Fox calling

greybeard

I keep my own logs, but figured I'd try this...I'll start off warning that there is no kill at the end so you may not want to waste your time reading it. It's calling with mouth calls only, kinda catch and release. Today's location is in a no hunting area, but the fox here don't know it and are always very cautious.

I enjoy hunting red fox, but I don't shoot them. I have no room for trophies and don't want to spend the time skinning them.I have journals documenting all that I have called in and have many memorable and close up photos.

the hunt :

This month I have called in five reds and decided to try for a few more today.

I headed out this morning around 9 a.m.( i NEVER GET OUT EARLY). The temperature was in the 20's and it was overcast with a very light breeze..

I arrived at my private/secret location and headed into the woods. I have called this area through the years and am very familiar with the area.

Today, there were a number of fox tracks in the areas where there was a coating of snow.. The woods were mostly dry and leaves crispy and good for hearing incoming fox..

Many times when I scout this area I can smell fox and set up for calling, but that did not happen this morning.

After many unsuccessful locations using what I can best describe as a a flat bite call, I decided to try a bite down variable call.

I started wailing like no animal in this area would do, but it sounded like some sort of tortured creature. Almost immediately, I heard the leaves behind me and as I turned I saw a red bearing down on my location. At less than 10 yards from me, after seeing my movement, it stopped and turned as if it had hit an electric fence and took off back into the woods. I have called many fox from this location and they had never come from that direction before.(fox #1).

I moved off a little further and came to a field where I had never been successful, but looks promising, and I try it often.

I saw three whitetails grazing at the edge of the far end of the field, well over 100 yards away to my left. I quietly took a stand set back into the woods a few yards from the field. The deer had observed me, but since they could not smell me, and I sat still against a tree to break my outline, they cautiously went back to grazing.

I started low volume calling with negative results so decided to try my louder , more raspy, call.

I began playing my tunes of torture and by the third set I noticed the whitetails turn their heads abruptly looking towards the woods directly and at least 150 yards away from me.

I continued calling and looking where the deer were staring when a beautiful red came charging out and across the field towards me.

It got within 75 yards when it slowed almost to a stop and turned. If I was a shooter and this was a shooting area, this would have been my shot. It then began to trot off to my right and I could not get it to return. I don't know why it spooked, the wind was perfect , I was masked, and didn't move. (fox #2).

I decided that I would pick one more spot before I left, so I found an old area that I had success on previous occasions.

I set up with a fallen tree behind me to break my outline. I began with the raspier call this time and almost immediately heard movement, possibly 50 yards in front of me, and to my right.

I focused my old eyes on the area and a big, dark, almost maroon( I'm exaggerating) colored fox came out about 30 yards from me and stopped for a period of time apparently looking for his meal. WHATTA perfect shot that could have been !!

It began walking away, almost confused, so I changed back to my flat call and used it as a coaxer. It turned on a dime and charged towards me until it saw me (I stupidly had taken off my face mask). It stopped abruptly and turned and circled me into the briars. I could hear it as it walked almost sounding as though it was pacing, and then it walked away (fox #3).

I backtracked to attempt to find sign and although there was no visible sign in this non snow covered spot it left the unforgettable odor of fox (EAU Du Fox). I'm really getting to like that smell

I have now educated quite a few of my red friends in this area so will probably not return until next year.(sometimes I even skip a year)

This spot is one of my few spots left to call where I don't have to be concerned about educating fox and ruining for the predator guys.

I found my piece of fox heaven in the 80's when I used to train my coon hounds there and it was then that I discovered the ancestors of my current quarry. It's location is locked in the vault of my brain and never disclosed even to family.

• Like 3

Thank you Mr. Greybeard! Very interesting!

Had a fox "call" in reverse. Twice. Ever hear them scream like a woman being murdered? (when they mate I believe) Scare the crap out of ya.

Then, last year at the camp, One night I turned all the lights out for some star gazing. I am just standing there in my driveway, its really quiet, and dark. Beer and a flashlight in my hands. Then I notice an outline of something walking in the street and it makes a left into my driveway. I am like WHAT IS THAT? (Now it is coming right at me) I aim the flashlight at it and turn it on. It was a fox who proceeded to let out the loudest deep growl. Beer went flying...lol. He turned tail, but not before letting me know his displeasure of me hiding in the dark! I had no idea that they growled like that.

