Not so funny

fasteddie

There is a lot of truth in the cartoon. A minority of hunters are responsible for leaving trash behind. We have all seen it. When scouting I bring along a garbage bag and pick up trash when I can. I have had stand locations on Public and Private  land despoiled by many a slob hunter.

Had an anti hunter coming onto our leased land years ago.  The fool was doing damage to our stands and throwing beer cans around trying to make it look like we were drinking beer while hunting.

The woman we leased from caught the guy.  IT WAS HER OWN SON!

???

I agree totally that booze/drugs and guns don't mix! I don't judge people because of their alcohol consumption, but there's a time and place for that(not in the woods toting a firearm)! The creator of that cartoon,the late Johnny Hart was a good friend of my grandfathers. He passed a few years ago, so that cartoon may be a little old(not that it matters). Apparently, the BC stood for Broome County where we hail from and the characters were based on people who he knew.

I don't know ....... I am having a hard time getting offended over this cartoon. I actually think it was kind of funny. But I do understand where some might be irritated at the unfair stereo-type that is being pushed. As everyone has pointed out it does point up an occasional real situation that is all too often a problem within our ranks. And I'll admit it is a little uncomfortable to have our dirty laundry displayed in public.

Doc

Happens with every group Doc....doesn't matter what the group is. There are bad apples and it is really up to us to hold them accountable. Sad you can't drive a car while drinking....can't walk the streets publically intoxicated but can wander the woods with a loaded gun with no problem. Don't get me wrong...I have "celebrated" quite a bit at camp after a successful hunt but never drank and then went out. There has to be some law on the books......has to be...we have enough of them :)

It's no wonder some of the general public thinks most hunters like to combine drinking with the sport. Cartoons like this, plus "Welcome Hunters" banners hanging over lots of bars give that impression.

Exactly ! It gives folks the impression that Hunters are Drinkers and that they drink while they hunt . When I saw the cartoon , it touched a nerve .

I am not offended by this either.  It stereotypes hunters as being drinkers and slobs.  Not like hunting doesn't have its fair share of both.  In every stereotype, be it racial or whatever there is probably a good deal of truth in it.  Some people get offended while others can see the truth in it and can understand the humor.  Heck, its not like this is the first time hunting and drinking has been connected.  It's been a hunter stereotype for LONG time, and it's not like someone just made it up out of the blue!

It sounds like alot of us have dealt with fellow hunters that gave the idea for this cartoon. I know I have heard of camps that do nothing but drink, I stay as far from them as I can..scary thought. It is good to know not every one is like that.

Would it have been better if the cartoon were an insult on Nascar fans?

That reminds me of a few years ago when I noticed a hunter standing over in the state field about 200 feet from my house. I went over to gently remind him of the 500 foot rule regarding discharge of weapons, and almost fell over from the smell of whiskey. I took one look at those bloodshot eyes and listened to the slurred speech and noticed the way he wobbled around just trying to stay upright and my concern changed from his proximity to the house to his ability to safely negotiate his way back to his car as well as what he would do if he ever did find his car. I was beginning to try to figure out how to get this guy some help when he assured me that he had a son that was coming along shortly. As a matter of fact, while we stood there, his son did step out in the field. That is about as drunk as I have ever seen anyone who was still conscious, and it was one scary thing. I had a little safety pep-talk with the son and advised him that this sort of thing could wind up as a pretty terrible tragedy. I also suggested that the son immediately pull the slugs out of his father's shotgun, which he did. There was no point in trying to talk to the father because he didn't even have any idea where he was and what he was doing.

I couldn't help but wonder what could have happened if he had wound up wandering around the water falls and gorge up behind the house.

So yes, just like anything else, we do have participants that cannot or will not lay off the booze, and far too many of them that don't realize the danger of mixing alcohol with hunting.

Doc