Assembly gun bill

What a struggle trying to read this thing. Some of it is almost like in code or something. I believe it has gotten to the point of needing a lawyer at time of purchase if you are considering buying or selling a gun (I did see some 5 to 15 year mandated sentences for some violations). I see a new area of specialization developing for lawyers.

Some of what I saw regarded mental health/gun ownership issues. In fact that was a pretty large chunk. Of course the devil's in the details, but on the surface, those things looked good.

I will be continuing to dig my way through this mess and try to make some sense of it all, but I really don't hold out much hope for de-coding it all.

Please let me know if I read this correctly!

1. I don't see any provisions to grandfather detachable mags greater than 10 rounds regardless of caliber?

2. I don't understand the .22 rifles. They must be at least 30 years old to be grandfathered?

3. Standard/Basic semi auto pistols are not included in this legislation?

4. ALL sales Private or Otherwise required to go through FFL with Background Check.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks and God Help US.

Please let me know if I read this correctly!

1. I don't see any provisions to grandfather detachable mags greater than 10 rounds regardless of caliber?

2. I don't understand the .22 rifles. They must be at least 30 years old to be grandfathered?

3. Standard/Basic semi auto pistols are not included in this legislation?

4. ALL sales Private or Otherwise required to go through FFL with Background Check.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks and God Help US.

The second part of section 38 ,if I read it right, says that mags that hold no more than 10 rounds, and are already possessed, will be grandfathered but can only be loaded with 7 rounds.

"however, that such term ("meaning large capacity magazine")

30 does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and

31 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition OR A

32 FEEDING DEVICE THAT IS A CURIO OR RELIC."

The way I read this, and I might be wrong, is that tubular magazine 22's such as remington model 552 and the model 572 woud be exempted.

"however, that such term ("meaning large capacity magazine")

30 does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and

31 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition OR A

32 FEEDING DEVICE THAT IS A CURIO OR RELIC."

The way I read this, and I might be wrong, is that tubular magazine 22's such as remington model 552 and the model 572 woud be exempted.

I honestly can't tell....

i just finished reading :read: the entire section. I like the penalties for gun crimes and the mental health amendments but the rest is so confusing (even for me). :fie: I'd love to see how law enforcement is going to enforce this. The confusion is going to result in so many legal challenges.

What of course doesn't surprise me is that they've included a life sentence without parole for anyone firing at a service employee (fire/ambulance etc). Which nobody disagrees with. But if you vote no, you know your opponent next re-election year will claim you voted against fireman being shot. it's so f'n infuriating!

What about tube fed .22 that is a pump. Is all this legislation just going after a semi auto gun whether it be rifle or pitol

From my quick skimming, it does not sound like any of this applies to pump, lever action, or bolt action rifles or shotguns. Anyone interpret this word soup differently?

From my quick skimming, it does not sound like any of this applies to pump, lever action, or bolt action rifles or shotguns. Anyone interpret this word soup differently?

There is a section that applies to shot guns. Semi's with a pistol grip, thumb hole stock, a capacity larger than 7.... don't remember all of them.

There is a section that applies to shot guns. Semi's with a pistol grip, thumb hole stock, a capacity larger than 7.... don't remember all of them.

yes but i think that applied to semi-auto shotguns. I didn't see anything about pump shotguns. I guess we can still have pumps with pistol grips?

I am pulling my hair out. Oh wait Im bald...ANYHOW for a weapon to be now considered an Assault weapon inside NY. does only have to meet one charateristic or have at least 2 ??? The bill explains both.

I now take it a basic stock Semi auto Ruger 10/22 does not fall under the assault weapons ban.