Thank you Shawn, I appreciate the compliment. I find calling any game addicting, and very satisfying...

I guess it's as satisfying to me as airguns are to you, These things get in a hunter's blood, don't they.

Thanks Ford, I was afraid that it would be found boring to most. It's my passion, but most people that I know have little, or no interest in "my" adventures.. BUT as you see I can be pretty long winded, so maybe they'd be better bedtime stories.I'm really getting to be that stereotypical old man that tells old stories, it's scarey when I think about it, because I may be a bit old, but not THAT old.

You're right, these things can startle you.. I'm not sure if some of the night barks I heard are the screams, but they sure are loud and high pitched. I never thought about it, but I guess it is like a scream.. In late winter on some nights we'd hear that loud eerie fox bark, or scream, and it would drive one of my old coonhounds nuts.

I do love to hear those fox barks. A few times, I've had them run in really close when I was calling and stop and bark in anger at me.. Nervy little devils when the mood strikes, but most times they take off once they realize that I'm not food I am glad that I never heard one growl at me, that would be

scarey !!

.I now carry a walking stick, which is really a perfect sized piece of driftwood,, because years back I took a break from fishing and started calling and had one almost run into me. I whacked it with my fishing rod. I don't think he wanted to attack me, it was just charging in to what it thought was food.and got REALLY close. Neither of us were too happy about the encounter. I was glad that this one didn't come from behind, like they do so often. I'm hoping I never need "THE STICK", but I got it just in case

Was the fox in the driveway a gray, or red ?

NY Hunter.. Thanx.. I'm fortunate.. I got time and I appreciate the time I got.

Chads.. WARNING !!! I'm long winded...

Everyone likes different calls so my favorites are not necessarily recommendations, they' re just the one's that I rreally like and have worked for me.

I don't want to mislead you so you should know that the info below is from my experience with

Red Fox, and I have called in a lot of them in the daytime....

BUT, I have 0 experience with coyotes, or bobcat..

I've call in hawks, crows and feral cats and even deer sometimes with my predator calls.(I called in gray foxes one year, but that was with recorded sounds at night.).

So if you're gonna target other predators you'd have to ask others here about calls they use.

I have close to 30 mouth Predator calls., and other animal bird calls that I substitute.

I tried "almost" every predator call that I have and all have worked. The one's that I haven't tried will work I'm sure in the proper setup.

I get most on line.. Cabela's, Allpredatorcalls.com. and sometimes from a manufacturer like Sceery, Verminator, Crit'r calls, and a few others.

My favorite call is the one that works that day.

I've called fox with turkey diaphragm calls, duck calls, pheasant calls, and combo duck call with coon squaller.You just have to make it sound tortured and realize that small animals have small lungs and can't make long drawn out calls..(If you take the barrel off a duck call, it'll be an open reed predator call, and when you put it back it's again a duck call.)..most Pheasant calls can be blown to sound like a predator call and some bellows squirrel calls where you can take off the bellows and it will sound like a predator call..

I just made a pheasant call that makes a better cottontail sound than many of my store bought closed reeds, and still has good pheasant sounds(I can kinda gobble with it by doing like a duck chatter(tica,tica,tica) and doing some open and closing of my hands.. .I'm not sure what I did to get the good rabbit sound..

I'll try to give you an idea of types, then you can decide...Youtube can give you some good ideas for calls and sounds

1. Open reed calls...- hardest to use, but not hard....They almost never freeze so I always carry some in winter, I mostly use these types

Open reed calls are very versatile and can make everything from distressed birds, to small rodent squeaks, cottontail, coyote howls. depending on the ones you have,.. I'm sure I've left out some sounds you can do.... Different calls can have a different pitch.. some high frequency, some not so high..The closer to the tip you put your lips the higher the pitch.. Great range of pitch Biting the tip of the reed makes squeaks

Among my favorite open reeds are :

.. Verminator Tweety, and Syco Tweety(listen on youtube).. You can get them from Verminator, and probably Cabelas, sometimes Verminator has free shipping,Tweety is black.. Syco is yellow.. Syco has crazy sound, it's a split reed..But I really like ti.. it's different.. you'll hear why on youtube

Crit'r call Peewee(youtube), You can get it on line Crit'r Calls.. You can buy high pitched and lower pitched reeds and interchange as you see fit.. It's easy to do.. They also have a Standard call, and others but I don't have any of those. I don't remember why, but I did not like the Peewee when I first got,it, over 10 years ago, BUT I was WRONG !! This call has worked VERY well for me..The fox like it ! So have crows for that matter.

