Deer or Beaver Damage?

ridgerunner88

15 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Wow, thats cool. Good to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some look like buck rubs, and some of the ones on bigger trees look like flood damage.....Are they on the upstream side of the trees  ??...

• Like 1

Some look like buck rubs, and some of the ones on bigger trees look like flood damage.....Are they on the upstream side of the trees  ??...

Yes and the trees that were laying down were facing downstream… how would a flood cause that type of damage?

2 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Yes and the trees that were laying down were facing downstream… how would a flood cause that type of damage?

Other floating debris run agains the still standing brush/trees.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

It comes from flotsam ( especially ice chunks)  flowing down the stream in high water conditions..

• Like 1

Its an interesting area.. due to topography there is only one way in and out.. i found that trail… didnt find any beds or many tracks… may throw a camera looking at that trail to see if another/same buck goes back there this fall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Its an interesting area.. due to topography there is only one way in and out.. i found that trail… didnt find any beds or many tracks… may throw a camera looking at that trail to see if another/same buck goes back there this fall

Looks like everybody nailed the descriptions. I definitely would pur a camera or 2 up. Oxbow can be sweet setups. I know of a few that are prime buck bedding territory.. Carefull going in during the season,  no matter what the river looks like they will cross it in a second.  I've driven more nice bucks out of oxbows than I've ever shot. Live and learn. .lol

• Like 1

Looks like everybody nailed the descriptions. I definitely would pur a camera or 2 up. Oxbow can be sweet setups. I know of a few that are prime buck bedding territory.. Carefull going in during the season,  no matter what the river looks like they will cross it in a second.  I've driven more nice bucks out of oxbows than I've ever shot. Live and learn. .lol

Thanks everyone for the insight.

I have heard oxbows can be a challenge. I will put a camera up and if some guys show up then I get the chance to attempt a high degree of difficulty hunt. Will be fun to try, successful or not!

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

X2 on the porcupine on the shredded ones and very possible if near a river some high water damage. They don't make me think rubs. Lots of porcupine around these days.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I just saw my first ever this past week in alexandria bay. I couldn't believe how big it was it had to be 30- 35 lbs. I was making sure dog wasn't near it so I couldn't snap a photo.

53 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Thanks everyone for the insight.

I have heard oxbows can be a challenge. I will put a camera up and if some guys show up then I get the chance to attempt a high degree of difficulty hunt. Will be fun to try, successful or not!

I've found the trail entering and exiting the oxbows, the best way to hunt the bucks hiding in there. Use prevailing wind to your advantage. If set up right, they won't know you're hunting them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...