Finding your first Bow

Dorsilfin

Hey All,

I am looking to get into bow hunting after a fun first year doing rifle. My Uncle who was a long time hunter recommended that I get measured to see which bows will fit me. So I went and got measured at Kenco's on Rt 28 with a draw length of 29.5 They were really friendly and thanked them for their time but was uninterested in buying a new bow just yet but would keep them in mind for any misc supplys I need.

So now that I know my draw length, I've been doing a bit of craigslist window shopping and am trying to determine which bows might be good for me.

My ultimate goal is just to have a plain jane bow with no thrills for hunting deer in the catskills. for the most part it will be from the ground doing still hunting, or possibly a climber treestand if I can find one light enough to hike into stand land and back out with me.

I know its only Feb, and Oct is a long way aways, but Id like to get something and practice all summer to be proficient enough to put the arrow where I need when its go time.

Any guideance would be greatly appreciated.

-Dors

Check archery talk. They have a very active classified section with good prices on used bows. Some are bare bow, some are fully rigged. In the end, the best option is to shoot some bows to determine what feels right for you. I started with a single cam and after testing some elites, I made the switch. I was fine with my mathews, but love the binary cam and draw cycle of the elites. I would not have know if I never tested the bow (albeit a bit late for me). All the big manufacturers make good quality bows. It all comes down to personal preference and in the end. For pure hunting, I would look for a 32"ish ATA, a smooth draw cycle, something that is easy to hold and a draw weight that is easy for you.

All I can say is...1.) get measured by more than one place...just a double check...

2.) then get off the computer for now and go pick up a bunch of bows

and ask the shops to shoot them...

This is the only way to find a bow you will be happy with...there are a lot of used bows at shops as well as new ones...and a lot of low end new ones that shoot great...I don't consider my mission a high end bow 400.00 but it was the best fit for me and It shoots great....go pick up some bows and have fun choosing...then hit Craigs list...Good Luck

I was measured two different ways...First time by a competitive shooter and pro bow shop owner 70+ yrs old.... then two more times while looking for a new bow ..pro shops...all different measurements and different ways.... I have a 27in draw from 28-26 1/2...The last shop measured while I was at full draw

You know that old carpenters saying...measure twice cut once..I tend to live by that...lol

My 1st bow and still using it is a 2011 PSE X-Force Axe-7(7" brace height). I am extremely pleased this thing is deadly. I am 6'2" and am set up with a 29.5" draw length. This is a pro-shop bow and was thoroughly educated, measured and was given 15 hours of free indoor/outdoor course. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Feraris-Archery-and-Hunting-Supplies/123209671068985

After shooting a few bows, I finally bought a no thrills 2009 PSE Deerhunter new online from Ye Olde Archery shop and a dozen aluminum arrows cut to size for $250. It came with a cheap drop away rest, and a garbage site. After a few months I bought a truglo 4 pin site, whisker biscuit rest and the misc accssories, switched to Carbon express arrows. 27.5" DL and 55# DW. Has served me well for last few years although I have not taken anything with it yet and I can't justify spending lots of $$$ on a 2013 bow yet.

Edited by Deerthug

Draw length at how many pounds.You should find out how many pounds you are comfortable pulling and holding,then measure the draw length after that.AS you can take a 40 pound bow and draw 29" then take a 60 pound bow and only draw 27".

Are you suggesting to go with a shorter draw length if they can pull more weight at it? Cause if so that is completely wrong. Your draw length is what it is.

Rule of thumb you should always go a little shorter on your draw length. You will shoot more accurate. If they measure you at 29.5 you better off going 29. That its betterr as you break your bow in the the strings will stretech. Here's something things I like that may not be for everyone but I find the most practical for hunting

1.) Arrows with 4 inch vanes. A little slower but more forgiving

2.) Drop away rest. More forgiving then a whisker bisquit but a little louder.

3.) Sight with all green pins. I find the other colors aren't as bright

4.) Sight with Pins that get small as the distance increase

5.) Something you feel with comfortable with. the best bow for you might not be the best for me

6.) Nylon string loop. Forgiving and lightweight and eliminates the need for any knocking pts that slow your bow down

7.) A practical hunting stablizer. Longer is bet for the range but always the case in the woods

8.) Plastic bow case. protects your bow and its lightweight

9.) Learn how to tune your bow yourself. It's easy to learn and you will do it right. Someone else tuning means its in tune for them not you and everyones different!

That answer is NO.It was never stated what type and weight bow was used to check the draw length.If a person can only draw 50 pounds and a 60 pound bow was used,the proper draw length will not be reached.Is that any clearer.

I've never seen an archery shop use an actual bow to measure draw length. At least the ones I've been to.

He's not completely wrong, longer draw equals higher speed and having a draw length thats a little shorter than longer is more accurate

Remember we are taking about a beginner here, whom is looking to get into the sport. I don't think any good archery shop is gonna advise him to go with a shorter draw length (.5" ok but over that is too much) cause its more accurate or a longer one to gain speed. They will give him his actual length so he can purchase the bow that fits him best. Honestly, if a shop suggested that to me, I wouldn't return. That's stuff you mess around with at home.

Edited by chiefbkt

I've never seen an archery shop use an actual bow to measure draw length. At least the ones I've been to.

That his how the shop I bought my mission from measured me which by the way has proven perfect.....First time I was measured it was figure tip to finger tip another was spine to finger tip...Thus the 3 different measurements and my saying get more than one to be sure...

AT classified, used bows in local shops, or PSE has some great entry level bows, the Brute X is a sweet lil shooter.

If you can find a good bow shop they will be an invaluable resource of info for you. If you anywhere near Tully, NY. i recommend Legends of the Fall. They are simply the best.

I disagree most of what you read most experts at bowshops recomend you go a little on the shorter side exspecially if you plan on using a release

The reason you see that is because 95% of the people who have incorrect DL have TOO LONG of a DL. Release and loops do not affect DL. They affect your anchor point.

• Like 1