Looking for land access in CT - $

I spent the first 25 years of my life in CT- trust me it is a lot easier to get hunting permission than in NY, at least for a CT resident. There is a inherent distrust for anyone driving a car with NY plates in CT...

Also- The chances of finding a CT landowner on this site interested in leasing their land  are pretty darned slim. Seriously- go to CT and start knocking on doors. It really is the only option.

Biz, if you want to take a ride and knock on a few doors I'll go with you. What area

you looking at?

Anywhere close to NY border. I know of some good archery only state land in CT, but looking for more options (private).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

U have got to be kidding abt tommy hilfiger he has many ppl he knows who work on the property that ask, most people have there landscaper or garbage man u wont get far knocking on doors... How much u willing to pay i have a couple dozen spots right over the ct line. Bait is not the key, big boys know it does not belong and will not come to it during daylight FOR THE MOST PART

U have got to be kidding abt tommy hilfiger he has many ppl he knows who work on the property that ask, most people have there landscaper or garbage man u wont get far knocking on doors... How much u willing to pay i have a couple dozen spots right over the ct line. Bait is not the key, big boys know it does not belong and will not come to it during daylight FOR THE MOST PART

$ depends on the property n how many others will have access. Please PM to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

$ depends on the property n how many others will have access. Please PM to discuss.

I'm still waiting to hear back from you. Check your PMs.

• 2 months later...

While I was banned from this site, I might have finally found a private piece of land in CT. Going to look this Saturday the 13th. Some multi-million dollar house on 12 acres. They are having problems with the deer eating all their plants and shrubs. They "hate deer". I told them I would give them $500 for access for the rest of 2013 if I go up there and see a good amount of deer sign, etc.

I'm pumped!

Here's a map of the area I am going to see on Saturday.

Spot "A" is the big 10,000 sq. ft house, tennis court, swimming pool, basketball court, housekeepers cottage, etc. I assume their property comes down towards the bottom of the picture. I see a lot of farmland nearby, hopefully this little section of woods is where the deer bed. Then I can catch them coming to/from the fields, where I assume they eat.

ANY SUGGESTIONS when checking out land like this for the first time? Thanks in advance. Also, FYI -- This piece of land is not in zones 11 or 12 where baiting is legal in CT.

post-871-0-80291300-1373549763_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised you had to pay. I would attempt to get access from one of the other houses on the side road that runs SE. That way you could come in from the downwind side. AND- probably only hunt in the mornings when deer are coming back to bed. Keep an eye out for Oaks- they might be a hidden food source within the property.

I have never been up there yet. I found an ad on craigslist to rent their house for some crazy amount. When I saw 12 acres, I figured I'd offer up $ to hunt the land and not use the house.  If things don't look good when I get there, I won't pay.

This is quote from her email to me:

"Sounds great! We'd love to have you come visit. My husband George HATES deer as we have extensive gardens and they are destroying them. We see deer every single day, often entire families sleeping in the brush on the edge of the property. When would you like to come out to see it?"

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I suspect you will like what you see.

Hopefully.  So far we only talked about my crossbow. If i do like what I see, when I have them sign the consent form is when I can bring up gun hunting.  Because they have 10+ acres, I could use a rifle or shotgun.  

The way I read the rules, I am allowed 2 either sex deer and 2 anterless deer with my archey license and 1 either sex deer and 1 anterless deer with a firearms license.

3 buck tags would be nice. It's weird how in CT, you dont get actual tags, you can print as many as you want, they just put the trust in you, to obey the laws depending on your hunting zone.

Harvest tag attached.

CT HarvestTags2013.pdf

Yesterday I went to look at the land....

Cons:

• Of the 12 acres, only 7 is wooded and huntable.
  • The neighboring property is owned by some anti-hunting lady.

Pros:

• The wooded area where I can hunt is pretty much the only wooded area surrounded by neighbors corn and other farm fields.
  • The spot that looked best to me is almost like creek bottom, but not water running, just swampy stuff. (see pic from the bottom, where I set my trail cam).  I saw tons of sign and kicked up 2 bucks that were bedded down. It was 11:00am. Both bucks looked like 4's or 6's in velvet. The landowner said "oh those are small bucks, the ones I usually see have much bigger antlers".
  • The owners were cool and said I can come and go as I please, just need to text them my plans.
  • They are allowing me to use a shotgun there in addition to my crossbow, so I now will have 6 tags. 3 either sex, 3 antlerless. I am only interested in shooting bucks though.
  • They allowed me to put up a trail camera.

All in all, it was pretty successful so I paid the $500 cash and I'm pumped to start hunting 9/16 on a totally new piece of land. The bow season is 9/16 - 12/31, gun season is 11/20-12/10. Only negative is no sunday hunting in CT. It will be nice to hunt in warm weather for a change. I will head back up there a few more times before the season to check the cam and scout around.

post-871-0-37720200-1373817250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I hope so. Hopefully finally take a shot with my xbow at a buck.

Hopefully it won't be to long that you can take that xbow shot in New York State...we are surrounded by states where its legal to hunt with them.....OHHH..I FORGOT....We have politician SWEENEY to thank

Hopefully it won't be to long that you can take that xbow shot in New York State...we are surrounded by states where its legal to hunt with them.....OHHH..I FORGOT....We have politician SWEENEY to thank