Thousand Island Mission

kpkot

So I am not a huge fisherman , but I like to do it. My knowledge on fishing is definitely lacking. I plan on going to Alexandria bay 3rd week of June.

My mission is to catch a Northern Pike. I have never caught this species and it's on the list. I do have a vessel , although not the most ideal boat, but I can troll and get around.

I bought a few stick baits and a couple blue fox 5s. What else am I missing for must have northern tackle?

Any spots I could expect some action, Would be awesome,  but not looking for anyone's honey hole. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

The blue fox spinners are great. Use perchy looking colors. You will get some. Find weed edges and bays. The main river and rocks usually not the best spots but weedy off the main river usually is. Little tip when the bait is about 3/4 of the way back increase your speed for the last way and it will often trigger strikes from followers. A six inch steel leader is a good idea. Don't need to troll just cast those spinners out and retrieve them back. Along weed edges.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Sometimes, steel leaders can be a turnoff in the ultra clear water.  I have had pretty good luck by just doubling my last foot of monofilament line.   I don’t target northerns much up there anymore, but when they are breaking off my spinnerbaits (they love big double willow leaf blade chartreuse spinnerbaits), I can usually stop that by doubling my last foot of line.  

Slow rolling big spinnerbaits over submerged weedbeds is usually a good way to get them.  They also love big weedless black rubber skirted bass jigs, tipped with a rubber shad-tail trailer.  

This 38 incher went for a chartreuse spinnerbait over a deep weed edge on Lake of the Isles. 
0FDA1CF9-FD9C-494A-BF8B-95AFAA183D98.thumb.jpeg.e875147b4d360090a403249466944b91.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Black and white daredevils ! Circa late ‘70s maybe early ‘80s somewhere on a Canadian river .

D5C0F713-B0FA-4E71-ABDD-FAE3D3FE4040.png

I second this except red and white. I'm not a good fisherman at all but did research before a trip up north a few years ago. Bought a couple of these and had a blast, five in one day. Second best fishing day ever for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kpkot said:

So I am not a huge fisherman , but I like to do it. My knowledge on fishing is definitely lacking. I plan on going to Alexandria bay 3rd week of June.

My mission is to catch a Northern Pike. I have never caught this species and it's on the list. I do have a vessel , although not the most ideal boat, but I can troll and get around.

I bought a few stick baits and a couple blue fox 5s. What else am I missing for must have northern tackle?

Any spots I could expect some action, Would be awesome,  but not looking for anyone's honey hole. 

Thanks in advance

Who’s watching the dawg?????

Can def get them on stick baits too. This one was on Jr thunderstruck but in early spring when they aren't as aggressive. 43". Not from the st Lawrence though. Biggest I've gotten out of there was about 38". Lots in the 22-26 " range though. f6bc30171922e4dd02098671656dc147.jpgbe3e1e2aa5dac09b98bbd115040e9656.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Who’s watching the dawg?????

He comes with us. We stay at a state park in the travel trailer. Best part if camping no dog sitter required. We're you volunteering lol?  

On 6/10/2022 at 10:14 PM, kpkot said:

Is that a Kodak shirt? Vintage ... I like it

Wasn’t vintage then !  My Dad had close to 40 years there . I have some glasses from that time, but breakage has caused the number to go from six to like two . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

English hooks on a steel leader with a sucker on a large bobber.... will catch more than you know what to do with

That sounds like a solid plan to fish from campsite. We're on water so some beers one evening sounds good.

• Like 2

Here is what I have so far. I need to pick up some steel leaders and some daredevils

20220612_150637.thumb.jpg.04b06a03f43d63b7f2d769766057bcbe.jpg
The big bills on those deep divers are mostly for trolling. But casting I like the spinners and that top green stick bait. Throw that out and twitch it aggressively back. Northerns like action. Don't be afraid to go bigger for some spinners. Larger willow leaf spinner baits are also a good bet. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Geeze.....I wish I was going with you  ( along with some Grillo's pickles)....

We would catch some pike for sure....BTW are you cute  ??.....Hehehehehe....

No i am very very very ugly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The big bills on those deep divers are mostly for trolling. But casting I like the spinners and that top green stick bait. Throw that out and twitch it aggressively back. Northerns like action. Don't be afraid to go bigger for some spinners. Larger willow leaf spinner baits are also a good bet. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing about it.

The big stick baits I just grabbed because they were big. I didn't buy any of the big ones just found them over the years walking the beaches.