First Job ?

GreeneHunter

Just a general BS topic .... What was your first job ?  I worked in a Deli ( NYC ) after school in the 7th and 8th grade , pay was $ 10 first year and $ 12 second year . Went home with a Sub everyday and a bag of chips ! Thought I had the world by the short hairs !

• Like 1

I hoed the weeds out of strawberry patches and picked apples at an orchard when between 12-16 years old. Also putting up hay for local farmers. When I turned 16 and became legal working age, I worked at McDonalds for a year, then at the sawmill and pallet factory through community college. Outside of the first 2 weeks we were in New York, I don’t think there’s been a time since I was 16 that I wasn’t working somewhere. 

I mowed lawns and weeded when I was 13 . At 14 I worked in a Market Basket Store doing various jobs . The I worked at Kelley Brother's Nursery in Dansville for 2 summers . I had to hitchhike both ways (13 miles and I walked almost half each way ) . Left home 2-3 hours early . After I graduated ,( the summer before leaving for USMC Bootcamp ) I worked at a small grocery store in Dansville . After one week , the owner gave me the key to the store and said to open up the store in the am . He told me how to pay the bills when deliveries were made . I always had a summer job .

I had a great first job  when I was 13.

Was groundskeeper for a little league. 4 boys 60’ diamonds, 3 60’ softball and one 90’ baseball diamond.Paid really well for a school kid. It was everyday after school, early on saturday’s and sunday morning to clean up the mess from the all day saturday games.

Did it through high school when my gym teacher took the job at the end of my junior year thinking he could coast a day or two a week and make a couple grand for the summer. Then he hired me to help, and when he expected me to do everything, I quit. He was pissed.

But to his credit; the following school year he apologized for stealing the job(it was promised to me originally that summer); and admitted it was way more then he thought for workload and complimented me for working that hard when I did it.

Now here’s more of the story…..I grew up in a non hunting house and not much exposure anything hunting related.  During gym class, we did an archery course for a few weeks using recurves, even  hand an indoor range set up. That teacher was a big bow hunter, and I was one of the better shots in the class, so he let me shoot his compound. That experience, and having a co worker take me trap shooting; started me hunting in my mid 20’s. I’ll always remember him talking about hunting with his bow.

I have no idea if he’s still alive; he’d be in his late 70’s now I’d guess. But he was from Buffalo area, I think west seneca/orchard park. So if anyone here knows Ron Tater, physical education teacher at Sweet Home High School in early 80’s….tell him Ive hunted all over the world, and he’s partially to blame. LOL

• Like 1

Mowed neighbors lawns with a push mower, soon after I was big enough to do ours...eight or ten probably. When twelve I got a newspaper morning route. Usually up at 4:30 to deliver papers no matter the weather, on foot if I couldnt ride my bike. To this day I am still iup at first light.. In high school I started working for a neighbor doing light construction site job chores, then finish carpentry until after graduation.

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I have no idea if he’s still alive; he’d be in his late 70’s now I’d guess. But he was from Buffalo area, I think west seneca/orchard park. So if anyone here knows Ron Tater, physical education teacher at Sweet Home High School in early 80’s….tell him Ive hunted all over the world, and he’s partially to blame. LOL

I remember he was the wrestling coach for sweet home. I knew of him, but not on a personal level.

Edited by kpkot
  • Like 1

I grew up in a town that had “Rent A Kid”where you would sign up for summer jobs at the town hall. One homeowner hired me to shovel rocks into a wheelbarrow and move them to a different location in his yard. A lady next door took pity on me and brought over a pitcher of lemonade for me to have. I remember it was hotter than Hell and never forgot her kindness. I must have been around 12 but never forgot it. Lol

I was almost ten when I started working at the farm at the end of our road. At twelve, I  started to help putting in hay for three other local farmers. Those four farmers were all friends, and big into deer hunting. They took a fatherless kid under their wing, and got me started hunting. Those men are all gone now. But their lessons of life, and hunting have never left me.

• Like 6

1st job off our small farm was for a local farmer @ 13 years old.

Picking stones in the spring and haying . I remember working 60 hrs @$3/ and feeling rich..

Had a paper route in the fall for a couple years as soon as I got my working papers. I would ride my bike the 8 miles to school so I could do it after school. 35+ yrs later I still remember the rte. lol... especially the one sorority house.. ;)

First time I made money I sold vegetables off the tailgate of my Dad's truck at camp. Bought corn for .47 a dozen and sold it for $1.50 a dozen at like 13. Then some under the table here and there.

First real job right after school was working for the DOT. I got lucky and put my app in and guy there told me I would never get it cause I didn't have a political recommendation. A month and a half later got a call for the job. He said this has never happened that they had no people recommended. So at 18 I got a job in the snow and ice crew. As I was the only one that still put in the application anyway.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

started working haying at age 10, then mowed lawns starting at age 12 (through high school). Worked maintenace during high school, then blacktopping after that. military for 2 years. Logging briefly, then forestry work. Tended bar a couple of places. 

From age 14 till I retired I was only "unemployed" for 2 weeks, and that was after getting out of the service and before college. Still did forestry and related work for about 10 years after official retirement.