How Do You Make Your Living ?

Pygmy

I am sure there is a thread about this subject in the archives, but there have been a lot of members who have come ( and gone) since we did one...

What do you do for a living ? I am retired, but back when I worked for a living I was an engineering technician for a local technologies company, which was formerly a glass manufacturing company.

I worked as a lab tech for years running tests invloving hot glass and ceramics, but when I retired, I was working in the company's Research Facility . I operated machine tools such as lathes, mills, grinders, etc that were set up with diamond tooling to machine glass and ceramics, rather than metal.

I work for a local ready-mix concrete company as a driver.May will be 20 years employed by said company.

Growing up,I pumped gas,joined the service,worked in garment factories as a presser,became a class A machinist,tried to sell Kirby vaccum cleaners door to door(man that sucked),tried starting numerous businesses like selling childrens clothing in bulk,and a few other stupid internet BS,was a runner for a rental car agency picking up cars from one part of the state to the other,worked for the local Mack Truck dealership in the parts dept. running for parts and rebuilt motors,and worked for a local tire and auto store doing OTR tire service on call 24/7 with my own company owned service truck for $8.51/hr. When I gave them 2 weeks notice,they pulled me aside and offered $10/hr but keep it quiet.....yeah I kinda flipped out,asking why am I not making that now,before I gave my 2 week notice.

EDIT: Forgot armed security/lethal weapons agent

Edited by Single_shot

If you count it as my first job i've alredy been working my hole life lol, since I can remember I have been helping my dad gut and rebuilt houses. He is into real-estate and always buying older house to fix up. I had a paper route when I was super young.

Then went threw varius jobs. Working now throwing pallets and some schooling but the way things are looking its not good. Cost a lot to even stay in school. And now im pretty sure its harder to get loans to get in.

I guess i'll just work, hunt and fish for the rest of my time lol.

Funny,I worked in a Lab.Every type of testing you can think of on every type of material used in the aircraft industry and support products. Also ran all of the above machines and more also CNC when the company updated.I did my own programing also.

i worked all types of dead end jobs looking foi the "ONE" finally I was hired as maintanence/building and grounds at a local public school districtgot a good salary position with tons of benefits including tenure 401k and NYS pension.

i spent 7 years installing all tyoes of fences then a couple years carpet cleaning that wasnt bad at all made really good money and never worked 40 hours. now im installing flag poles and street pole banners. i started there in april and i love it i have so much freedom i work monday threw friday my start time is 8am but i can start as early as i want to so in the summer i would go in at 6am and be able to get out early and still take the family to the beach or something. i hand dig everything so thats like a free gym membership lol. plus i work by myself so if i wake up at 6am and decide im still tired i can go back to sleep and get up later.

I have a small business that I have owned for 28 years, res/com cleaning. Not janitorial, mostly carpet & upholstery cleaning these days but have done plenty of fire/water damage/sewer back up/trauma cleaning etc. Not much I haven't seen over the years, some good but mostly bad!

Cleaned out houses and estates for years before it was the hot thing that it is today. I wish I would of saved half the crap I tossed years ago for EBay. You wouldn't believe what went to the landfill.........

Before 1985 I was a mechanic at a couple local garages for about 7 years.

Dream job? Work at the elephant house at the zoo doing circumcisions. I hear the pay ain't so good but the tips are huge.

• Like 2

I have a small business that I have owned for 28 years, res/com cleaning. Not janitorial, mostly carpet & upholstery cleaning these days but have done plenty of fire/water damage/sewer back up/trauma cleaning etc. Not much I haven't seen over the years, some good but mostly bad!

Cleaned out houses and estates for years before it was the hot thing that it is today. I wish I would of saved half the crap I tossed years ago for EBay. You wouldn't believe what went to the landfill.........

Before 1985 I was a mechanic at a couple local garages for about 7 years.

Dream job? Work at the elephant house at the zoo doing circumcisions. I hear the pay ain't so good but the tips are huge.

I used to work in a circumcism factory.....

Pretty good job, really....500 skins a week, good tips, and a chance to get a head.

After that, I worked as a gynecologist, but I had to give that up because I was developing tunnel vision.

• Like 2