Recurve!

dirt_a_KISS

I just picked up one last year. A bow's rated weight is based on a 28" draw length. Your draw length is set by you and affects the bows pull weight. I purchased a 50 lb bow knowing that with my 26 1/2" draw length, I'd be holding 47 lbs at my full draw.

I use a standard three finger hold. It's what I'm used to. I purchased mine from PSE's website. The price was right and I wasn't looking to spend a lot.

For tips on instinctive shooting, I went to you tube. There are plenty of videos on it. I need to practice a lot more than I have been before I'd consider hunting with it.

• Like 2

You’ll love shooting a traditional bow. If you are starting out you will want to start with a beginner bow or a used bow to make sure it is something you want to stick with. It takes a lot more practice and dedication than a compound. Check out 3riversarchery.com and tradtecharchery.com (which is a branch of Lancaster Archery. The Samick Sage is a good starter bow and 3 Rivers used to sell a starter kit which came with everything you needed to start shooting. You can also pick up a nicer bow pretty reasonable used. I got a brand new Hoyt Buffalo off ebay 2 years ago for a great price and it is a great hunting bow.

As said above, there is no draw length on a recurve like there is on a compound, the draw length is wherever you draw it too. They draw weight is rated at 28” so it will be about 2 lbs less for ever inch you draw less than 28” and about 2 lbs more for every inch you draw over 28”. Start with a low poundage bow so you can work on good form and a good anchor point. This is also why takedown recurves are nice because you can change the limbs to a higher poundage as you improve and get more comfortable.

A couple of good forums to check out are the leatherwall on stickbow.com and tradgang.com. 3 Rivers Archery also has some good instructional information on their site.

I would go to a bow shop that specializes in traditional archery. They will help set you up with everything... most will have a place to try out the bows to see what you're comfortable with. I shoot a 60# Martin with cedar shafted arrows... I wouldn't recommend wooden arrows in the beginning simply because of the cost of the arrows.. start with something more durable.. because you'll need to do a lot of practicing to get proficient with instinctive shooting and that means a lot of damaged arrows..lol

• Like 1

i've always shot compounds. I picked up a Bear Archery Super Kodiak and got into it. My normal compound draw is 29" and I went with a 60" AMO length bow so it doesn't "stack" as much. a recurve as people have stated builds poundage at a certain rate and more quickly the longer the draw, or its stacks. the standard weight is measured at 28". If you're somewhere close to that I would get a 45# or 50# bow to start off learning how to shoot. any heavier and you'll have a hard time with form and anchoring consistently. you can setup up a recurve just like a compound or you can shoot it instinctively. To shoot instinctively you'll want three fingers under the arrow or 1 above and 2 below. You'll want to pick up a finger tab or glove. on the string is usually just a knock, somewhere around level to 7/8" inch high depending on tune, and your preference of silencers. it's important to get a bow stringer to string your bow instead of trying to bend it over through your legs or some other way to prevent limb twisting and keep things straight. just about every mfg makes carbon arrows you can buy with a wood looking finish and feather fletching to get passed the riser shelf. a shop should help you tune the arrows to the bow so they shoot straight and not right or left. pick an arrow shaft with a .400" spine (for the above setup) and put tip on there to have a total arrow weight around 600 grains or more to give you enough penetration on game like whitetail. you can add or subtract twists from the string to change braceheight and at a certain braceheight the bow will shoot quietest and well. that shop will then cut a little off the full length arrow at a time until it shoots a bullet hole through paper (good right to left). each time they'll use reuseable hot melt glue for the insert so it can be put back in. when you get shooting enough and hunting ready pick a cut on contact broadhead like a NAP hellrazor or Magnus stinger of your same tip weight. that about sums it up i'd think to get started.

• Like 1

like d-bone said three rivers samick sage i bought the take down i shoot 28'' lenth bow lenth 62" at first i bought 60lbs limbs thank god for this web site they helped me alot i bought the 50 lbs limbs , i would segest although their more money go to a pro shop to get the accearies the beginners kit from three rivers are extremely low end[ you cant tell the qualityon line you get what you pay for] the nock pliers are junk the gloves dont fit , ect .. also the pro shop will spine your arrows for your bow [ishoot 400 beman helical so they spin ] i went to the pro shop where ilive in queens they were a little pissed i bought on line but helped me anyway i wanted to use the recurve for long island jump shooting w/ a compound you cant walk around tethered to a bow w/ a release much quicker shooting fingers close shooting very thick 20' to maybe 20 yds .with that said go on youtube and see how to shoot trad achery alot of videos on there and practice its alot of fun and relaxing but can be frustating too . i hope i help good luck

Ive been shooting a recurve for 5 years now. Great advice set forth above. I would say to start out get an average bow to know the poundage u should use while hunting. I started out with a pse impala takedown. Used it and shot it for a year and then bought a martin x200. Love it. I know there are better bows but i cant imagine shooting nything better.

