All about electric cars......

Doc

The grid and battery technology are the biggest issues.  Never mind renewable energy a power plant can burn fossil fuels at a much higher efficiency then a ICE. But the battery technology and infrastructure are the biggest restriction for the middle class buyers that can afford them. If the price verse efficiency was viable more middle class would be purchasing them. In my opinion it’s just not there yet and the best technology that is truly reliable and efficient for most is hybrid technology.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 2

I winter in cold temperature they can lose UpTo 40% of there power just like any other battery. Ask the people who were stranded on I95 and there batteries ran down and they had to ask people with gas powered cars if they could warm up in there cars.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We're trying to get rid of burning fossil fuels ,meanwhile Obama just had 3 giant propane tanks delivered to his mansion.

No different than screaming for gun control as they are  surrounded by armed guards . 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BizCT said:

Ok but then what is that comparable in gas. That was the point I was trying to figure out. If every EV is $15-20K more than the comparable gas than it doesn’t pay long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure. There are a lot of factors that effect your mileage to include elevation, temperature and your payload. Is the AC on ? Too much for me to figure out. Thats why they all seem to include a computer that plots it all out. 

I don't think the battery is solid enough yet to trust one, but thats going to figured out by the time my kids are driving. 

As far as them not working in the cold, Norway is pretty cold, and electric vehicles made up 65% of the cars sold there in 2021. Thats mostly due to government backing/subsidising, but is that any different than subsidising the oil industry ?

The charging system will grow over time, most new hotels include charging stations that are available and I think more businesses will add them as a way to draw in the growing market. Taking the boat to the marina ? Let the truck charge while you fish.

This guy has some pretty good videos testing the F150 out, his latest might be interesting to some:

The real answer to getting people and the market to buy into more green options is hybrid.  Currently there are a bunch of different options out there that have been successful.  I'm not sure why there isn't a bigger push to get more hybrid options out on the highway rather than the push for full electric. As has already been stated, the lack of tax revenue from fuel sales is going to be another big issue and no one is talking about that.  Wait until it cost you $1500 to get your car inspected due to being taxed by the mile.  Also, as demand increases for electricity, what do you think will happen to the price of it?  Now your home costs are also going through the roof.  Things are not looking good heading down the path government is taking.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cachemoney said:

Not sure. There are a lot of factors that effect your mileage to include elevation, temperature and your payload. Is the AC on ? Too much for me to figure out. Thats why they all seem to include a computer that plots it all out. 

I don't think the battery is solid enough yet to trust one, but thats going to figured out by the time my kids are driving. 

As far as them not working in the cold, Norway is pretty cold, and electric vehicles made up 65% of the cars sold there in 2021. Thats mostly due to government backing/subsidising, but is that any different than subsidising the oil industry ?

The charging system will grow over time, most new hotels include charging stations that are available and I think more businesses will add them as a way to draw in the growing market. Taking the boat to the marina ? Let the truck charge while you fish.

This guy has some pretty good videos testing the F150 out, his latest might be interesting to some:

Is the government/tax payers really subsidizing the oil and gas industry or is it mostly the money given to these companies for things like heating fuel for people in need of help?

1 hour ago, Rack Attack said:

The real answer to getting people and the market to buy into more green options is hybrid.  Currently there are a bunch of different options out there that have been successful.  I'm not sure why there isn't a bigger push to get more hybrid options out on the highway rather than the push for full electric. As has already been stated, the lack of tax revenue from fuel sales is going to be another big issue and no one is talking about that.  Wait until it cost you $1500 to get your car inspected due to being taxed by the mile.  Also, as demand increases for electricity, what do you think will happen to the price of it?  Now your home costs are also going through the roof.  Things are not looking good heading down the path government is taking.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/35209996.html

Im very curios where Toyota will go with their new hydrogen engine , it’s a joint effort between them and Yamaha . I could see a hydrogen electric hybrid that I bet would do very well . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rob-c said:

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/35209996.html

Im very curios where Toyota will go with their new hydrogen engine , it’s a joint effort between them and Yamaha . I could see a hydrogen electric hybrid that I bet would do very well . 

Hydrogen vehicles would have same issue as electric.  No infrastructure.  There are a few manufacturers that are very involved with hydrogen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

Mileage tax my friend. 

7 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Hydrogen vehicles would have same issue as electric.  No infrastructure.  There are a few manufacturers that are very involved with hydrogen. 

Not really.  They won’t have a problem of worthlessness when the oem battery is worn out, they won’t overtax the electrical grid, won’t be as limited on range, won’t struggle mightily in cold climates.  And they won’t force us to import raw materials from potential adversaries.  

Called Ford today to inquire about a Maverick Hybrid for my daughter.

They stopped taking orders for new ones months ago due to parts supply issues, and they won't take orders for a 2023 model until Sept 1.  They are having trouble getting the parts needed to fulfill orders.  If they can't get parts to build new ones, that doesn't bode well for getting parts to fix any issues you might have after you buy one.

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Called Ford today to inquire about a Maverick Hybrid for my daughter.

They stopped taking orders for new ones months ago due to parts supply issues, and they won't take orders for a 2023 model until Sept 1.  They are having trouble getting the parts needed to fulfill orders.  If they can't get parts to build new ones, that doesn't bode well for getting parts to fix any issues you might have after you buy one.

That is not only the maverick. 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, BizCT said:

$40K? I saw like $75K-$90K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My nephew got on GMs list for some sort of EV, maybe Tahoe or Suburban size, it was like 86k, they’ve since raised it to 100k plus .

