can my remington be saved? (rust)

I have a Remington 870 express that I took out of the trunk yesterday and it is is COVERED in rust for unknown reasons (I took care of it and

I had another gun next to it that had no rust on it). Do you think it can be saved? I called Remington they want to sand off the rust but I think it should be replaced as doing that would damage the finish. (its under warranty)

I have a Remington 870 express that I took out of the trunk yesterday and it is is COVERED in rust for unknown reasons (I took care of it and

I had another gun next to it that had no rust on it). Do you think it can be saved? I called Remington they want to sand off the rust but I think it should be replaced as doing that would damage the finish. (its under warranty)

I can't believe they would warranty a rusty gun. That would be misuse I'd think.

The trunk of your car is the worst place to keep a gun, especially this time of year. While you drive around, with the heat on, some of that heat makes its way to the trunk. when you turn the car off it cools and condensation builds up. Even though it seems dry, moisture is building up.

if it is under a waranty then have it replaced. if not then try some 3 and 1 oil and a soft cloth. if the rust is as thick as you say it is............ take it to a smith and see what they can do or just go and buy a replacement barrle (if it is only the barrle) that is rusted. and finaly........... keep your gun in a proper storage place...... not the trunk of your car.

soak 0000 steel wool in a jar of hopes solvent and then with light pressure buff the rust, it will come right off. you can then cold blue the spots that are left. blueing is a rusting process so to remove the rust you will also remove the blue under the rust if it is that thick. thin surface rust will come right off with a hopes 9 solvent dripping soaked 0000 steel wool sponge. If you are in southern Vt this winter I am 20 minutes from Orvis, I can run your gun through the gunshop we have and it will be ready to go while we have coffee and BS about hunting guns and dogs. we make flintlocks but its no problem to fix that up for you since you are a member of this forum. drop me a line if you are coming, will be in vt until june then moving perm to Wyoming. thanks and good luck, hell it happens to everyone if they have guns and use them, had a leaking trunk wrecked a 92 Winchester on me like that, was mint, now its a reblued truck gun

• Like 3

if it is under a waranty then have it replaced. if not then try some 3 and 1 oil and a soft cloth. if the rust is as thick as you say it is............ take it to a smith and see what they can do or just go and buy a replacement barrle (if it is only the barrle) that is rusted. and finaly........... keep your gun in a proper storage place...... not the trunk of your car.

how likely is it that they will replace it vs try and repair it?

Buck up and pay for your mistake. You left it in the trunk, you got what you deserve. Not to mention the fact it could have been stolen. You give gun owners a bad name.

I agree

their shotguns are crap if they rust that easy

So foolish to leave it there and then blame them for your mistake

You left it in your trunk for months and wonder why it rusted??? Good luck, not sure why Remington would do anything for rust. The shotgun rusted due to your mistake, not because they are crap.

HEY IDIOT DID U MISS THE PART THAT SAID I HAD NO PROBLEMS?? OR THE PART WHERE I HAD A MOSSBERG NEXT TO IT WITH NO RUST ON IT?

You left it in your trunk for months and wonder why it rusted??? Good luck, not sure why Remington would do anything for rust. The shotgun rusted due to your mistake, not because they are crap.

******EDITED*********

Foul language and name calling will not be tolerated.

I think mabye some snow or rain got on it and it sat in the trunk wet not sure

I think this is why the "idiot" said what he did. How did it get rain or snow on it?

Hunting?

Shooting?

Did you leave the trunk open in a storm?

Your girl friends brother borrow it and not dry it after use?

Gremlins?

You say the Mossberg has no rust, huh? Well maybe you should tell us the ENTIRE story, from the start.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Wow, you store your guns in the trunk of your car and I'm the "idiot" or "moron" it's time for you to grow up, put on your big boy pants and take some responsibility for your actions. Calling people names and swearing on a public message board only reinforces what my thoughts of you are.

Again, you left the gun in your trunk for months and wonder why it rusted???? Call Remington and tell them this and see what they say.....lmao

• Like 2

Wow, you store your guns in the trunk of your car and I'm the "idiot" or "moron" it's time for you to grow up, put on your big boy pants and take some responsibility for your actions. Calling people names and swearing on a public message board only reinforces what my thoughts of you are.

Again, you left the gun in your trunk for months and wonder why it rusted???? Call Remington and tell them this and see what they say.....lmao

He knows it was foolish

• Like 1

You know what, I don't think it was your fault after all. In facts its God's fault. He created the rain and an idiot like you. So hide behind your mistake and call others names. You are an embarrasment to gun owners. I only hope he created you sterile as well, so you don't pass on your diminished inteligence to others.