My 2012-13 Shed Journal.

WNY Bowhunter

All the years I've scoured our place...not one shed...couple of dead buck in the streams but no sheds...I have spent 8 hrs' over the last 2 days and nothing...but some mighty fine rub lines in areas I didn't hunt much...but will next year...cow paths for tracks I even fought the rose bushes and waded through a lot of our swamp area...nada....should try at camp this coming week...before the cold hits again...Nice finds you have

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a little update on my most wanted sheds this year...

Newfolder38f.jpg?t=1356397801

I had his antlers in my hands yesterday, but not exactly the way that I wanted to see them. This landowner had allowed me to shed hunt his property for the past two years. When I approached him about looking for this deer's sheds a few weeks ago he threw me a major curveball by saying that he was going to try to find them this year. I was crushed!!! This deer was so patternable from late November though December that I just knew that his antlers were going to be easy to find this year. I was right. He found them last weekend laying out in one of the cloverfields where I had videoed this guy on x-mas eve within five minutes of searching. It's the only 5 minutes that he's ever looked for shed antlers too. I'm still sick about it. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

]

Most of the tines had chipped tips and several small abnormals were broken off too...

IMG_0165.jpg?t=1359327359

IMG_0168dd.jpg?t=1359327368

IMG_0167.jpg?t=1359327360

IMG_0170.jpg?t=1359327367

This year's antlers compared to the previous two years...

IMG_0166.jpg?t=1359327362

Oh man, what a pisser! Just goes to show you can't count your antlers before they're in the pile.

I try not to advertise much anymore that I shed hunt to landowners that give me permission to hike... maybe a bit deceptive, but I've found my own way around that. Nothing worse than loosing a good property because you showed your horns to the wrong people. Big antlers, or antlers in good numbers, have a crazy way of motivating folks to get out there to see what they've been missing after you turn them onto these treasures in their own backyards. At least now you know the search is off for them giants and can move on to the rest of them.

That's exactly what happened in this case. The property owner didn't even know what a shed antler was until I explained it him a couple of years back. However, he and his wife are anti-hunters and are very suspicious about letting people on to their land. This deer was just so visible in their cloverfields during daylight hours during november/decemeber that it ultimately ended up screwing me over big time...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

holy sheds! nice job!

i swear i couldnt find a shed if my life depended on it... i dont know if im looking in the wrong places or if im hitting it to early or to late. not sure if if other guys are finding them before me. i went out yesterday for a few hours, nothing...

A buddy of mine picked up the current year's shed from the heavy base buck saturday afternoon laying in his backyard. I was checking a picked cornfield at the time literally right across the road. Just my luck. They had no sightings of this deer all year.

The new shed has 8-pts...

IMG_0173t.jpg?t=1359929185

The current year's antler is in the middle...2011 antler is on the left and 2010 on the right:

IMG_0171n.jpg?t=1359929130

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

A buddy of mine picked up the current year's shed from the heavy base buck saturday afternoon laying in his backyard. I was checking a picked cornfield at the time literally right across the road. Just my luck. They had no sightings of this deer all year.

The new shed has 8-pts...

IMG_0173t.jpg?t=1359929185

The current year's antler is in the middle...2011 antler is on the left and 2010 on the right:

IMG_0171n.jpg?t=1359929130

This buck must only grow on one side,any pics of the deer these are from?

He's doesn't have the greatest genetics scorewise...probably lower 150's typical gross this year (plus trash) assuming that the other side resembles this one. The trophy status of this deer is in the fact that he must have been 7.5 or 8.5 years old this past season. He's an old warrior of the whitetail world!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Man, I wish we grew them like that around here.

I might take this shed hunting a little more serious if we did,lol! :haha:

What do the bases on those horns measure... or at least on the latest one you have you in posession?

The mass measurements at the narrowest point between the burr and browtine on my sheds are 6 inches each, the circumference around the burr/corona of each antler is close to 8 inches. I guess he was genetically programmed to put more growth into his basal area than in his tines...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter