Finding " This" At One Of Your Fav Hunting Areas. Let the Other Guy Hunt Unimpeded From Now On??

Well- there really are no secrets on great Public Land Areas anymore.  There is an Army of Scouters with equal knowledge  as far as the Turkeys go.

So what happens  when " on Public Land" you are Scouting and see a Trail Camera where you have Taken last year's  Spring Gobbler? 

Bait Camera or not-- another Camera must be up High and close by to record the Bucks in the area. You know by August- a Deer Stand will be here.

So- off Season as it is now and time to reflect- do you " cede" this area to your unknown  competition as you are thinking- elusive Fall Gobblers and he is thinking-- Buck. 

Or- Stick to your hard won Intel by finding this area and continued plans to hunt this area. 

I say- first come- first served. