Supreme Court ruling NYS

Hmmm, I want to see the ramifications before we dance in the street…..So what’s to say the state doesn’t pass a law of necessity just like the safe act the all pistol permits require a 100 hrs training? Other possible requirements?

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, noted the limits of the decision. States can still require people to get a license to carry a gun, Kavanaugh wrote, and condition that license on “fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.”

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Hmmm, I want to see the ramifications before we dance in the street…..So what’s to say the state doesn’t pass a law of necessity just like the safe act the all pistol permits require a 100 hrs training? Other possible requirements?

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, noted the limits of the decision. States can still require people to get a license to carry a gun, Kavanaugh wrote, and condition that license on “fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.”

or laws banning the carrying of firearms in “sensitive locations” like schools and government buildings

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here will be vastly expanded. 

Edited by rob-c

5 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Our Governor is calling an emergency legislative session of sort to discuss this "outrageous" decision.

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I'll take a stab at what our NYS Governor will do in response.  Red flag laws far more unconstitutional than any that would be at the Federal level.  They will be so vague and liberal to justify suspension/revocation of the permits for and by any complainant.  Based on the limit by SCOTUS, add a mental health evaluation by state psychiatrists (who are anti-2A), training that is only given by designated personnel with very limited classes and attendance capacity, testing on the laws that are at the level of the bar, etc etc etc AND makes these expire and have to be redone on some schedule. Appreciate that these are all NEW unconstitutional limits on 2A that will take decades to get to SCOTUS for reversal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once SCOTUS took the case, NY knew the likely outcome and has planned for months how to respond. I am fairly certain the response is NOT going to be a mass mailing of unrestricted carry licenses to all current sportsman license holders.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

NY is going to do everything in it's power to restrict the approval of all CCW permits.  All this SCOTUS decision does is force them to be more creative in how they do it.  Democrats hate guns and their responses to this ruling prove they hate the SCOTUS and the Constitution.  They have no respect for the Rule of Law or individual rights.  Study the history of gun restrictions and a SCOTUS ruling against Washington DC's anti gun laws to get an idea what we are in for.

Yes, this is a win for the citizens of NY State, but the prize will not be awarded anytime soon.  Get ready for millions and millions of your tax dollars being spent to deny you any relief from NY State's firearm oppression.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

What should sportsman response be? Should sportsman all apply for a Conceal carry permit in support of this ruling? I don't have any interest in carrying (or any real interest in guns to be honest) but fully support all citizens right to their freedom to own and carry and would apply and encourage any sportsman I know to apply if that's the best course to counteract the Dems counteraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If anyone has read through that whole ruling, you would have seen that the SCOTUS stated that the ruling shall not be infringed upon. Meaning, if the anti-gun idiots decide to try and screw around and pull some shady shit, they may find themselves in deep water with no PFD. I personally hope they do try some dirty deeds, it will show just how crooked they really are and will only reinforce and allow a better foothold for the Pro 2A people. Hochul and the left minions were just given notice that the SCOTUS isn't going to tolerate the Anti 2A movement anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rob-c said:

or laws banning the carrying of firearms in “sensitive locations” like schools and government buildings

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here will be vastly expanded. 

In reading over the document it appears to me that they were anticipating the state trying to work around this by expanding "sensitive places" and they made it clear that the state cannot just blanket declare public spaces as "sensitive"

Screenshot_20220623-111532_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-111549_Drive.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, josephmrtn said:

In reading over the document it appears to me that they were anticipating the state trying to work around this by expanding "sensitive places" and they made it clear that the state cannot just blanket declare public spaces as "sensitive"

"Sensitive places" AKA soft targets....

1 hour ago, josephmrtn said:

They are anticipating some grimy actions. This is going to be an interesting few months, not just here in NY, but in a few other states where this is going to have an effect on their extremely tight laws. This was a door that wasn't simply put ajar, it was kicked off the hinges.

The left been kicking gun owners around for a very long time, this time someone kicked back.

• Like 1

There better be some updated permits going out in the mail. If the state can erase thousands of weed related charges from records after legalization, then they shall issue proper permits to those who were screwed in the first place!!!! What i love about this victory is it encompasses the country not just out state. 
They won't. Uou have to pay to produce the permit card.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Correct and im sure most if not all people wouldn’t mind paying. 
I've come to an easy solution. Buy new gun and request they also print new card removing restrictions. Kill two birds with one stone for those that don't have unrestricted.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

To save time and $, the Licensing Bureau or authority having jurisdiction can post a notice on their website with simple instructions to holders of Sportman licenses.
"Take a black sharpie and blot out the word sportsman on the face of the license, then turn the license over and blot out the comments. Your sportsman's is now unrestricted."

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1