Chainsaw

Paula

Just be careful even the most seasoned loggers can get hurt.  

Few years back my BIL who’s done fire wood since he was 10 forgot to look up before he cut a tree and never saw the widow maker.  It killed him instantly so always make sure you pay attention. 

• Sad 1

I see somebody mentioned The Game of Logging...this is a great course. Anyone who plans to spend much time with a blade in hand should take it. Plan ahead though, because slots fill fast And while there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to safety, I suspect that Youtube would suffice for simple limbing and homeowner use with a small electric saw.

Please be careful however when dropping dead trees. They can be very unpredictable. It sounds like your pine is small, but even so, a 10" blade and standing dead wood demands respect. It sounds like you're thinking this through carefully though.

Well played.

Quik story: one time, I dropped a lighting-struck pine for a friend where we had to navigate wires and a greenhouse to fell it - he repaid me with a bottle of Ledaig single malt - which would have been great if it wasn't like drinking Patchouli. Essence of the earth lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Just be careful even the most seasoned loggers can get hurt.  

Few years back my BIL who’s done fire wood since he was 10 forgot to look up before he cut a tree and never saw the widow maker.  It killed him instantly so always make sure you pay attention. 

Yes, there is a lot of logging in my area and it seems most every year a logger or farmer is killed.  And from experience I also agree dead trees are dangerous.  No telling what the top of a dead tree will do and the "hinge" from a dead tree can crack or pop, causing loss of control.  Please don't ask how I know these things...

If you can get a second person and rope the tree high to pull it in the general direction it needs to go the safety aspect will improve.  But they can't wrap rope around hand or be where tree will land. 

Dead trees are very problematic and unpredictable.  Rotton wood weigh less so the density of the tree can vary in parts changing the center of mass.   But I will admit, the pines are the easiest tree to drop on my land.  Aspen Cottonwood being the worst because of extensive hollows and widow makers.  I worry most about death from above.

Those electric saws are great for small jobs, but proper lube and chain tension is still essential.

Tree > rope < you ... the tree wins. I've seen videos of trees launching ATVs. 

You can put tension on a tree with a come-along, but then you have to climb up high to secure it. There are better ways to direct a tree. Wedges are amazing.

Paula, do you have a pic of the tree and which direction you think it should fall?

It is a good idea to have respect for any chainsaw and any tree for that matter. It is one of the few tools that can outright kill you. I started with a small saw and took a few years with that before graduating to a bigger one. 

I second getting someone to help you with the tree or fell it for you. It looks a lot easier than it is. Like most things really.

Edited by BowmanMike

Although I’ve run chainsaws since I was 14 I feel like the learning curve with an electric chainsaw would be real.   Besides the feel, the fact it’s got to be considerably quieter a person could drop their guard with it.   

Edited by Lawdwaz

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Although I’ve run chainsaws since I was 14 I feel like the learning curve with an electric chainsaw would be real.   Besides the feel, the fact it’s got to be considerably quieter a person could drop their guard with it.   

I agree. The instant start would throw me a bit. As it stands now I have to go through a checklist to start my machines which focuses me.

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

i haven't found it to be any different to be honest. I still wear all the same PPE, but only because my hardhat and shield have my muffs attached. If anything the chain doesn't spin as fast which means it stops quicker, which can be safer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Its about 30 seconds.

I bought a Milwaukee pole saw/leaf blower combo and was so impressed I bought the 16” chain saw to go with. That thing kicks ass.

And for frame of reference I cut between 5 and 6 full cords for myself a year, maybe another 2 for others.

I still use my 24” bar Stihl 390 for bigger stuff but the electric is damn good, and I can throw it inside the truck without the stink of gas.

I’ll never use my Stihl  2 stroke leaf blower again, its a dinosaur.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

I've got alot of tree's in my yard and have cut two out.am not the best with a saw but always keep an eye on my cuts and what's going to happen.learned some with cutting stuff up in woods with family...

cut one two weeks ago and was on the edge of taking out the line to the house.ive got alot I'd love to cut but won't touch em.too darn close to the house.using gpas old small homelite and uncles stihl 290 farm boss(both have passed away).gpa has an old 18 or 20" bar homelite that is heavy as hell,will never forget when he got through a shoulder high cut and it came down right onto his knee.. terrible and could have been worse!