Sceery open reed.. Maybe a little more expensive, but from my experience, they are a good company to deal with.

There's lots of other's but this is a quick thought.. You can also buy custom calls, but I never bought one, but you can check them out on youtube.

2. Closed reeds- Really easy, lotsa companies make them., and .depending on the call they can be really raspy and Excellent calls , but they can freeze in winter and I even have a couple that give me problems when the reed gets full of siliva...They have Metal reeds.. You can eventually blow out the reeds, especially if you use them as often as I do.

I recommend havin' a few of these with you..

They now have one called a pocket call, or key chain call, it's about the size of a quarter ( I almost always have one in my pocket when I fish especially in in my kayak in foxy areas, or as a back up call(pocket calls are about $3.25 and can get them at All Predator Calls, and I think FoxPro. Just make sure that the metal reed does.t fall out the bottom.

Among my favorite Closed reeds are :

: Lohman 211 (has coaxer built in too)

Sceery cottontail(more expensive)

Primos Double Reed Cottontail I just got this and first time out called in two fox

Carraway I think it's Raspy rabbit, Go on his site and he demostrates a few calls I have the one that looks like a ballpoint pen.. The caller is REALLY good !!

Keychain, or pocket call..AllPredatorCalls, or Foxpro( I think)

Some closed reeds have built in coaxer(rodent squeak), but you can buy seperate Coaxer closed reed calls..( On open reed calls you can usually squeak by biting on the tip and soft blowing it.)

3. Variable Bite Calls : I have 3 of these, one feezes with saliva, but all three make awsome sounds.You change the tones by biting down, and like all other types of calls, with hand movements. I really like these and used them often, but ALWAYS have backup calls.

I have not had trouble with My Johnnie Stewart Variable bite call.. It might be model pc-3.. I think it's about $ 8.00 When you see the picture it looks like it has a long bird's beak, it's not the ones with a short mouth piece.. The reed is mylar, I think, It's like the open call reeds.

I used the Primos Catnip for the three fox above, which is the same type of call.

4. Bite Calls .. I'm not sure if the term bite call is correct.. some call them rubberband calls...I have three of these...For ME the jury is out on these. I used one in my story above to coax in one of the fox, so it works fine, but I haven't used it enough to judge.. Good coaxing sounds.. and can make louder depending on the brand..One company that sells these types of calls recommends that you buy two because it'll wear out.. I like having all kinds of calls, so of course good, bad, or ugly.. I had to have it.

I'm not recommending, or have a favorite, because of my lack of time with these, but could be worth a shot.

Brand names:

U.K. Fox Call (you Tube has a great demo....this is the one I used above). I think If you

look on line for UK Fox Call you can see the video.. It sold me ! I really do think I will like it in time

Burnham brother's has a couple...I think it's the s-2 and s-4.. I haven't used them yet.

There is one called the Wolfer's Harp by Crit'r Call that looks like the UK Fox Call, but I don't own one.. Amazon sells it too.

Then there are howler's, I have two, but only because I like having calls...

They even make Diaphragm howler' like a turkey call..I bought 2 of these this year and are fun to use and I even called a fox with one, but not howling.. I made distress sounds...

They also make Bellows predator calls, but I don't have any.. YET !!

I almost forgot...Haydel's has predator calls and you can hear them on their site.. I don't have any of their predator calls, but love their pheasant call, and some of their duck calls..

I can't think of anything else off hand. I hope it helped and wasn't too long .I couldn't think iof a way to shorten it..

Thank you Shawn.. That's how I feel about you when you teach me about airguns.

I hope that I answered Chads question. I know that I did not recommend any particular call because I thought it was better that a person hears them and sees them demonstrated on youtube, or by the company website to get some ideas. I wish that those things were available when I started calling, it would have saved me a lot of time, I had no one to teach me.

As I stated above, I am NOT an expert, and don't pretend to be, but I have called in a lot of red fox and am passionate about calling. So, that being understood, I could recommend a couple , which would be "MY" choice,

if I was starting and only wanted two, or three calls( I do recommend 2, or 3 because of possible malfunction),. I think that info like that is best done in a P.M.because I believe that I should explain why "I" like the calls, and answer questions and it might take a bit of space to do it here.

