate doing laundry, but quite the necessary evil.

26 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I support a @Chef laundry avoidance thread to learn how his utter distaste for laundry shaped him into the successful man he is today. Did his parents rub his face in dirty clothes, like @rob-c did with his children? Precocious @Paula awoke one morning and said, “no more beatings” and then she left home. Did @Chef do the same but instead proclaiming “no more laundry!” ? 

• Like 1

I support a [mention=762]Chef[/mention] laundry avoidance thread to learn how his utter distaste for laundry shaped him into the successful man he is today. Did his parents rub his face in dirty clothes, like [mention=5579]rob-c[/mention] did with his children? Precocious [mention=1068]Paula[/mention] awoke one morning and said, “no more beatings” and then she left home. Did [mention=762]Chef[/mention] do the same but instead proclaiming “no more laundry!” ? 

No I just brought my laundry to a wash dry and fold place and now have a housekeeper that does it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I support a @Chef laundry avoidance thread to learn how his utter distaste for laundry shaped him into the successful man he is today. Did his parents rub his face in dirty clothes, like @rob-c did with his children? Precocious @Paula awoke one morning and said, “no more beatings” and then she left home. Did @Chef do the same but instead proclaiming “no more laundry!” ? 

No no no , you don’t rub their face in them,  that would be abuse , you make them wear the same pants and shirt till they get so stiff they have no choice but to wash them . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, kpkot said:

My friend does laundry, $10-15 a load. Crazy

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:31 PM, Versatile_Hunter said:

That’s an important perspective. Thanks for sharing. It’s also important to consider the cost of a university degree in the ‘60s vs today. We were fortunate - my sib and I had merit scholarships and our education debt has never been burdensome. That said, reigning in tuition costs should be as important a consideration as our ability to own ARs at the ballot.  

On 6/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, Lawdwaz said:

So who or what has caused things to be the way they are today in your opinion?

On 6/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

The internet. 

Here's my 2 cents based on everything quoted and above.  The bold is a clue.  It goes back to government/politics and the education system.  The cost of a University degree is because most educators vote (and indoctorate) a certain political way.  That got rewarded with guaranteed student loans to support raising education costs and keeping the cycle going.  

It's not the internet.  That is just a communication vehicle.  It was the political ideology of "It takes a village".  Meaning it takes the government to educate and raise your children.  They are taught discipline is child abuse, this country is racist, one political party is evil, etc etc etc.  The education system now doesn't teach them how to critically think but what to think.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

It's not the internet.  That is just a communication vehicle.  It was the political ideology of "It takes a village".  Meaning it takes the government to educate and raise your children.  They are taught discipline is child abuse, this country is racist, one political party is evil, etc etc etc.  The education system now doesn't teach them how to critically think but what to think.  

If you let the village raise your child then your child is the village idiot . Society has raised to many village  idiots ! 

There is this funny thing where some folks look back at how hard they had it with nostalgia. My dad grew up poor. He makes the same kind of "good ole day" comments, but doesn't hesitate to point out how shitty it was either. Wearing worn out shoes and pants wasn't something he looked back on with fondness. Getting whooped under phone wasn't something he looked back on and thinks it's what made him the way he is today. In fact, I would argue much of what some of the 60+ crowd lived through was bad enough that you didn't raise your kids that way. You said, NOPE didn't like that and won't do it my kids. And kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's (my generation) are who you're bitching about. Ya'll were the f'n parents of us lol.

Anyhow, it's completely normal for you to want your kids to have a better life than you did. Generally that means they have more luxuries. I didn't get my first pair of cleats till middle school. First pair of actual baseball pants till 5th grade. Now my 3rd grader is rocking $60 bryce harpers. Why? Because I can afford it. What kind of parent would I be if I made him wear shitty sneakers when I could afford otherwise? Do I think my kids don't appreciate what they have? Absolutely and it drives me nuts. Do I understand that they have no frame of reference for that? Of course.

So what does someone who is successful do? Well for me it's still doing chores around the house. It's bringing my kids with me to their great grandparents house to help out. To teach them why helping others is important. To help them feel the joy of good honest work and the reward for it. 

The biggest revelation I've had as a dad is that we're all just kind of making this up as we go along. As a kid you just think your parents have it all figured out. f that lol. But do I think my kids need to ride their bikes without helmets or in cars without seatbelts and that I need to sew their $15 jeans up? No. That's not going to do anything to make them better humans. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 6

My dad would never go thru a drive thru. He said if your too lazy to get out of the friggin car to get food then you don't need it. Now we rarely rarely ever ate any kind of fast food as he was a chef. Lol. Funny thing is I still do the same.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Belo said:

There is this funny thing where some folks look back at how hard they had it with nostalgia. My dad grew up poor. He makes the same kind of "good ole day" comments, but doesn't hesitate to point out how shitty it was either. Wearing worn out shoes and pants wasn't something he looked back on with fondness. Getting whooped under phone wasn't something he looked back on and thinks it's what made him the way he is today. In fact, I would argue much of what some of the 60+ crowd lived through was bad enough that you didn't raise your kids that way. You said, NOPE didn't like that and won't do it my kids. And kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's (my generation) are who you're bitching about. Ya'll were the f'n parents of us lol.

Anyhow, it's completely normal for you to want your kids to have a better life than you did. Generally that means they have more luxuries. I didn't get my first pair of cleats till middle school. First pair of actual baseball pants till 5th grade. Now my 3rd grader is rocking $60 bryce harpers. Why? Because I can afford it. What kind of parent would I be if I made him wear shitty sneakers when I could afford otherwise? Do I think my kids don't appreciate what they have? Absolutely and it drives me nuts. Do I understand that they have no frame of reference for that? Of course.

So what does someone who is successful do? Well for me it's still doing chores around the house. It's bringing my kids with me to their great grandparents house to help out. To each them why helping others is important. To help them feel the joy of good honest work and the reward for it. 

The biggest revelation I've had as a dad is that we're all just kind of making this up as we go along. As a kid you just think your parents have it all figured out. f that lol. But do I think my kids need to ride their bikes without helmets or in cars without seatbelts and that I need to sew their $15 jeans up? No. That's not going to do anything to make them better humans. 

You sir, nailed it. I'm a newer father, and the point about "making things up as we go along" is spot on. Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belo said:

So what does someone who is successful do? Well for me it's still doing chores around the house. It's bringing my kids with me to their great grandparents house to help out. To teach them why helping others is important. To help them feel the joy of good honest work and the reward for it. 

Spot on.

I'm only 51, but we started out pretty poor. Lived in a plastic wrapped wood framed "hut" in MA  until I was 2.

When we moved to NY I remember taking baths in the tub with my brother while mom poured hot(felt scalding) water, heated up on a woodstove, over our heads for a bath. We never had hot running water until I was 10.  Any time there was a hard rain it was an opportunity for a shower under the valley of the house.lol.

Unfortunately punishment in our house ussually was more like abuse. 

As a parent I swore to never raise my hand to my child, and successfully raised a great kid. I can remember many a time where even a little slap would be the quickest way to solve a problem. But , a lot of patience and consistency pays off . I'm pretty nice , and my kids is admittedly spoiled compared to my upbringing but she is a great person  and knows right from wrong.

I see many fellow parents and hear them complain. " why does my kid do this or that" "they won't help, it's easier to do it yourself" etc.

HELLO! YOU where the main influence(or should have been) in  raising that kid to be who they are.

• Like 2