ammo and lack of

The guy at sportsman's guide told me over the phone the the ammo suppliers won't ship them any 223 or 556 or 308 ammo. Its really weired and forget about going south for ammo I've been here for about a month and the only ammo on the shelves is eathier 300 mag or 7mm no 223 or plain 22 but u can get 17hmr

Could it be that the ammo producers are taking a lesson from the gas companies and are driving the ammo prices up by manipulating supply? I would hate to think that they might get involved in that sort of thing, but today when it comes to businesses, nothing really surprises me anymore. It could be that the higher prices that they are getting for their products because of the big consumer runs on ammo buying triggered off an idea to make even more per bullet through contrived artificial shortages.

It's not just ammo, it's cleaning kits,holsters, guns you name it. It's so many first time gun owners entering the market. Its guys waking up to whats happening,I have always kept a big supply of ammo on hand, why would'nt you? Who wants to run to the store every time they go shoot ?

If the election of Obama twice, the shortages over the years (like 380 a couple years back )

The rising prices of ammo for years now or just having been a Boy Scout ( be prepared)

Have not tought you to stock up, we'll I'm at a loss then.

Bulk ammo.com has 223 in stock about 30 cases of 500 rounds and 30 of 1,000 rounds, I just sent for 500 rounds of 9mm jhp . Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Edited by Larry302

I was in PA outside Phili, walked in a Walmart and they had one box of 30-06. I scooped it right up. I asked when they getting next shipment, and they had just gotten one and the ammo goes out just as fast as it comes in. IMO I think things will get worse so whatever you see just get it!

The Dick's I was at the other day had all kinds of ammo in stock on the shelves behind the counter and a crap load of shotty shells in front of it.....I was interested in a ladder stand......they had nothing in stock....no stands.A lot of game cams too on sale. Was at the Wilkes Barre location.

Found a ton of ammo at a local shop yesterday; stocked up. Pulled into a gas station on the way home, where a super-hot blonde at the next pump noticed my ammo. "Ammo is really getting hard to find. Would you be interested in a sex-for-ammo trade?" she asked. "I don't know," I replied. "What kind of ammo do you have for trade?"

• Like 6

I just got done checking Midway out online. Looked up a good test item ..... Hornady .22 caliber bullets (bullet , as in the reloading component). They are still listed as out of stock and not on backorder. So, even though the NYS gun-grab is not even in effect yet, they still are making no effort to sell ammo or fill in any shortages. I'm getting the opinion that gun and ammo manufacturers and suppliers are using this crises as an excuse to build up the prices that they can charge. Just like oil companies who have perfected the art of creating shortages and one crises after another, firearms and ammo vendors are building their own crises to serve the same purpose.

Thats the thing though Doc, the retail prices arent up by much. Where you are seeing the super high prices, are from people reselling it. I dont think the manufacturers are doing anything on purpose, they just cant keep up with demand. I know of guys that sit in front of the sporting goods stores every morning, get in there first and by up any and all ammo of certain calibers that has been stocked on the shelf the night before. They then go on different gun sites and sell it at double the price. Alot of them will tell you thats exactly what they are doing. It sucks, but until things calm down a bit, I dont see it changing. Ive been trying for weeks to get ahold of some 22lr at a fair price. It just doesnt seem to exist.

Thats the thing though Doc, the retail prices arent up by much. Where you are seeing the super high prices, are from people reselling it. I dont think the manufacturers are doing anything on purpose, they just cant keep up with demand. I know of guys that sit in front of the sporting goods stores every morning, get in there first and by up any and all ammo of certain calibers that has been stocked on the shelf the night before. They then go on different gun sites and sell it at double the price. Alot of them will tell you thats exactly what they are doing. It sucks, but until things calm down a bit, I dont see it changing. Ive been trying for weeks to get ahold of some 22lr at a fair price. It just doesnt seem to exist.

22LR ammo has more than doubled in some retail locations. The blame? Remington has raised their prices.

Hopefully this will die down soon. Can't find 22LR anywhere, as well as 22mag, 223. I thought I scored some 22LR the other day at Gander. I got halfway to the check out when I realized it was 22LR birdshot. I didn't even know they made 22 birdshot??? WTH. Went to Herb Philipsons this morning and its the same there....nothing. Just some center fire hunting rounds. I did score a nice Buck pocket knife....LOL

I just got 6 boxes (lucky I seen someone I knew there, since they have a 3 box limit.) of 22lr Winchester Copper Plated Hollow Points at Walmart this morning. They also had (until the guy in front of me bought them) .223 Ammo. They also had lots of 9mm ammo in 100 ct and 50 ct. Going back after work to try and get more.

Gander mountain in Plattsburgh was getting a shipment of cci .22 lr while I was there yesterday. No one but me seemed to pay attention to this. I already have enough .22lr to last me a few years or more but I did take notice that they were filling their shelf with it. I have been traveling an hour once a week to see if they have any m&p40 magazines. I can't find one anywhere but eBay but I refuse to pay triple the retail price for one. I have been to every gun shop within a 150 mile radius and gander mountain is the only place claiming to be able to get them.

Edited by noahmstone

It is a fact that short supply and high demand will be reflected in the prices when all this craziness shakes out. Both the manufacturers and the retailers understand that. Neither the retailers or the manufacturers can do anything about the demand, but they sure do have control on the supply side of the equation, should they choose to use it.

I don't understand lack of .22 ammo!

What you need to understand is ..... people are buying the ammo up as soon as it hits the shelves and often paying a high marked up price for it . Also , guys that might normally buy a box of 50 22 cals will buy 2-3 bricks and hoard the ammo .

Another sad fact is that much of that ammo will never even be shot...

People react to these gun control threats in a lot of peculiar ways. Most of the time the reactions aren't the slightest bit rational. A few decades from now, there will be a lot of people with some old green ammo kicking around from closet to closet ..... lol.

I talked to ppl at Gander and Dick's who all told me that they are getting in the same amount of ammo as they always have, but its flying out. They have both recently put limits on purchases because of ( my word not theirs) hoarders. Im sure a lot of people are stocking up to resell at a profit, also.

I spoke to a customer in Dick's a few weeks back and he went on and on about how he went to this gun shop and bought up all the 223 ammo they had, then he went to that gun shop and did the same....on and on. He was all proud of himself... I thought he was just a selfish tool.

Edited by ants

Go take a peek on gunbroker.com, yoll find where the ammo is going. People are buying it up and selling it at sometimes 4 or 5 times the retail price. The sad thing is, all the people panicing are paying those prices, which is driving the people to buy it up and keep the resale prices higher.

As long as we've got Cuomo and his cohorts threatening guns and ammo, and Obama flexing his gun-banning muscle, this panic can go on for one heck of a long time. In fact if these gun-grabbing polititians ever understand how they have paralyzed the purchase of ammo, they may develop a policy of proposing some periodic gun and ammo restrictions every so many months just to keep the panic going indefinitely. They have to be having a real belly-laugh over the situation that gun owners are causing each other. It's too bad that we have some in our ranks that are willingly playing into their hands.

• Like 1