JOIN THE NRA NOW!!!

Good response GM, and I guess that is why I continue to join also. It is when I review the finances and see what they are doing with my money that pi**es me off. And the fact that they focus more on lobbying for the gun manufacturers when they are funded by members doesn't sit well with me either. If they want to by an industry lobbying group they should be funded by the industry. And they need to stay out of land management issues. If they would just focus on protecting our 2nd amendment rights I would quit complaining.

Oh well... it's been fun stirring things up, I need to get back to the football game.

One thing that should be understood is that protecting gun manufacturers is protecting our 2nd amendment rights. Needless to say the gun manufacturers are a prime target of the antis and also are in a constant struggle with the gun-banning contingent of our legal system. One of the strategies of the antis is to bombard the manufacturers with lawsuits, regulations, and other activities that cause the manufacturers to defend themselves and pass on the costs of those defenses to us .... the gun owners.

• Like 1

I believe the push to ban semi-auto rifles & eventually all handguns, by both the government & the media, will come on strong in the next few months.

I've been an NRA member for a number of years, and will continue to be as long as they are the premier lobby orginization to help us keep our guns & 2nd amendment rights. I don't buy everything they are selling, I don't put their bumper sticker on my truck, and frankly, Ted Nugent is an embarrasment as a representative for gun owners & hunters. But, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in my corner when it comes to fighting the anti-gun loons than the NRA.

I just wish I would have waited for the Bass Pro gift card offer before I rejoined, LOL.

For most the big reason for not joining the NRA is because they're constantly asking for money.. or they call the house too much... or you didn't get the magazine they promised for your membership... the only real reason for not joining is because they aren't doing their job. Which they do and do well... better than any other organization. Standing together as NRA members is are best option against this onslaught

• Like 1

For most the big reason for not joining the NRA is because they're constantly asking for money.. or they call the house too much... or you didn't get the magazine they promised for your membership... the only real reason for not joining is because they aren't doing their job. Which they do and do well... better than any other organization. Standing together as NRA members is are best option against this onslaught

When you put it like that,instead of bashing non members with "you don't deserve to own a gun", it makes much more sense and puts me a little closer to jumping on the wagon.I'll have to give it a better look. I just don't want all the bleeding heart letters again along with the other useless mailings and such.

I believe the push to ban semi-auto rifles & eventually all handguns, by both the government & the media, will come on strong in the next few months.

I've been an NRA member for a number of years, and will continue to be as long as they are the premier lobby orginization to help us keep our guns & 2nd amendment rights. I don't buy everything they are selling, I don't put their bumper sticker on my truck, and frankly, Ted Nugent is an embarrasment as a representative for gun owners & hunters. But, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in my corner when it comes to fighting the anti-gun loons than the NRA.

I just wish I would have waited for the Bass Pro gift card offer before I rejoined, LOL.

I agree. I've said it so many times, I am beginning to sound like a broken record. You don't have to agree with every statement and issue of a advocacy group in order to have huge value in your membership. Look at the over-all package. You will never find a single organization that provides all views that you can buy into 100%. But if you start avoiding all organizations that don't fit all your views exactly, you basicly will find yourself without any representation or influence at a governmental level, while the opposition makes huge strides by being well financed, and well organized and no where near as fragmented as hunters and gun owners seem to be.

• Like 1

Sometimes people just need to put things in perspective... there will probably never be a club that you belong to where you don't have some issue with how they do business.. but we're talking about standing together here for the freedoms of all gun owners and our 2nd amendment right... all the other stuff that you have issue with is is trivial compared to losing your rights as a gun owner... the NRA stands tall when it comes to your 2nd amendment right regardless of whether you are a member or not.. if they are willing to carry those that sit back and do nothing... the least we can do is support their efforts by funding the cause... it's 25 bucks a year well spent in my view... I drop that much cash on things that aren't nearly as important as my freedom to protect myself... just something to think about... as a life member I always know that at least I am trying to be part of the solution not contributing to the problem.

There's nothing worse than the NAGR emails. Alot of the emails I get are like posts from Growalot.

I got one today Titled: FW: I'm concerned...

It read: "Hey John, did you miss this critical email from Dudley this past week? He's got an urgent message regarding Obama's gun control plans for 2013 and your NAGR membership. Please read it right away."

I find it annoying and a form of baiting. It was from "Christine" which happens to be the name of someone I have business dealings with, and was waiting to hear from. The NRA ones aren't that bad IMO.

I've been an NRA member for a number of years, and will continue to be as long as they are the premier lobby orginization to help us keep our guns & 2nd amendment rights. I don't buy everything they are selling, I don't put their bumper sticker on my truck, and frankly, Ted Nugent is an embarrasment as a representative for gun owners & hunters. But, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in my corner when it comes to fighting the anti-gun loons than the NRA

Agreed 100%. I don't go along with all they say all the time but I do think they are the best we have for now.

I was a member for many years and got so sick of all the calls and mailings I stopped my membership. I would join and give them the fee in a heartbeat because I feel they are one of the best to fight for our 2nd rights to continue if they would leave me alone afterword!! And the fee is less than a dinner or a round of drinks so it is not that, it is what they do with it. I got at least one letter a week at postal costs times 52 weeks they used my whole fee to send me letters??? rrr if they offered a do not bother me membership I will join tomorrow!!

