Off Season Topic.

Just scrolling this morning  and out of curiosity, I checked out the-- Newest Member area. Which,I usually  don't  do.

I see we have mikelice and he joined on FEB 26TH.

Well--- that can't  be good.  So nearly 4 Months has gone by and no New Members have joined. 

Out of 8,930 members- there are probably  less then 50- " regular posters" at any time.  And some of us don't  get along. 

I don't  know- the Site was Absolutely  Booming when,I joined in 2014. 

Just in the last year,I reflected-- What the Hell- Is This Site Dying?!

I think we have more " member Lurkers" who want to post - but follow along and see especially  in the " Off" Seasons after Deer and Turkey Seasons- a new Thread is posted up and the Author could be " Swooped Down upon by Bored Regulars into " Prey". No Saint here either and since,I am a Predator,I will Counterpunch just like Trump.

I am sure,I will hang around for a few more years. In my 8th year now.

Now in the Past,I have read that this site should just restrict itself to Hunting,Fishing, and a few other topics.

How Boring.

There is probably  too much Crammed into Chit- Chat at any one time.   The Owner likes it that way and probably  could care less.  

To the 50 of us who keep posting on a regular  basis- hopefully we can continue  on for more years to come.

Maybe more people are going out and doing things instead of being on a forum? Maybe all the crap with the covid threads made people sick of seeing the full throttle war on that topic and seeing people completely degrade one another and wish harm to others? Maybe all the political garbage that's way out of control is making people leave? For two deer seasons, more people were talking about covid and politics than hunting.

A lot of people are either ditching the web or going to other social media outlets.

If you go to a forum dedicated to a specific topic, and that topic isn't for you, then maybe one should not join that forum? I wouldn't go to a dedicated car forum to talk about ice skating.

Forums will soon be yesterday's news. They are becoming outdated.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Maybe more people are going out and doing things instead of being on a forum? Maybe all the crap with the covid threads made people sick of seeing the full throttle war on that topic and seeing people completely degrade one another and wish harm to others? Maybe all the political garbage that's way out of control is making people leave? For two deer seasons, more people were talking about covid and politics than hunting.

A lot of people are either ditching the web or going to other social media outlets.

If you go to a forum dedicated to a specific topic, and that topic isn't for you, then maybe one should not join that forum? I wouldn't go to a dedicated car forum to talk about ice skating.

Forums will soon be yesterday's news. They are becoming outdated.

There is Wisdom in your reply Rob. Eventually, I will move on too down the road.

I can't think of one recent example of a new member posting something and being swooped in and attacked.

People don't join because a quick google search will lead you to a front page that hasn't been updated in almost 3 years now and then a quick browse of topics they would see is heavily dominated by 1 formerly banned members political topics. If I saw what I saw today when I first googled new york hunting forums however many years ago I would have never signed up.

• Thanks 1

The site activity is primarily driven by deer hunters, so we should see some uptick soon, as we get a little closer to the early September gun season, which the NY state has already approved again for this year, having been so successful last year.  

As soon as I can find a little free time in my schedule, I plan on starting a little range work in preparation for that.  I am going to swing by Runnings today for a couple more boxes of 12 Ga. 2-3/4 SST’s.  They were well stocked with those last time I was there.  

I need a few extra boxes to get my M512 bolt action dialed in out to 200 yards.  I will be targeting mature does this year  since we still have plenty of bb left in the freezer from last year and January 1 of this year (we save that extra tender and delicious meat for special occasions).  Should have enough left vacuum sealed for stuffing turkeys the next few Thanksgivings. 

Keep your Powder dry Bill.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I don't think it's actually so much the outdated info here, nor is it that it's not deer season. There's always plenty of hunting to talk about, even during the off seasons. Even the fishing threads are down, posters who used to be here often posting up pictures of some great fish landed have stopped. Many good members who had a lot of insight and information to offer have stopped posting much, and that's more than likely a direct result of the constant infighting and political bullshit here. You'd have to be sort of blind to not see or realize that. Add to the mix some people feel a need to make every thread all about them, and you get what you get, and have what you have. The wild, wild west.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, airedale said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to read anything!!

Al

True.  But its flooding the site and it is clear he is a paid leftist agitator.  But Id bet money that if he was booted for good the issues Bill brought up would fix itself.  

The world certainly isn't the same as it was in 2014 that's for sure. People have to work more to make ends meet, people are protecting themselves from random strangers online. Protecting personal assets/properties from some of these "Lurkers" cause we all know there's a few that just lurk on here or (these type of pages in general) and then put boots on the ground where they don't belong etc.. type stuff. America isn't the same way it used to be. ITs sad. I've changed the ways i do things on social media but felt this page was more of a secure one i can post about and not have to worry about a random neighbor or scumbag just "creeping, following members and their hunting areas". And I say this because i have been victim to this recently.. A lot has changed, and some good members who felt the odds were against them have left, crazy or not, a wealth of information used to be shared here, amongst many topics across the board.. and whether its keyboard warriors or what have you, folks dont feel like sharing anymore. I've noticed a big change here as well... But as many say.. Life changes and usually life goes on..   I used to give alot of Land Management advice on here, especially cheap simple effective ways to accomplish things for those budget minded folk like myself. Not many interact here like they used to.. 

I only get on here when im on lunch at work or taking a break.. My life is too busy at home to do much anything here.. 

Idk.. a lot has changed in 8 years, I think thats when i joined also.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to read anything!!

Al

it's an interesting argument to make in context to the site's dying numbers. So sure, you're right that nobody has to read it and as a result, no new members are joining and old members are leaving or have left. 

Is that really what you want?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's an interesting argument to make in context to the site's dying numbers. So sure, you're right that nobody has to read it and as a result, no new members are joining and old members are leaving or have left. 

