Chainsaw

Paula

I bought my self a battery operated one so I didn't have to wait for help.  I have never use one at all. It's easier than I thought. 

The chain becomes loose and I have to tighten it and that is annoying. Not sure if that is normal. 

I will be cutting a pine tree down when I have the guts. Lol 

IMG_20220606_190959183.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Be careful as you learn.

Maybe watch a few YouTube videos on felling trees. 

One bad cut can ruin your day.

A set of chaps is not a bad idea either. 

Thanks for the advice

The tighnee should have some kind of lock.   Chainsaws are easy till accident happens...  friend was helping me fell trees and he had one bounce up and back hittìng hi s shoulder and knocking him over.. tore tendons in shoulder and knee.  Stiĺl doing rehab..lucky didnt strike  him in head and kill him.. ot was only a small tree about 4 inches  in diameter.....  wear protective equipment ! 

Dropping trees is a skill best left to others  if you dont have experiance,  dead trees are the most   dangerous..  as are leaners.   Special cuts and wedges may be needed to  drop safely. 

You tube  is informative but every tree is different.  And its not alway as easy as it looks as profesionals are showing you on a couple of minute video. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paula said:

The chain becomes loose and I have to tighten it and that is annoying. Not sure if that is normal. 

This may sound stupid but make sure you are using bar & chain oil of some sort.  Only reason I point this out is that my brother-in-law, a newbie to chainsaws at the time, complained to me that the chain on his gas powered chainsaw was always getting loose and he asked me to take a look at it.  Turns out that he never used bar and chain oil causing the chain to heat up and stretch.  Once he started using the bar and chain oil, things go WAY better.

• Like 2

i was super happy with the 10" electric I bought. It was surprisingly adapt at smaller jobs. It's super light, on demand start and no gas stink which makes it great for light jobs and mid-season deer stand stuff. My dad liked it so much he went out and bought a 12 or 14 but the 40v vs the 20v I have. He said it's just as good as his gas, but obviously a little heavier than mine.

All chains, gas or electric will stretch a little when new and also as they warm up. It's a hot topic, but I believe there should be a little slack when you tug on the chain when cold. I know others feel differently. 

• Like 2

Chaps and a helmet with ear and face protection at a minimum.

Chainsaws are fast and dangerous as hell. Little trees can be more problematic than bigger trees.

When off, grab the chain and pull up to test the slack. The teeth that run in the bar should pull about halfway out. Too tight and it won't run correctly. Too loose and it can pop off.

Make sure you wrap your hands fully around the handles for control. Don't feather the trigger. It's either fully depressed or not.

Get used the engaging the brake and only starting when that brake is engaged. 

• Like 3

Too bad wooly isn't here more often. He is a chainsaw master!!!

Paula, take your time. Be extra careful. You should be fine. Is the pine tree very large? If so, wait for a little help to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paula said:

I bought my self a battery operated one so I didn't have to wait for help.  I have never use one at all. It's easier than I thought. 

I will be cutting a pine tree down when I have the guts. Lol 

IMG_20220606_190959183.jpg

So how tall is the pine tree ? 

I just dropped 1 of 4 pine trees with my ole stand-by stihl 039 .  Wife had to leave the house she thought I was going to hit it . I told her I could land it on a quarter, pick the spot .

For small light duty trimming that saw should work great . But I will take a gasser all day for most things . Stihl 170,029 and 039 are my go to.

20220604_170302.jpg

1 hour ago, left field said:

Chaps and a helmet with ear and face protection at a minimum.

Chainsaws are fast and dangerous as hell. Little trees can be more problematic than bigger trees.

When off, grab the chain and pull up to test the slack. The teeth that run in the bar should pull about halfway out. Too tight and it won't run correctly. Too loose and it can pop off.

Make sure you wrap your hands fully around the handles for control. Don't feather the trigger. It's either fully depressed or not.

Get used the engaging the brake and only starting when that brake is engaged. 

All good advice. Never heard about trigger on or off ?

Having 1000s of hrs with a chainsaw in hand.. I would add that no matter how easy it seems, never loose respect for the saw . The worst cuts I've ever seen were from a saw. Not mine luckily(knock on wood), I've only cut my knuckles a lot when sharpening. Lol.

When falling a tree, remember to never take your eyes off of it. All the way to the ground . It isn't uncommon for the tree to hit the ground and bounce funny or loose a branch that comes straight down, etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ncountry said:

All good advice. Never heard about trigger on or off ?

Having 1000s of hrs with a chainsaw in hand.. I would add that no matter how easy it seems, never loose respect for the saw . The worst cuts I've ever seen were from a saw. Not mine luckily(knock on wood), I've only cut my knuckles a lot when sharpening. Lol.

When falling a tree, remember to never take your eyes off of it. All the way to the ground . It isn't uncommon for the tree to hit the ground and bounce funny or loose a branch that comes straight down, etc...

The guy who taught me (and certified me in Game of Logging 1&2) told me about the feathering thing.

Yes to watching the tree. But at that point you should be at a safe distance 45 degrees from where the tree is expected to land.

Paula, you may want to get someone to look at it - electric company road crews are great for this - and save your saw for the bucking and limbing. Even so, be careful as as downed tree can react in all kinds of unexpected ways when you release tension. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I wonder if a member here could drop that tree for Paula?  If I was closer I’d do it in a heartbeat……

No I am good. I'll get it worked out one way or another. Thank you

I appreciate all the advise and warnings. 

1 hour ago, Paula said:

No I am good. I'll get it worked out one way or another. Thank you

I appreciate all the advise and warnings. 

I think we all did a good job at scaring you.  Don't be scared. lol

They are an awesome tool and can be run safely when  used properly.

• Like 1