Losing Strength

fasteddie

I had to drop my bow poundage from 60# so I could shoot it . Dropped the limbs 2 full turns each . At it gets easier , I will move the poundage back up . The way the weather has been , I can start shooting in the back yard again . 

• Like 2

Eddie be aware of a couple of factors that you cannot control. First off as you age your upper body strength will naturally decrease. I have experienced this and had to turn down my bow over the years. Second as you get cold in the woods your strength will significantly decrease compared to what you can draw shooting your bow on a warm day. Turning down your bow should not be a concern as long as you tune it for a lower draw weight. Another way to help compensate for lower draw weight is to use a cut on contact broadhead. Good luck.       valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1

Im in the same boat, eddie.  I missed two great opertunities last bow season because I couldnt draw the bow....one was on a big doe and the other a big bodied 6pt.  I dont know if I was just too cold or lost too much strength but it seemd fine when I drew the bow while warm inside the house...

16 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I did the same routine last year . Lowered the poundage and worked it back up during the summer months . I feel more confident at 60# and that got me a buck last season . 

Get an Accubow. You crank up the poundage each week and use it year-round.

The year I tore my rotator I couldn’t shoot my 57 lb recurve so I hunted with a 43 lb longbow.  I was a little leary of the poundage but it zipped an arrow through a fat 3.5 year old buck like a knife through butter. I’m back up to 57 lbs but feel better about the future knowing how well the light poundage worked. Good luck and don’t over do it

• Like 2

I will be 81 this coming Bow Season . Why would I invest in a new bow at that age ...... I will be ready with my Ben Pearson bow by October 1st . 

Because you could shoot it more comfortably at lower poundage and get the same performance. And New gear is fun at any age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Has to be some type of exercise that targets, no pun intended, that muscle group so you can keep them strong during off season. 

Yea shoot your bow. Lol same applies into the season. Our season is long. Some practice preseason and then once season is here they stop shooting.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Because you could shoot it more comfortably at lower poundage and get the same performance. And New gear is fun at any age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
New bows are very efficient. I agree. A lot to be had with a new bow with light limbs.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk