EspressoBuzz

This may have been discussed before, It can certainly use updating.

With the power and sophistication of the new breed of smartphones, GPS', Tablets and Home PCs there has never been a time with so many tools available to hunters and fisherman of all types. I'd like to know what if any of these tools you're using and how. I'll start off with Devices and Apps I'm using or testing.

On my PC Google Earth and the KMZ files available from the NYSDEC have been an amazing source of information. All of which can be accessed on most smartphones.

I have the Galaxy S2 (samsung) loaded with these apps, ALL ARE FREE, I aint paying for nuttin i aint tried out before.

ActInNature Hunting - ActInNature Company ApS

Backitude for Google Latitude - DownWind Development

Cabela's Recon Fish -Trimble Navigation

Coyote Sounds - PhotoBeat

Coyote Hunting Calls - Pico Brothers

Crow Calls - Clandestine Research

Coyote Hunting Calls - Dexati

Favorite Animal Calls - Favorite Android

Hunting Calls - Clandestine Research

KMLZ to Earth - WrightRocket

Maps - Google Inc.

Hunting Calls Pro - LexApps

Mil Dot Calculator - Free - What I Feel Like Programming

Predator Calls - Clandestine Research

MoonShine Free - Bad Daddy

Mossy Oak Hunting Weather App - HuntLogix

Runtastic Altimeter - runtastic

Sonic Turkey Lite - Bad Daddy

Strelok. Ballistic calculator - Igor Borisov

SkEye | Astronomy - Harshad RJ

Smart Compass - Smart Tools co.

Virginia Tech Tree ID - Bob Potts

Turkey Hunting Calls - Pico Brothers

As you can see i'm trying out quite a few so load up try em out and lets post some feed back.

Thanks

Buzz

Edited by EspressoBuzz

I do like the aspect of getting away. That said, I am a huge proponent of implementing technology for hunting. Especially proper game camera use and internet scdouting. Layering topos and aerials alogn with wind and weather information narrows down my scouting. I like being able to be here, look at info for Ohio, go there, and find out I am right on the money for where I need to be,

I do prefer to sit and hunt as much as possible, but texting often comes into play as its hard to get away for any length of time now. I do however, "happen" to leave my phone at the truck once in a while.

Warning:

Coyote Sounds - PhotoBeat is trash, it installs a shortcut for something different every time you start it.

DELETED!

Testing continues...

I'm with you guys when it comes to technology in the field, I'll set the phone to reject all calls and texts except from those hunting with me. Knowing how to do that is a help and many aren't aware you can do that with the new breed of phones. Tell us how you use technology when you do use it or have no choice but to use it (wink). For example, when scouting new places Google Earth's 3d modelling is a real help to find hallows and pine thickets. I have a lot of game call apps, i prefer mouth or hand calls over electronic calls but at least they are examples of calls i can learn from and imitate.

For any one with a Nikon scope. Try out the app from Nikon Spot on. I have used it on my computer to help me with the BDC reticles. You enter all the info it asks for. gun type scope type brand and model of ammunition and velocity it even has a section for those who reload. then once all in entered it will give you the approximate distances for each bdc reticle based on ammo and such. I have not tried the smartphone app yet as it costs about$4.99 ( I am cheap) but the free version for the computer works as well

• Like 1

I am currently giving ActInNature Hunting - ActInNature Company ApS the workout. I am using the free version and if i am impressed enough after all the testing I may buy it, The radar map of your immediate area is pretty cool. Unfortunately my test with other hunters is going to be limited. Anyone interested please try it out and lets get some feed back going. We can vett these pretty quickly and have another tool at our disposal. I'll be out for fox at Otis Pike in Suffolk giving some of them a try.

Thanks!

I wont have electronics with me in the field. It distracts from what I am doing. Hunting. On the otherside, I do love my lunar calendar and sunrise sunset apps on my tablet, which help me plan my time. I have made use of satellite photogrophy to eyeball areas from above, more to look for hidden roads, builldings and ridges.

When I am in the woods, If it has a battery, it can and will fail.

• 2 weeks later...

I also am rebelling against high-tech hunting. I've already gone too far in that direction with the super bow that I bought almost 20 years ago ..... lol. But seriously, I want my success or failure to rely more on what I can do than what I can buy. I would just as soon get these electro-tech wizards out of my hunting.

• Like 1