Thanx again for the compliment,Shawn. I'm heading out today to call some crows, I LOVE cranking them up !

Speaking of crows. My dad has a Primos power dogg electronic call which he uses for predators. It came with a "crow rally" preset call. It's funny when he plays it, swarms of crows come in from all directions.

It's true that predator calling can become addictive. I started going with my dad when I was a youngster 20-25 years ago. Then when I hit 12 I would venture out @ night by myself. These days my fiance calls me obsessed with hunting. I love predator hunting as much as archery deer season, which is hard to top!

I've hunted fox/yotes almost religously @ night with lights and occasionally my dads nightvision, but hearing of your success on calling them in during daylight opens alot of doors for my "obsession"!!! Thanks for that!!! :spiteful:

You guys should check out the youtube videos from DownWindOutdoors. They film alot of daytime hunts and they are here in NY.

Predate I've seen their videos.. They are outstanding. I was so impressed I recommended that a few hunters watch them..

When I was younger I used to coon hunt at night,but now I'm too tired at night. I don't bounce back so good anymore.

I have a question....Two young guys who I know are trying to get into Coyote hunting with ecalls(for now). They have asked me a lot of questions, but I can only help them with red fox..They like the fox stuff, but want coyotes .

I had some thoughts, but I really am clueless about 'yotes, so maybe you can steer me right..

They night hunt only, as far as I know, and when they call many times coyotes answer and come in, but not close enough for a shot. Would coyote urine placed near the caller help. I told them that I would ask someone with a lot of experience, so now I have.

I thought about the urine smell because quite a few times I pick a calling spot after I smell where a fox left some scent.I never tried bottled fox urine as an attractor, so don't know if it would work, but it intrigues me.Since those smelly spots have produced for me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts that you have.

Greybeard, I wish I could give you a better answer, but seeing that I only use mouthcalls, my advice might not be as on point as someone with experience with E-calls. The urine could help, but as you know, there is no silver bullet when trying to call in a K9. Since I only use mouth calls(for now) I am used to picking up eyes that are focused on me. From what I gather, e-callers are placed up/cross windfrom the shooter so that the predator gets intercepted as it tries to scent check. They may be setting up wrong, if the yote is smelling the call, they should be in the line of fire. Also,with remote callers, the predators aren't looking at the hunters, but rather at the call. So they might just not be spotting the eyes.

With yotes, that's how they play! Always on edge and leary. I don't take any chances, I'm always checking my downwind side.

When using distress calls, sometimes the fox will just be the first on the scene so they can get the meal before the yotes come in and steal it. Coyote vocals are working for me lately. Fox are known to also come in to them. If they are seeing eyes, they should be thankful. Some people I've talked to say things have been slow for them.

If the two guys you mentioned are hunting partners, they might do better if they sit farther downwind from the caller to ensure not getting winded. Or they could split up and both scan for eyes from different angles.

Predate.. I only use mouth calls to ,so I couldn't help them with ecall techniques.

I will pass on the information you gave. I'm sure it will help . Thanx for taking the time to help.them.

I learned from your info too .

I never knew that fox would answer a coyote vocalization. I always figured that if a fox heard a 'yote , it'd be gone in a second.

...The only vocalizations that I ever heard about for fox was on a radio predator hunting radio show online. I love the show.. One of the guests on one show, named Andrew Lewand, spoke about FOX vocalizations using mouth calls,to call in fox... During around the time of the mating season, I tried it with one of my calls that I thought I could come close to the right tone.

A red came in, but I had earlier used distress calls, so I'm not 100% sure if that was the key. At least I didn't scare it away. It was the last sequence that I used so I think that it could have been that barking series that brought him in.

Lewand is a predator hunter and author and from NY. He impressed me, so I'm going to keep trying it when I'm out and the time of year is right.

Thanks again for the help.I'll pass it on.

• Like 1

Oh yes, Predator talkcast with Brian Downs. I too go back and listen to the older shows on occasion. I actually found out about it on the forum that was started and is run by Andrew Lewand. It's called BarkAtTheMoonCoyoteClub. I've been a member over there since '09

A guy over there actually posted a pic recently of a fox that he got while using coyote vocals.

Here's the link to the site.

http://barkmoon.proboards.com/

• 1 year later...