I would say buy a cheapy in a 45 pound at 28 inch range and shoot shoot shoot shoot. Then when you get good and confident buy a nicer bow that you like for hunting. I didnt want to spend $ on a bow that was too heVy or too light so thats why i went cheap first.

I hunted with my recurve a few seasons back.

I thought I was ready for the extra challenge of going totaly instinctive. I had decided to keep any shots within 15yds, but preferred inside 10yds.

One thing I learned, is how many compound shot oppertunities @ 30yds eventually turned into oppertunities I felt comfortable with at point blank ranges.

While I did get an arrow into a doe that year, I was never able to recover her. As the traditionalists say "Aim small, miss small".

I didn't quite have that concept figured into my practice routine with my recurve. I was content to put my groups in an 8 inch circle and accept the fact I would have some "fliers" simply because I didn't have a sight.

As I watched that deer run off with my shaft sticking out of her paunch, my heart sank and I really began to question my own ethics about pursuing game in a manner I had such limited experience with.

In hindsight, I realize now how much dedication goes into trad archery, and how little I put into my endeavor. I plan on picking it up again some day when I have more time to dedicate to it in the off season.

That very same night, after returning home from that hunt, I made a trip to the pro-shop and purchased my current compound set up.

• Like 1

Great story Wolly. I too have entertained the thought of hunting with a more traditional set up a time or two, but I know it's one of those deals that is definitely harder than it looks. It requires full dedication and really tuning yourself into the bow and that style of hunting. You have my support 110% man, but for the sake of the animal, make sure you take your practice and execution seriously!

Good story Wolly... it does take a lot of practice to get proficient with traditional equipment.. one thing I have learned about practicing... if you shoot 10 arrows ... and you can put 9 of the 10 in a 2" group... but the first arrow you shoot is always the flyer.... the other nine don't count.. the truth is you could shoot one arrow a day each day for the whole summer... and until that one arrow is dead on and you can do it consistantly each day, everyday.. you are not proficient enough for hunting... because usually in a hunting situation you only get one good shot... and thats the first shot. LOL.. now I'm not saying that you should really go out and only shoot one arrow a day, but I am saying that first shot consistancy is what guys need to concentrate on... because that is really the only shot that counts.

• 2 weeks later...

You can find good quality bows on some of the traditional forums under classifieds. One good one is Trad Gang lots of bows and new ones every day. Some are pricey though.

Thing to think about is the time and effort that goes into traditional hunting. I shoot all year long to keep my muscle memory. You won't be able to pick up your bow 2 weeks before hand and be good at shooting it. These bows just aren't like the compounds lots of time and dedication.

That being said traditional archery is very addictive and very fun. That first deer is such an accomplishment. Then you get into arrow building and string making it can be a lifelong hobby.

These are my first arrows I made a few weeks ago and now I am making an arrow crestor. lol

endeavor Good luck on your endevor and feel free to ask as many questions we are all here to help.

post-373-0-09442900-1358532087_thumb.jpg

Definately agree nyantler. I purchased a recurve about three years ago but still do not have the confidence to take it out hunting. The first summer that I started practicing I would practice every day, however, the consistancy was never there. There are so many variables that could go wrong when hunting, I'm just not ready to add another. I have lots of respect for the guys that are able to go into the woods and get it done with their traditional equipment. Hope to be there one day!

Good story Wolly... it does take a lot of practice to get proficient with traditional equipment.. one thing I have learned about practicing... if you shoot 10 arrows ... and you can put 9 of the 10 in a 2" group... but the first arrow you shoot is always the flyer.... the other nine don't count.. the truth is you could shoot one arrow a day each day for the whole summer... and until that one arrow is dead on and you can do it consistantly each day, everyday.. you are not proficient enough for hunting... because usually in a hunting situation you only get one good shot... and thats the first shot. LOL.. now I'm not saying that you should really go out and only shoot one arrow a day, but I am saying that first shot consistancy is what guys need to concentrate on... because that is really the only shot that counts.

Edited by Pav2704