My First Attempt at Pulled Venison

Deerthug

This morning I decided to make pulled venison. After thawing out a 3lb rump roast overnight, I removed the silvery skin, washed it up and patted it dry. I put together a rub consisting of paprika, salt, pepper and some Thyme in a bowl. Mixed it up and started rubbing it on the venison. I cut up some onions and layered the bottom of my crock pot. Added the venison, added some water just below the top of the venison, covered it and set it on high. Eight ours later, i come home and the house smells wonderful. I shred the venison as its steaming hot. I dump most of the liquid and then return the venison to the pot. I add just a few dabs of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and mixed it up and let it simmer for 1/2 hour on low. Served it up on kaiser roles. Few glasses of homemade wine later. It was scrumpdelicious!

post-1257-13573453674894_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Deerthug

Sounds delicious. I've made it a couple of times. I usually season with salt, pepper, and an onion. I then pour a can of root beer into the crockpot. After 8 hours I pull it apart and add baby rays as well. Most people can't even tell that it's venison!

Mmmm,Nothing like crock pot venison.Talking to my brotherinlaw the other day he hunted most of rifle season and got nada ,his friends got three and to date have not offered him any meat,he is dying to have some of his crock pot venison.

Talking to my brotherinlaw the other day he hunted most of rifle season and got nada ,his friends got three and to date have not offered him any meat,he is dying to have some of his crock pot venison.

That was me last year. I got nothing despite going up many times. Needless to say I went through venison withdrawal. This past season I made up for it.

I've not tried to smoke a roast but i've had good luck with a back strap. I take the back strap clean it up cut it into 6" pcs. then I cut a slot lengthwise in the pc. Marinate for 3/4 hour in an equal mix of Montreal steak seasoning,vinager veg.oil, and water. Then i stuff it with hot Italian sausage. Place it in my smoker until it reaches 160* internal temp. The pork inside keeps the venison moist and the ext. gets a nice bark. I like the heat from the sausage i suppose you could use mild if neccessary

I made the pulled venison yesterday. I used some backstrap (YIKES) from last year. Thawed it overnight and trimmed it up. Placed 4 pieces (2/3 of the backstrap from one deer), rubbed with a mix I had on hand and a HUGE onion into the crock pot. Then put enough water in to come half way up the meat. Cranked it up to high and started drinking heavily. (I'M ONLY KIDDING!)

8.5 hours later I pulled it out, dumped the juice, and shredded the meat. Put it back into the crock pot with some bbq sauce for another 30 minutes.

I use the KC Masterpiece brand and think it is great.

Got some good rolls from Wegmans and enjoyed the hell out of it. Really a great recipe.

It was great last night and AMAZING today for lunch!!

Thanks Deerthug!!

PS......The entire family enjoyed it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this thread, I had to give it a shot. The only thing I did different from the recipe mentioned was that I browned the roast on all sides in a little bit of oil before I put it in crock pot. For seasoning I used salt pepper and garlic powder. simple. I also used sweet baby rays sauce. came out excellent. definitely a keeper of a recipe.

Also, just wanted to add that for a readily availible "store-bought" bbq sauce, Sweet baby rays is pretty darned good. I make my own often, but its time consuming and ingredient heavy. the sweet baby rays is a nice compromise.

• Like 2

i have a buddy who takes the front shoulders whole and cooks them in a large electric roaster. uses some wine,onions, peppers garlic, etc. and cooks them at 200 for 12+ hours. the meat just falls off the bones. great pulled venison. Just put on a good hard roll and add your favorite bbq sauce. sure beats all the time it takes to bone out the shoulder.