Guinea fowl

I have seen Guinea Fowl a number of times, over many years,roaming around Long Island. Most time in close proximity to houses so I'm sure that they were domestic. I know that people get them to eat ticks among other reasons so they let them wander.

However, not that long ago I saw some too far away from houses to be what I would consider domestic( I have also seen chickens at times too far to be someones possessions, I even have seen chickens in the wooded areas near the bay side of Jones Beach..)

I never much thought anything about them, except that they were noisy, until one morning I heard a Guinea Fowl calling,from some high marsh grass along the water when I was kayak fishing,. I always have some calls with me when I'm out there so I tried to imitate it's call, as best I could, with a mouth call. We'd call back and forth, but I think that all I did was aggravate it, and it really wasn't answering me.. My imitation left much to be desired. I had the right cadence, but my tone was off.(I'm working on it).. I sounded more like a rooster pheasant that day.

My question is, if you are a LONG distance from houses, and now they are wild birds, and you see them in the public woods, are they legal game..

I would like to call them in even if I can't shoot one, but they look like they'd be good to eat, and calling one to the gun would be HOT SH#$@!

Are they ever legal to shoot ?

• 7 years later...
On 1/30/2013 at 6:45 PM, greybeard said:

I have seen Guinea Fowl a number of times, over many years,roaming around Long Island. Most time in close proximity to houses so I'm sure that they were domestic. I know that people get them to eat ticks among other reasons so they let them wander.

However, not that long ago I saw some too far away from houses to be what I would consider domestic( I have also seen chickens at times too far to be someones possessions, I even have seen chickens in the wooded areas near the bay side of Jones Beach..)

I never much thought anything about them, except that they were noisy, until one morning I heard a Guinea Fowl calling,from some high marsh grass along the water when I was kayak fishing,. I always have some calls with me when I'm out there so I tried to imitate it's call, as best I could, with a mouth call. We'd call back and forth, but I think that all I did was aggravate it, and it really wasn't answering me.. My imitation left much to be desired. I had the right cadence, but my tone was off.(I'm working on it).. I sounded more like a rooster pheasant that day.

My question is, if you are a LONG distance from houses, and now they are wild birds, and you see them in the public woods, are they legal game..

I would like to call them in even if I can't shoot one, but they look like they'd be good to eat, and calling one to the gun would be HOT SH#$@!

Are they ever legal to shoot ?

Hey, did you get any replies through pm? I'm wonder about the same thing too......