Ireland

fasteddie

Since none of our 5 children decided to do anything for our 60th wedding anniversary which is June 30 , we decided to spend some of their inheritance . We signed up to go on a 13 day tour of Ireland . That will take place in September and get us back a week before Bow Season opens . 

• Like 23

Fantastic!!!
I hope you are passing through Gallway. My wife still has family there and her grandfather was the lead on the cathedral's renovation many moons ago.
Every day I would eat a full Irish breakfast with a pint or two of Guinness- that would hold me through until about 4:00 where we hit the nearest pub for soup and brown bread and a few pints. Then it was street food - fish and chips and more after more pub time. The one sit down "fancy" meal left us wanting pub food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Since none of our 5 children decided to do anything for our 60th wedding anniversary which is June 30 , we decided to spend some of their inheritance . We signed up to go on a 13 day tour of Ireland . That will take place in September and get us back a week before Bow Season opens . 

Kids……..meh. 

• Like 2

We intended to do a tour earlier but Covid put a stop to that . WE go Shannon Airport , Limerick, Clifden, Sligo, Belfast, Dublin, Waterford, Kinsale, Killarney and back to Limerick . The tour pretty much circles the Island . Full Irish breakfast every day and 6 3 course meals . 

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Kids……..meh. 

Yaa; what’s up with that?

Sent my parents to Alaska on their 50th, cruise, tour, some time in Seattle. My cheap brother tried to glom on by volunteering to watch the house; he didn’t even know it was their 50th. Kids suck.

My dad hated the idea, never stopped talking about it after.

Have fun in Ireland! Sounds terrific…..

• Like 1

Beautiful country. I fly fish because of something a ghillie said to me there. 

By happenstance, my wife and I found ourselves staying at a very famous salmon lodge in Connemara some years ago. They just happened to have an available  room that night. As I found out, anglers would fly in from all over the world to fish there.

I grew up in a Canadian steel town and fly fishing was something done by rich white guys in Connecticut. It just wasn't part of my world. 

As I sat around the communal dinner table at the lodge, listening to the fishing stories, I grew more intrigued with each tale and thought that maybe this was something I could do.

The next morning as we were leaving, I saw one of the ghillies preparing the rods for the day. I approached and asked him a question:

"Why do you fly fish."

Being an old Irish guy he was going to give me an old Irish guy answer. After a moment, he replied.

"Well, there are two things that I know are coming in life, but I don't know when. The first is the strike of a salmon and the second is death. And to tell the truth, lad, I really like the anticipation of both those things."

I bought my first fly rod three days later.

Eddie, that's a lot of trip you have there in 13 days. And a lot of breakfasts. I found that after the third Irish breakfast, I was done for the rest of the trip.

I may be there in Sept as well, so I'll wave from the river.

In that case I will wear my "Hunting NY" shirt so you can spot me . 

Showoff!!!
We also had a blast on the Aran Islands- except I lost my credit cards!
I still have a sweater from there (20+ years old!)
One of my wife's aunt's friend took me pike fishing - trolling swim baits. So boring except for his stories which everyone has there!
The family bar was something I found fascinating. Since their houses are so small, they never have friends over but instead meet them at their family bar. Babies, kids, teenagers and adults all just hanging out and telling stories and listening to music and playing cards like it's their living room. So fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family owns a pub, no surprise there, outside of Waterford. One piece of advice. If your renting a car your brain will freak out for the first few minutes. It’s opposite of everything we do here, right side steering wheel to left side of road. Just drive carefully.

4AD2C04F-6CC1-4ACC-814F-570F23195ABC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ANTLERS said:

My family owns a pub, no surprise there, outside of Waterford. One piece of advice. If your renting a car your brain will freak out for the first few minutes. It’s opposite of everything we do here, right side steering wheel to left side of road. Just drive carefully.

4AD2C04F-6CC1-4ACC-814F-570F23195ABC.jpeg

Make it real fun .... get a stick shift !!!

And you never seen such narrow roads. They cut the hedge right up to the road. 

When we returned our car, the lot was lined with cars with broken passenger side mirrors. 

Fortunately, the gears on the stick and the pedals are in the same configuration as here.   

Anyway, I think Eddie is on a bus tour, so leaving the driving to someone else  

Edited by left field