Seneca / Cayuga Lakes ?

GreeneHunter

Just came home from a quick trip to Belhurst Castle - Geneva on the shores of Seneca Lake . We did an evening cruise on the lake and never spotted one boat doing any fishing and maybe just two Pontoon boats .  Anyone ever fish there ?  I'm thinking maybe Gas Prices are keeping people from going fishing but that would be hard to swallow ! Supposedly its over 600 ft. deep , there has to be some slammers in there !  Thoughts ?

On 6/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, GreeneHunter said:

Just came home from a quick trip to Belhurst Castle - Geneva on the shores of Seneca Lake . We did an evening cruise on the lake and never spotted one boat doing any fishing and maybe just two Pontoon boats .  Anyone ever fish there ?  I'm thinking maybe Gas Prices are keeping people from going fishing but that would be hard to swallow ! Supposedly its over 600 ft. deep , there has to be some slammers in there !  Thoughts ?

Seneca was an awesome fishery for many, many years, both for trout/landlocks and warm water species such as smallmouths and  jumbo yellow perch and lots of northern pike...

For some reason the fishing has declined  in Seneca over the last few years...I have friends who have homes on Seneca that now trailer thier boats to Cayuga...Cayuga is currently the hot lake, both for salmonoids and for bass, perch and panfish...

Especially Seneca lake, considering how huge it is, has pretty limited access. As much area as it covers, it keeps the boats spread out so they arent as visible. I dont think there are any where near as many resident fisherman there as there used to be.

Heard similar about Seneca fishery going downhill. It is a much larger lakes comparatively thus bots spread out makes sense. But Cayuga has been known to be the best for the past few years. The new SR won't help it see any less pressure.