Is that really what you want?

I honestly think that's exactly what some members here want. Otherwise, they would have taken the hints, and more direct "this is a hunting forum" memo's.

Damn, no Hornady sst 12 ga slugs at Runnings today.  Oh well, wasn’t totally a wasted trip to Lockport today.   I got the cheapest gas and diesel fuel in the county, plus a good deal on tractor spark plugs and (3) kinds of Genny beer (light, cream ale, and Ruby red).  

• Like 2

Yeah, Blame the political section for the lack of interest in the site, not the fact that NY sucks and no one but the idiots that are too hard headed to leave for better and freer pastures are the only one's here to hunt, and our numbers are dwindling down.

After reading over the hunting threads on this site for five minutes,  Why would any sane person travel here to hunt ?

It's downright depressing.

Banning people, show's any visitor that NY is full of a bunch of cry baby hunters that can't handle a little diversity.

It's very simple, If I don't like a topic, I don't click on it.

Someone could make a million selling camo baby diapers and snot rags on this site !

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Yeah, Blame the political section for the lack of interest in the site, not the fact that NY sucks and no one but the idiots that are too hard headed to leave for better and freer pastures are the only one's here to hunt, and our numbers are dwindling down.

After reading over the hunting threads on this site for five minutes,  Why would any sane person travel here to hunt ?

Banning people, show's any visitor that NY is full of a bunch of cry baby hunters that can't handle a little diversity.

Someone could make a million selling camo baby diapers and snot rags on this site !

Yet here you are and hunt NY, so you must have been looking in a mirror at some point with the idiot comments. Like you say about the state, if you don't like this forum or other people's POV you don't have to be here either. So far, you're the only one throwing a temper tantrum in this thread. <~LIGHTBULB~>

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I honestly think that's exactly what some members here want. Otherwise, they would have taken the hints, and more direct "this is a hunting forum" memo's.

you'd think that they'd want more of an audience. The right balance so that their nonsense reached more eyes and instead they have an echo chamber that is ever shrinking. Might as well just ramble on a street corner somewhere. 

14 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

License sales are actually doing pretty well. couple hundred thousand hunters still and only 50 are active on the only ny hunting forum?

The advantage/disadvantage of the political sub has been debated to death. It won't change unless a new owner takes over. 

This is a very valuable forum for a lot of people and provides both useful information and a social connection. Does it need it grow? Sure, but that won't happen without a major refresh. 

I do find there are too many subforums and things could be combined, but again, with an absent owner, it's unlikely.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2022 at 9:08 PM, DirtTime said:

Yet here you are and hunt NY, so you must have been looking in a mirror at some point with the idiot comments. Like you say about the state, if you don't like this forum or other people's POV you don't have to be here either. So far, you're the only one throwing a temper tantrum in this thread. <~LIGHTBULB~>

Obviously you didn't have your spectacles on, because I said "our" numbers of hard headed individuals are dwindling, me included.

I like this forum, I don't like the call for banning anyone, even the babies like you, who try to belittle with your childish rants.

License sale numbers are up compared to other years in NY, but that had to do with covid.

Now that the state is getting back to normal and most hunters have fled for greener pastures, it's going to go back to business as usual, meaning the state will take all of that money generated by license sales and give it to anti hunter groups and other departments in the state that have nothing to do with hunting or the outdoors.

Like it or not, politics are entangled in every aspect of life, including hunting and to ignore that is downright ignorant.

And another for the ignore list. If all one does is belittle others while they are belittling the same people, I've grown out of arguing with those people. I have no time for pot and kettle argument because I have made the change to stainless.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Obviously you didn't have your spectacles on, because I said "our" numbers of hard headed individuals are dwindling, me included.

I like this forum, I don't like the call for banning anyone, even the babies like you, who try to belittle with your childish rants.

License sale numbers are up compared to other years in NY, but that had to do with covid.

Now that the state is getting back to normal and most hunters have fled for greener pastures, it's going to go back to business as usual, meaning the state will take all of that money generated by license sales and give it to anti hunter groups and other departments in the state that have nothing to do with hunting or the outdoors.

Like it or not, politics are entangled in every aspect of life, including hunting and to ignore that is downright ignorant.

you're misaligned on multiple points here.

1. nobody is asking that multiple members be banned. We're asking for a rule to curtail the political spamming. If I had the keys to the kingdom I'd have a single political topic, where anything goes. Not very different from what's for dinner, live from the woods or the beer threads. Just a long on going single topic for those interested instead of 6 separate posts a day.

2. Yes covid helped this spike, but there are other factors influencing this, like the movement to get outside and to source your own food.

3. Most hunters have fled for greener pastures? So you're saying out of ~200k hunters, over 100k left the state last year? Yippie, shouldn't have any problem finding new hunting grounds!

4. What many believe the original intent of the political sub was to discuss hunting and gun laws, not abortion or inflation. I can't think of many times in my stand that I was thinking about Joe or the donald. It's where many of us go to get away from that. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Speaking from the standpoint of about as pure of a “meat hunter” as a guy could possibly be, I think the deer hunting regulation changes that NY state made last year were the best that I have seen in my 57.5 years here.  I think anyone who leaves now for “greener pastures”, when it comes to hunting, is nuts .  

There were years in the past , when I struggled a bit to provide enough “free meat”, for my family.  It was almost like shooting ducks in a barrel last season, thanks entirely to these new changes that the state made last year: early September antlerless gun season, restored Adirondack early antlerless ML season, extra half hours hunt time before/after sun up/down, and Holiday ML season. 

It’s got to be tougher now for Alaskans, to live entirely off the fat of the land, than it is for us upstate NY’ers.  

• Like 1