First Deer Kill with a ML

fasteddie

I bought a NEF 50 cal inline ML about 5 years ago at the Avon Gun Shop . I had the owner of the AppleTown Gun Shop in Williamson install a scope rail on it then I mounted a 1.5 X 4.5 scope on the gun .

I was in a treestand in Geneseo and saw a 6 point heading my way . I was expecting him to enter the lane-way but he entered the corn instead . Darn ! Later , I got out of the stand and walked to the North end of the field as a breeze was coming from the South East . As I walked across the North end I looked down each row . Around the middle of the field I saw a doe about 85 yards walking from east to west . I walked back about 3 rows , pulled the hammer back and aimed down the corn row . When the doe hit that row , I got her in the scope and squeezed the trigger . Bam ! And a big cloud of smoke along with a kick . I looked and saw nothing . No sound of anything running through the corn . I figured I must have missed and walked down the row to check for blood . Holy crap ! She was laying right where I had shot her . What an adrenaline rush . I was very impressed with those Hornaday 240 gr STP's .

My first deer was November 13th 1979.  I was in a wooden treestand at my families hunting camp.  The stand was between a cedar swamp and a field of millet in some hardwoods.  At 4PM a crotch horn buck started meandering out of the swamp  toward the stand.  I was shooting 80 grains of goex black powder and a patched 490 round ball.  The gun was a T/C Hawken 50 caliber sidelock.  It was in the 30's and a bit if an east wind.  The deer walked in front of me at 45 or so yards.  I eased the hammer back and worked the gun up while waiting.  There was an opening in the edge of the hardwoods and as he stepped out into the opening I took aim and pulled the trigger.  A loud boom and puff of smoke filled the air.  As the smoke cleared, I could not see the deer at all.  As I shook, I climbed down and reloaded the ol smokepole.  By th etime I was ready to look for the deer, my uncle was there as he had heard the shot.  We went to where I thought the deer was and no sign of anything.  My uncle was a very ptient man and waited while I gathered my bearings and went to the actual site where the deer was.  He took about three jumps and was lying there.  We took care of the deer and got it to camp. I was o pumped and could not wait for my dad to come and see it.  See my dad bought me the gun and told me I was going to learn to hunt with a single shot , and know hoe to do it.  When my dad got to camp, he had the biggest grin on his face and sure seemed proud.  I would like to now tell you about the first deer I ever shot, but it is the same story.  My first deer ever was with a muzzleloader and I have been hooked since.

Mine was late season, me and the old man went down on a week day due to my schedule at the time. It was one of the last few days and boy was it cold. The wind chill had it around -21 and we had to bundle up like eskimos to hunt. We had set out to hunt a different spot but that required a creek crossing with waders and it was so cold I couldn't stand it so we went to plan B. Lucky me, we went in still hunting along this low lying ridge and with in a hundred yards or so we spoted some deer. I dropped off the edge and stalked up and peeked over the ridge to find the herd about 40 yards away. I quickly aimed and fired my sidelock and about 100 yards later recovered a nice doe. After the shot all hell broke loose as the pile of deer ran for cover, that was a sight.

Man was it cold that day!