Who wants Yearling Buck Protection with ARs in their area?

Meat Hunter

Please let me know who wants Yearling Buck Protection with antler restrictions in their area and let me know what county and WMUs (Wildlife Management Units) you hunt in.

Feel free to Private Message me this information.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ARGUE THE ISSUE FOR THE TENTH TIME. There are lots of threads for that already! :good:

Please only respond if you want this hunting improvement in your area!

AR personally doesn't impact me at all. But I am sure that it is a very divisive issue with very little positive potential. Frankly I am all for those that chose to limit their harvests in that way, but I am not interested in forcing that choice on all hunters.

I do like the way you ask who wants AR and then in the last sentence indicate you only want the answers to go one way ..... lol.

Please let me know who wants Yearling Buck Protection with antler restrictions in their area and let me know what county and WMUs (Wildlife Management Units) you hunt in.

Feel free to Private Message me this information.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ARGUE THE ISSUE FOR THE TENTH TIME. There are lots of threads for that already! :good:

Please only respond if you want this hunting improvement in your area!

Way to try to pass opinion as fact.

• Like 6

I would like to see some type of restriction, Or maybe even a earn a buck type of program in 8J,

i do NOT like the earn a buck program!!!! what i want to see is a program that says that the buck you shoot HAS to have at least 2 pts on one side... also PLEASE make it illegal to shoot spikes and use doe tags on em!!!!

i could write a book on this but i'll keep things short. i've fiddled with this for over a decade on my family's farms and with partial neighboring farm involvement... adding up to over one thousand acres. spread or 4 points to a side minimum is the only way to protect ALMOST all yearlings. shooting no spikes and bucks with 3 points to a side or more doesn't do a whole lot as you can clean off practically all 2.5 year olds throughout the course of the season. also with a 3 pts per side min, bucks rarely make it to 3.5 yr old. 3.5 yrs old is still only halfway to maturity for body size and growth. genetics changing is almost negligible, but point AR's will hinder bigger antler genetics. it'll only help you put better age structure in front of a hunter to help teach them. age trumps everything else when it comes to antler size. however, back to age structure, it will allow more breeding bucks to survive to ensure all doe get breed in the first cycle which leads to healthier fawns the following fall leading into winter.

I like the idea and it should be for all deer not just bucks,I have yet to see a mature doe in my area in the last 3 years.Area 4.Every thing was 2 years or younger.The DEC said the were going to limit the amount of doe permits this past season,They should have not given any out.Other then for the youth hunt.You can get your doe in archery or MZ. season.If your a meat hunter.They should stiffen the fines on Jacking deer,there is still a lot of that going on too.

• Like 1

I'd be for it... At least for a 3 point one side minimum ... Would at least help them get to 2 or hopefully 3 years old ... First year or two would suck for some but coming from Florida and having hunted wma's with and without restrictions u can tell the difference in the quality of bucks hangin at the check stations ...