ammo and lack of

Went to the gun show at the Utica Aud today.  Saw one guy had bricks of CCI .22 LR and the sign said "$125 in our shop, show special $99".  The only other bricks I saw had $88 on them and one table had the same .22s for $10/box 50.  Didn't see too many people buying though.  Centerfire ammo was a little high but not crazy high like the rimfire.

This GM store seems to never have anything when I go there.  I dont know if they keep any ammo "out back" so that if someone were to buy a gun, they might be able to buy some ammo with it?!?  I do know their shelves are pitiful at best. The local Walmart is about the same.  Elite Guns in N.Syracuse is rumored to be closing and moving to Texas, so that leaves us folks in the Syracuse area with about nothing.

GM does keep a little ammo out back for people who buy guns, but not all the time. They get ammo in on Wed. mornings but they never know what they're getting. I finally scored some 357mag. this past Wed. 125gr SJSP for around $30. They also had a lot of 40, 45 auto, 9mm and bricks of 22lr but the 22's  went fast.

Latest rumor on Elite is that the went to Texas to check it out and found a lot of restrictions that wouldn't make it worth them moving so they are staying put.

• Reuters

Online rumors about a big government munitions purchase are true, sort of. 

The Homeland Security Department wants to buy more than 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition in the next four or five years. It says it needs them -- roughly the equivalent of five bullets for every person in the United States -- for law enforcement agents in training and on duty. 

Published federal notices about the ammo buy have agitated conspiracy theorists since the fall. That's when conservative radio host Alex Jones spoke of an "arms race against the American people" and said the government was "gearing up for total collapse, they're gearing up for huge wars." 

The government's explanation is much less sinister. 

Federal solicitations to buy the bullets are known as "strategic sourcing contracts," which help the government get a low price for a big purchase, says Peggy Dixon, spokeswoman for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Ga . The training center and others like it run by the Homeland Security Department use as many as 15 million rounds every year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises. 

Dixon said one of the contracts would allow Homeland Security to buy up to 750 million rounds of ammunition over the next five years for its training facilities. The rounds are used for basic and advanced law enforcement training for federal law enforcement agencies under the department's umbrella. The facilities also offer firearms training to tens of thousands of federal law enforcement officers. More than 90 federal agencies and 70,000 agents and officers used the department's training center last year. 

The rest of the 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition would be purchased by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal government's second largest criminal investigative agency. 

ICE's ammunition requests in the last year included: 

--450 million rounds of .40-caliber duty ammunition 

--40 million rounds of rifle ammunition a year for as many as five years, for a total bullet-buy of 200 million rounds 

--176,000 rifle rounds on a separate contract 

--25,000 blank rounds 

The Homeland Security ammo buy is not the first time the government's bullets purchases have sparked concerns on the Internet. The same thing happened last year when the Social Security Administration posted a notice that it was buying 174,000 hollow point bullets. 

Jonathan L. Lasher, the agency's assistant inspector general for external relations, said those bullets were for the Social Security inspector general's office, which has about 295 agents who investigate Social Security fraud and other crimes. 

Jones the talk-show host did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

I’m sitting on 2 bricks of 22lr ammo I shoot sport rifle. I would like to go out and shoot but I want to make sure I have ammo when the season starts. I am also buying  slugs and steel shot now so I have it for duck and deer season, I reload rifle and hand gun ammo and can reload for about 2 years before I run out of components.

I've been cruising the net to find some .22 lr and sportsmansguide, cabelas, bass pro , cheaper than dirt.com etc ... Are all out of stock! Did find a few sites that have them but for REDICULOUS prices... 555 rnd for 100$ , 1000 rnd for 1100$ , 5000 rnd for 3000$ ... Since when did a dinky little round become cost comparative to a 30-06... Used to go to Walmart n get a box of 555 for 18$ .. Hell, if I'd known this crap was gonna happen I would have bought 8 or 9 boxes a 555 back in Florida before I moved up here... Gander doesn't even have an empty shelf where small game ammo would even go... Hopefully I can scrounge something up before squirrel season comes this year... Not to mention a couple boxes a 30-06 for gun season... Might have to be forced to hunt with the twelve gauge cause slugs are easy to find on the shelves... Or may just hunt with the bow all year... Who knows...