Ive got to look up the “ EV “ fire truck some granola crunching west coast dept got it’s pretty funny .

• Like 2

Here’s the amazing fire engine , it’s battery is good for two whole hours WTF ! It’s sop on my dept that the fuel never goes below 1/2 a tank , but they’re filled up at 3/4s so you don’t run out at a fire . Then on prolonged fires we send a fuel truck just in case . In winter times it’s never shut off when out side to keep water circulating .

We could easily run a truck two,hours a shift  , without it running at all at a fire,this thing will be charging more then operating .i can’t imagine a truck that only runs two,hours , a busy house may be out for hours at a time . Total show piece .

ha ha ha just watched the other video , it has a “ range extender “ aka Diesel engine that kicks in after two hours .

oh and Rosenbauer fire trucks basically suck to begin with . We’ve had nothing but issues with ours, little things like pumps stopping working at fires , we developed new sops on pump,opps because of how unreliable they are .

https://electrek.co/2022/05/17/electric-fire-truck-deployed-us-lafd/

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

Here’s the amazing fire engine , it’s battery is good for two whole hours WTF ! It’s sop on my dept that the fuel never goes below 1/2 a tank , but they’re filled up at 3/4s so you don’t run out at a fire . Then on prolonged fires we send a fuel truck just in case . In winter times it’s never shut off when out side to keep water circulating .

We could easily run a truck two,hours a shift  , without it running at all at a fire,this thing will be charging more then operating .i can’t imagine a truck that only runs two,hours , a busy house may be out for hours at a time . Total show piece .

ha ha ha just watched the other video , it has a “ range extender “ aka Diesel engine that kicks in after two hours .

oh and Rosenbauer fire trucks basically suck to begin with . We’ve had nothing but issues with ours, little things like pumps stopping working at fires , we developed new sops on pump,opps because of how unreliable they are .

https://electrek.co/2022/05/17/electric-fire-truck-deployed-us-lafd/

I agree with you Nomad . Besides the shiny bells and whistles ,the specs make it sound like a 1.2 million dollar piece of worthless junk. I would be willing to bet that once that water pump is activated at full power , that charge wont last for 20 min. The 2 hour charge is based on driving it . Once that 750 GPM pump is deployed , its going to drain that charge faster than pounding down a shot of Jack Daniels. :drinks:                Probably going to have to have the diesel fired generator truck follow it around to charge it  up when it loses power!  

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

I kind of thought that there were a lot of questions about this forced action of switching over to electric cars that were not being asked or the answers not reported to the public. That is why I started this topic. It appears that we are trying to go into a whole new technology without the required baby steps. That is not really a very smart thing to put the U.S. population through. It is kind of like everything else that the government is touching these days. There usually is an evolutionary process that ensures a well thought out final product, and I think we have been working towards that. But to kill off one major energy source when the next one is no where near ready, that sounds like the scatter-brained thinking that drives our government these days.

Wait until winter arrives and all the people heating with fuel oil find that the government has made fuel oil impossible to afford. Not really a problem....right? Just throw more free money at it and make another whole segment of the population dependent on the government for staying alive. Not to mention the extension of inflation.

I am starting to get concerned. 

• Like 2

Not to be one of those guys but, Why limit us to only one option of power? That sounds like a recipe for failure to me.. Your mining materials to "Make" batteries.. I hear the mining operation is quite the process. When piping oil.. you "break down" the petroleum and in short terms have gasoline.. Why not just have the "option" to utilize EV and or gas / diesel products? OR is there more to it? When the people of power push towards a mono supply of power, literally only 1 type of energy available, for EVERYTHING, that is certainly a setup for disaster, or is it the plan for a desired result?... Where's the back up plan if this fails (which it will) not sure how you can store that much Electric power when storms roll through and ruin plans.  Im not against EV, but like the vaccine, its being forced upon.. which is wrong. Is it really for future environmental purposes? Is it for controlling purposes and controlling power grids across the country? The power that everything we will own in 15 years will run on? Sounds like a bag of trash to me! What do we do when storms shut electricity down for hours, days, weeks etc... There is no way you can store that much electricity to power vehicles, to power communities(since that's the direction this state is heading) when the power goes out.. not when EVERYTHING is Electricity dependent..  

What about the rets of the world? Isn't there countries that don't even have Catalytic converters on their engines? and more, I get it, we cant control other countries..  Yea sure id imagine they are a smaller population.. but each scenario holds different weight upon terms of pollution. 

Compare the operation it takes to extract these minerals and petroleum's to make our current and future powers, then compare everything to the end product of refilling or recharging.. or replacing, The entire process. From very beginning to very end.. What if EV totally fails? Or The entire electric power grid for our homes and communities fails? Factories, cities, Supply Stations etc..  

I need answers also.. Bc Im not being forced into anything without pure facts first.. This doesn't sound like a direction we should be heading, or even considering in times like this.. Get this country squared around and then experiment and offer options, not enforcing agendas.. 

The people in power should be concerned for American Citizen Morale, ease of life, our futures, our children and grand children.. And they clearly are not concerned for any of that. Every day people are stretched thinner and thinner, having to work more, pick up extra jobs, wonder where there 401k went, cant save the same, If The president is truly for the American people, he would make sure we felt safer at home, we didn't have to wake up and worry..  supposed to be easier to live.. This is America..

Sorry Rant over, you got me heated up for a moment 

• Like 1