First Deer On Camera Ever… Age?

First time using trail cameras and got my first notification tonight. Pretty exciting, I can see how this can get addicting.

I am guessing this is a younger buck. Any insight from guys? How do I estimate age and that kind of stuff?

254608e4928e11a95d9e54c9f11fea6d.png

b19e6004631d39c5d511467cf4974d64.png

5239eee3f5f845bcef9ebd8b3dd2e4db.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This one just ran across our back yard, as I was setting up the pool.  I think he might be 3.1, if it’s the one I saw a couple times out back last season.  I passed him twice as a 1.5 (once in crossbow once in gun season).  As a four point his first year, he had one side antler that was normal and the other side at an odd angle.  He had an 8 point rack, during early September gun last year, that was funky on one side.  He fed 20 yards from my stand for about 10 minutes on the first evening of that season.  

I never saw him, when I could have legally killed him, but I didn’t hunt back there much then, and probably would have passed him up to the last day of Holiday ML, if I had seen him due to his small body size last year.  

Today’s also had a funky right side, and his body looks bigger, so I think it is him again.  If he shoes up in range after crossbow opens this year, he won’t be getting a pass.  Somebody’s got to take those funky racks out of the gene pool.  Don’t matter to me, because I am mostly in it for the meat. 

57BE94AE-EAC4-49E2-A783-484C16348154.thumb.jpeg.17be54b44031909b5261ac7ff36a0e5b.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

What do you see that indicates good genetics?

I think he's gonna be a basket 6pt greater than 42" as a 1.5, so that would put him above average for SENY as  1.5 year old. 

Screenshot 2022-06-21 095127.png

Edited by BizCT

25 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

The OP pic is from 6K… which is northern zone CNY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I don’t believe the picture above is of a SENY buck?

Also, you’re making big assumptions on growth from these pictures.  

Not sure where it's from. I think it beats 42" by 10/1, but maybe I'll be wrong.