You sure did, Jump thru my hoops and I may give you a treat as I sit back and watch things just get more and more carried away without so much as joining the group that might be able to help in the slightest. Don't worry living in the Bronx I'm sure it won't be long before they come knocking asking you to surrender your weapons

• Like 2

People will come up with all sorts of BS reasons of why they won't spend $30 to fight for gun rights . If you don't want to join don't . Just don't post the BS replies . You can call the number and tell them not to call you and they won't . If I get mail from them , it just goes in the recycle bin . What's the big deal ?

I

If they come for my hunting implements, they can have them. I don't have the financial means to fight NYC. Just like respect, it's earned. IMO, the tactics that some on this thread and that of the NRA use to pressure isn't too far from that of the anti-gunners.

If they come for my hunting implements, they can have them. I don't have the financial means to fight NYC. Just like respect, it's earned. IMO, the tactics that some on this thread and that of the NRA use to pressure isn't too far from that of the anti-gunners.

And you certainly are entitled to that opinion ....... even though it is wrong .... lol.

Look,it is hard to take gun control complaints seriously when the one complaining doesn't even take the minimal step of supporting those that are agreeing with him. It's an unfortunate truth that eventually the gun owners will get exactly what they deserve simply because of their inability to be organized while their opposition always maintains a unified, organized and well financed effort. We have found many ways to justify cutting off our noses to spite our face. We've become damned good at it. And as a result, many of the restrictions that we complain about were placed on our backs by a far more dedicated group of people who not only say they believe in their cause, but who actually do.

Then Join the NRA and express your concerns about this matter as a member and a NYer

The just want your money, not your opinion. From the Houston Chronicle.

"On some issues, there is little dissent: 87 percent of NRA members say they believe enforcing Second Amendment rights coincides with keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals.

The majority of NRA rank-and-file members (71 percent) say they support the barring of people on terror watch lists from purchasing firearms, and a slightly smaller majority (65 percent) believe gun owners should be required by law to alert the police in the event their gun is lost or stolen.

However, the NRA’s Washington office opposes both of these efforts."

The just want your money, not your opinion. From the Houston Chronicle.

"On some issues, there is little dissent: 87 percent of NRA members say they believe enforcing Second Amendment rights coincides with keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals.

That's because they don't understand how easy it is for the government to make a criminal out of you. Look at what is happening right now. Own a semi? You're a criminal. Just proves the majority of NRA members send money but don't take the time to get involved in the politics of the fight! Having and keeping a right isn't dependent on your keeping criminals from abusing that right. That's what LEO's get paid to do. And it should only be done to those WHO ACTUALLY COMMIT A FELONY, NOT THOSE WHO HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO DO SO, LIKE ANY AND ALL GUN OWNERS!

The majority of NRA rank-and-file members (71 percent) say they support the barring of people on terror watch lists from purchasing firearms.

Do they know anyone can be put on the terror watch list and the law gives them no legal avenue to challenge it? What if they put you on the list? Will you give up your guns? If the law was passed, you would have to.

, and a slightly smaller majority (65 percent) believe gun owners should be required by law to alert the police in the event their gun is lost or stolen.

They wanted a time limit of 48 hours to do this or be declared a criminal. What if you're away for two weeks?

However, the NRA’s Washington office opposes both of these efforts."

And because they are experts on these proposed laws, as well as doing their jobs, thank God they do!

Nothing aggravates me more than gun owners who don't know enough to look into details prior to forming opinions that come back to bite them in the azz.

Edited by Mr VJP

Exactly Mr VJP. People need to get involved and that means more than just mailing a check. The NRA should be doing far more with the money they get than they are too. Time for LaPierre to step aside and make room for some new blood. From Forbes:

If you’re a transparency fan like me, you appreciate knowing what kind of skin public people have in the game during episodes like this. So what did the NRA pay Lapierre to say that the best way to stop school shootings is to have the government put every mentally ill person in the nation on a watch list and arm school personnel to defend schools like banks?

Just under a million bucks.

That’s according to the most recent NRA filings with the IRS.

The numbers are a bit out of date. The last filing of a Form 990 from the NRA was in 2010. Still, if you’re interested in the numbers behind America’s most powerful gun lobby, it makes for interesting reading.

The organization’s mission is simply stated, right at the top: “To protect and defend the U.S. Constitution.” To accomplish this, in 2010 the NRA reported that it had 781 full time employees, 125,000 volunteers and generated revenues of $227.8 million.

Where does all that come from? In 2010, $71 million came from contributions and grants, $100 million from membership fees and $46 million from other revenue sources, like ad sales ($20 million) royalties, rents and subscriptions.

In 2010 that wasn’t enough to cover expenses. In total, they spent $243.5 million, leaving a $15 million shortfall, at least that year, which was cushioned by assets of $37.5 million.

Where did all the money go? About $33 million went to salaries and wages (not including the top brass), $28 million went to advertising and promotions. By far the biggest items were membership outreach: $57 million for membership communications, $24 million for printing and shipping, $16 million for educational programs. Just about $10 million went to the NRA’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action.

More than $12.7 million went to Akron-Ohio based InfoCision, a huge telemarketing company that lists a broad spectrum of blue chip non-profits as clients– including Smile Train, the American Diabetes Association, Easter Seals and Unicef—as well as the College Republican National Committee and companies like Time Warner and AT&T.

As for salaries, fifty-six people in the organization earned more than $100,000 in 2010—and 10 made more than $250,000. Lapierre does not top the list. Kayne B. Robinson, the executive director of general operations does. He was paid just over $1 million. Lapierre was second, pulling in $970,000 in reportable and estimated comp.

Chris W. Cox, the executive director of the group’s lobbying efforts, was third. He earned just over $666,000.

The whole thing is here.