Private sale of long-guns

Doc

My Brother-in-law just sold his house and has moved into a small apartment. He wants to get rid of his guns along with most of his other belongings. He has several rifles and shotguns and a couple of muzzleloaders to get rid of.

So the question is can long-guns be sold at a yard sale or is this now prohibited by NYS gun laws? There are no handguns or AR style guns involved.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

My Brother-in-law just sold his house and has moved into a small apartment. He wants to get rid of his guns along with most of his other belongings. He has several rifles and shotguns and a couple of muzzleloaders to get rid of.

So the question is can long-guns be sold at a yard sale or is this now prohibited by NYS gun laws? There are no handguns or AR style guns involved.

If your BIL lives fairly close to a FFL and he’s mobile, possibly you could help him get rid of then via this site?

If he decides to go the really easy route and just go to a gun store and let them buy them, he’ll be lucky to get a third of their value.   

• Like 1

No modern firearms can be transferred without an FFL doing it.  He can make the connections with people at the yard sale, but will have to arrange for them to meet at an FFL's place of business to complete the sale.  He will also have to decide who will pay the FFL fee.

Edited by Grouse

34 minutes ago, mowin said:

Not sure, but I think a Ffl transfer is needed on ML if the components to load are with it. 

I think that only applies to ML pistols. I’m not 100% on that, but I don’t think ML long guns have to go through an FFL. 

• Like 1

Im not sure how it is in NY , but I would think it would be the same or more restrictive there than it is here in NH for muzzle loaders . Most muzzle loaders do not need to go through an FFL . But if your muzzle loader has the option of switching barrels to a center fire cartridge , then  the transfer has to go through an FFL.

For example , my Thompson Center Encore Magnum .Mine is a 50 cal that uses 209 primers . But I can buy  center fire rifle  or shotgun rifled barrels for it for it and change it . My gun has to go through an FFL .  But if a muzzle loader is only that and does not have options for interchangeable barrels , then it does not need to go through an FFL .

• Like 1

No black powder guns need to go through an FFL, a pistol only needs to be added to a permit once the components to make it fire are actually in place to make the pistol go bang. If I read the laws right. ML rifles and components do not have to be transferred via FFL, you can buy a complete kit with the rifle, powder, primers, and bullets from a shop and the only paperwork is the sales reciept.

All non-muzzle loaders need to go through an FFL. I remember reading somewhere the dealer isn't supposed to charge more than $10 for the transfer, but some places charge $25-50.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

I inquired with our pistol permit office when i was there a year or two ago. Legal long arms only need to have the security check done (I forget what it is called) at time of purchase, same as is done when buying any firearm at a gun shop. Usually this has to be done at a FFL, paying their fee, usually 25.00 The firearm does NOT have to go on the dealers paperwork. If the transfer was to a friend /family, and the firearm has never been previously registered, who would know? Just hand it off.  What I would do though, is find a reputable firearms auction house ( I have used Hessney's Auction in Geneva NY extensively) who will advertise the gun, handle all paperwork and get you a premium price. My firearms (total of about 2 dozen over several auctions) gained much more thus, even with thier commision, than I would ever have gotten on a casual sale. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

No black powder guns need to go through an FFL, a pistol only needs to be added to a permit once the components to make it fire are actually in place to make the pistol go bang. If I read the laws right. ML rifles and components do not have to be transferred via FFL, you can buy a complete kit with the rifle, powder, primers, and pellets from a shop and the only paperwork is the sales reciept.

All non-muzzle loaders need to go through an FFL. I remember reading somewhere the dealer isn't supposed to charge more than $10 for the transfer, but some places charge $25-50.

My cva apex did because it has the ability to swap a rifle barrel on it. My other cva did not need ffl

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Not sure, but I think a Ffl transfer is needed on ML if the components to load are with it. 

Not needed for a muzzleloader.  Unless it can be fitted for a barrel like an encore etc....

Well, thanks a lot for all the replies. I never realized just how far behind I am on the current gun transfer laws. I knew I could count on you guys for the straight scoop. I knew pistols were all snarled up in harassment laws, but I didn't realize that they had already spread their crap to long-guns too.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Guns purchased before the checks were in place have no trail to worry about but the government would be pleased if you provide them with it so they can find it later......

Bingo. And I’m sure they have some age on them. Try to move them along to some sportsman that’s known to the seller and call it a day. The less the Govt knows about weapons owned by a Ny’er….So much the better. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Well, thanks a lot for all the replies. I never realized just how far behind I am on the current gun transfer laws. I knew I could count on you guys for the straight scoop. I knew pistols were all snarled up in harassment laws, but I didn't realize that they had already spread their crap to long-guns too.

2013, not exactly new…..

20 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

2013, not exactly new…..

I have not been involved in a private gun sale in quite a few decades, ( approximately the 1970's or 1980's) so a lot has happened since then. Also, before go merrily on my way in ignorance, I should probably also ask about pellet guns. Any new regs on those too?

As it pertains to semi-auto firearms under the newly enacted legislation (INCLUDING SHOTGUNS as I am advised by our pistol licensing officer) you will need to license them before taking possession. All your current owned semi-auto firearms will have to be licensed as well. The local office has no idea how they will ever be able to license all the current semi-auto firearms owners in the county.

19 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

As it pertains to semi-auto firearms under the newly enacted legislation (INCLUDING SHOTGUNS as I am advised by our pistol licensing officer) you will need to license them before taking possession. All your current owned semi-auto firearms will have to be licensed as well. The local office has no idea how they will ever be able to license all the current semi-auto firearms owners in the county.

Your instructor would be wrong.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/S9458

• Like 1