Dogs cut ear won't heal.

First-light

Oak has a quarter inch cut at the bottom of his ear from the puppy. Its been a month and I'm still going through trying to get it to heal. I have a cone on his neck so he can't scratch. He still shakes his head and aggravates it. Any suggestions? Headed to Vet tomorrow. Thinking the flap of the ear is so thin it has to be caurterized. 

6 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Cuts on ears bleed a lot and as you found out, they'll open the wound up again and again. One of the guys in my NAVHDA club used to tape a cardboard toilet paper roll to the ear so it wouldn't re open all the time

Wow I just don't know how they wouldn't scratch that off. Thanks for the info! Gorilla tape!

Wish I was home to look what I have.  we use an iodine type treatment that heals cuts quick. My dog opened up her side pretty good last summer. It was shallow but about 2 “ long. We put that stuff on it and 2 days later couldn’t even tell she had been cut. 

• Like 1

I use blu kote,  it's a antiseptic. Liquid skin also, it's pretty good it's like super glue.

10 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Wish I was home to look what I have.  we use an iodine type treatment that heals cuts quick. My dog opened up her side pretty good last summer. It was shallow but about 2 “ long. We put that stuff on it and 2 days later couldn’t even tell she had been cut. 

Good luck at the vet

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, First-light said:

Wow I just don't know how they wouldn't scratch that off. Thanks for the info! Gorilla tape!

Not quite sure either, but his dogs are incredibly well trained. He may have also gone to the vet? I'm not 100 percent sure, but he also mentioned it taking a long time to heal due to the dog reagitating the wound often

11 hours ago, Paula said:

I use blu kote,  it's a antiseptic. Liquid skin also, it's pretty good it's like super glue.

Good luck at the vet

I used the liquid skin for a week or two. It still opened up. I go at 10:00 I'll report back.