Velvet bucks 2022

Swamp_bucks

3 hours ago, BizCT said:

Are you still using minerals? I just tried 50lbs whole corn for first time (CT, legal). Problem is a few does eat it for 2 hours at a time. A 10pt did come in a couple of times.

Minerals in summer yes. We only have two feeders and only one that we move a lot of corn through. I think I hunted “over” it twice and my partner twice. Boring sits. For the Stump we’ve just emptied partial bags on it. Black Magic powder, some of the loose granule trophy rock, and I think some Big and J powder mineral. All partial bags on whatever we had or bought on clearance. I won’t pay full money for that stuff lol. 

We have one Amish neighbor who is Cornholio the great. Hub blind, bucket and a 50lb bag of corn on the ground every single day from Sept to Jan. Pile is 10 feet from our fence line.

I came close to connecting on a buck last year over a loose pile of corn. Interesting spot next to the farm driveway that had a bowl in it. I was 15 feet in a stand but was eye level with the driveway about 60 yards behind. Bucks were working a fence line to the edge of the bowl moving between two wood lots. I tossed corn out there since it was close to driveway and easy to set a cam and it ended up being one of the best spots all season for bucks in daylight. I suspect it’s an overlooked place based on what you see there but the map shows it to be the likely point bucks move between the lots. I figured bucks would show at night there but they were moving all hours. Hoping the trend is the same this year as I’ll be ready.

Minerals in summer yes. We only have two feeders and only one that we move a lot of corn through. I think I hunted “over” it twice and my partner twice. Boring sits. For the Stump we’ve just emptied partial bags on it. Black Magic powder, some of the loose granule trophy rock, and I think some Big and J powder mineral. All partial bags on whatever we had or bought on clearance. I won’t pay full money for that stuff lol. 
We have one Amish neighbor who is Cornholio the great. Hub blind, bucket and a 50lb bag of corn on the ground every single day from Sept to Jan. Pile is 10 feet from our fence line.
I came close to connecting on a buck last year over a loose pile of corn. Interesting spot next to the farm driveway that had a bowl in it. I was 15 feet in a stand but was eye level with the driveway about 60 yards behind. Bucks were working a fence line to the edge of the bowl moving between two wood lots. I tossed corn out there since it was close to driveway and easy to set a cam and it ended up being one of the best spots all season for bucks in daylight. I suspect it’s an overlooked place based on what you see there but the map shows it to be the likely point bucks move between the lots. I figured bucks would show at night there but they were moving all hours. Hoping the trend is the same this year as I’ll be ready.

Nice yea I carried a 50lb bag of corn in once so far. But it’s a steep cliff so not something I’m going to do often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those of you who get big bucks on cam during the summer frequently year after year.  How much growth can the average buck gain from now until they are hard horned?

I’ve always heard mature bucks can grow 1.5 inches per beam/tine per week but that slows quickly. If you don’t see those bulbs on the end in august they are near done

• Like 1

I’ve always heard mature bucks can grow 1.5 inches per beam/tine per week but that slows quickly. If you don’t see those bulbs on the end in august they are near done

Here is a good article on the antler growth process.

https://www.msudeer.msstate.edu/growth-cycle.php#:~:text=The%20annual%20casting%20and%20growth,(Jacobson%20and%20Griffin%201983).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

For those of you who get big bucks on cam during the summer frequently year after year.  How much growth can the average buck gain from now until they are hard horned?

I have a buck in my yard that is done already but as a rule around these parts there pretty much done by end of july. Just look at bulbs , if the bulbs are gone and evened out there done like dinner. However I did see one last year that wasnt done till mid aug but that is rare 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So went driving and saw an absolute beast of a buck caught it walking away at 80yrds.  Put up my Binos on him and watched him for awhile. I don’t remember the last time I saw a buck that big.  18-20” wide g2s 8-10” kickers at the base coke can bases just a beast. Also found 2 other shooters in that area I didn’t know existed.  So I’m ready for the chess match this fall. Sorry for crappy photo.

752963D4-BCB9-4938-BC40-D8ADCD6A1265.png

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 3