Last Wednesday I was in Gander Mountain for another reason and I saw Remington Thunderbolts for $2.49 a box of 50. They would only let me have 2 boxes but it gave me something to shoot on Saturday.

The store down by my camp had thunderbolts fir 6.49 for a box of 50. I had a old brick of thunderbolts at camp that I bought at the same store. They where 17.99

Here's an update from my end.... I've managed to find all I need to shoot that's been in short supply for 9mm, 22LR, and 223.  I've got most (600 of 750 rounds) of the 9mm from Dick's Sporting Goods.  then 900 of 1425 rounds of 22LR from Dick's Sporting Goods.  The remainder of that is from local gun shops.  Also 223 Rem I had around 130ish rounds of 223 left.  Then picked up 60 rounds of Hornady Superperformance 53gr Vmax to try in my varmint rifle from Dick's Sporting Goods.  I usually only shoot factory Black Hills loaded with Hornady 60gr vmax loads from that gun.  Well Midway contacted me last week when they got some of that finally in stock.  So they sent me the policy max of 2 50 round boxes of that.  That was the blue box stuff too so it was $33.89 per 50 rounds which isn't bad.  So that makes close to 300 rounds of 223 which should be good for a couple summers at most worth of woodchucks on the family farm.

shotgun and deer rifle (30-06) rounds are just out there and I had plenty of that before.

stuff is coming in you just have to pay attention and mainly be patient.

you can't cruise the net to find this stuff.  got to show up in the stores or make phone calls.  otherwise you're competing to get ammo with everyone is looking and can go online.  if you do see it online it's gone in less than an hour or you're paying waaayyyyy too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever wonder how this stupid situation is affecting youth shooting programs such as 4H camps, scouts, FFA activities, gun club youth shooting activities and other youth organizations that feature shooting programs. These hoarders and scalpers think it is only fellow gun owners that they are screwing, but it goes much farther than that.

• Like 2

you can't cruise the net to find this stuff.  got to show up in the stores or make phone calls.  otherwise you're competing to get ammo with everyone is looking and can go online.  if you do see it online it's gone in less than an hour or you're paying waaayyyyy too much.

I have to disagree, got tired of driving to gunshops only to find nothing....someone told me about GunBot.com and I found what I needed within two days at Cabela's at the pre ammo frenzy price.

I have to disagree, got tired of driving to gunshops only to find nothing....someone told me about GunBot.com and I found what I needed within two days at Cabela's at the pre ammo frenzy price.

I would suggest that until things change a bit, it would always be a good idea to phone ahead and check on availability before hopping in the car. This fiasco is by no means over with. And by the way, a phone call with mail-order outfits to check availability may save you a lot of waiting on back-orders and such. Don't just fill out the order blank and mail it in. You may be in for a long wait .... lol.

I would suggest that until things change a bit, it would always be a good idea to phone ahead and check on availability before hopping in the car. This fiasco is by no means over with. And by the way, a phone call with mail-order outfits to check availability may save you a lot of waiting on back-orders and such. Don't just fill out the order blank and mail it in. You may be in for a long wait .... lol.

and if they say they have it, it may be gone when you get there....with that website it was real time availalilty, no back ordering needed.

i was posting based on my personal experience.  i got notifications from Midway and that's the only ammo i bought online.  the rest of it in person.  you aren't driving around all the time.  you show up when it's convenient and in some times phone calls help.  i got all i need.  i've stopped looking.  multiple times i've talked to individuals behind the counter and once they've figured out i wasn't just buying it to buy it and hoard it away.... "the last box" would show up.

you just have to make an effort, roll with the situation, and be patient.