Gypsy Moth Update 2022

Lawdwaz

They are a bit out of control in a few places here. Last week I went over to a local hiking area, and they were all over the place. When I was leaving, two dropped onto the windshield. Those little bastids have some strength in them tiny legs, once I got back onto the main road it took about 3 miles at 55 before they finally blew off.

Edited by DirtTime
Spelling, 'cause spall chuck is all slang new.

Our 2 big oaks are pretty much 100% defoliated, and the big maple is about 50%. They’ve really made it all but impossible to be outside in on the yard in the past week. I’ve noticed a drastic decrease in caterpillars over the past couple of days, so the moth army should soon be upon us. Hopefully once they run their course, it’s done with. I’m in North Ballston Spa. 

They're the worst that I have seen them here in Dogpatch since the bad breakout in the 1970's...The Mermaid and I were up on the property yesterday and most of the oaks  are nearly bare already...No acorns again this year...

Was ground zero on my place last summer, never saw anything like it, every tree except a Black Walnut was stripped bare and was left with a desolate looking landscape, the woods behind my house seemed to be devoid of life. Everything was covered with caterpillars, in one word "HORRIBLE"

I have my fingers crossed, so far this year I have only seen a couple of caterpillars, most of the tree have some foliage growing back and are recovering somewhat, the crowns are still bare. My Apple trees sustained severe damage with some limbs dead and completely bare, the Apple trees that have regrew leaves and look halfway decent did not produce a single blossom this spring.

Hope I never see that kind of destruction again.

Al

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I was in Canadice this past Tuesday but was only in the woods for 30 minutes or so to grab camera cards and didn't see any signs of Gypsy Moth. Are you seeing anything in your locale?

Clear in our neck of the woods too!! Last yr was brutal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zag said:

Clear in our neck of the woods too!! Last yr was brutal.

I read somewhere that the DEC was going to spray some State Forest so just maybe we got some of the "over spray" from it on a light west wind??  :)

• Haha 1