20220528_165508.jpg

20220528_180546.jpg

20200522_201706.jpg

20200523_195620.jpg

Edited by doebuck1234
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

I've got alot of tree's in my yard and have cut two out.am not the best with a saw but always keep an eye on my cuts and what's going to happen.learned some with cutting stuff up in woods with family...

cut one two weeks ago and was on the edge of taking out the line to the house.ive got alot I'd love to cut but won't touch em.too darn close to the house.using gpas old small homelite and uncles stihl 290 farm boss(both have passed away).gpa has an old 18 or 20" bar homelite that is heavy as hell,will never forget when he got through a shoulder high cut and it came down right onto his knee.. terrible and could have been worse!

20220528_165508.jpg

20220528_180546.jpg

20200522_201706.jpg

20200523_195620.jpg

Looks like you two have a lot going on there 

9 hours ago, left field said:

Tree > rope < you ... the tree wins. I've seen videos of trees launching ATVs. 

You can put tension on a tree with a come-along, but then you have to climb up high to secure it. There are better ways to direct a tree. Wedges are amazing.

Paula, do you have a pic of the tree and which direction you think it should fall?

I want it to fall towards house but it looks like it will fall to shed

IMG_20220610_174459089_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220610_174523963_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

If you have the room for it to fall, I would drop it in the direction of the lean. It should be easy enough. 

Take a look at the notch here.

Replicate it and put the back cut where he does. The hinge between the two controls the tree as it falls. Your tree is a little small for a plunge cut - where you bore in just behind the notch and cut back - but a simple back cut will work. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Shorts ,tshirt a six of Genny good to go !

BC45B55A-BA34-4C35-8AB6-9F438F13722A.png

There is definitely an optimum liqueur level for operating a chainsaw.  If I have that just right, I can drop just about any tree on a dime.  3 or 4 Genny lights gets me is the “sweet spot”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Belo said:

i haven't found it to be any different to be honest. I still wear all the same PPE, but only because my hardhat and shield have my muffs attached. If anything the chain doesn't spin as fast which means it stops quicker, which can be safer.

Dropping trees its best to have a high speed chain an electric saw just doesnt have rpm to cut thru when ut starts dropping, other issue ive had is there is no indication that its  low on power it just stops..at least gas will sputter a bit letting you know its running out of gas. My electric just dies and always at most in oppertune time as tree is leaning.. creating a possible hinge / barber chair situation..  i stick with my gas saws when felling  but electric is nice for limbing and small cleanups .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

Dropping trees its best to have a high speed chain an electric saw just doesnt have rpm to cut thru when ut starts dropping, other issue ive had is there is no indication that its  low on power it just stops..at least gas will sputter a bit letting you know its running out of gas. My electric just dies and always at most in oppertune time as tree is leaning.. creating a possible hinge / barber chair situation..  i stick with my gas saws when felling  but electric is nice for limbing and small cleanups .

I have a 14” corded electric that I use on ladders if it is absolutely necessary to do so.  It’s light weight is nice, but the silent operation lets me hear the sounds of impending doom, when branches start breaking, barn roofs start falling, etc.  If I was up there with a loud gas saw, I’d take more limbs on the head, because I wouldn’t hear them coming over the sound of the exhaust.

Ladders and chain saws are a combination to avoid if at all possible as that video someone posted earlier clearly shows.  I managed that this morning, by wrapping a chain around the lower part of some big, freshly broken maple branches.

The branches broke part way and were left hanging down to the ground, when my great great grandfather’s last old barn fell down next to the tree.  Rather than borrow a pole saw or go up on a ladder, I ripped them down, from ground level with my tractor.  I reduced them to firewood and smalls down on the ground with my corded electric saw.   

Sure there’s some jagged edges up there now, but they will blend in in a year or two.  There’s enough left of the base of that one branch , so that I won’t even have to move the kids tire swing. 

77C712F8-BCF1-4A2B-9E71-2D54CA63A310.thumb.jpeg.4752f029e7f1bffd621a43580830c552.jpeg

477B13E1-0E3D-436C-A25C-55A54305EC3A.thumb.jpeg.bc9d980ac2b0e2ba448adc62664425cd.jpeg

You can see how close that barn came to the tree in the bottom photo.  Fortunately, the kids were not swinging when it fell.  That 11” square 36 ft long crossbeam, coming down from 16 ft up, might have done some serious damage. 

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've got one of these little buggers. Pretty handy. Also have gas ones but carry this to do stands .f351532e1d4f00c2b6af47faea642c3f.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I just bought a similar saw . A Milwaukee with battery and charger for $200 . I have two other batteries that are the same as the one that came with the saw that fit my Milwaukee Hoodie & Jacket . I have a lot of use for it around the house and trimming where I hunt . 

• Like 1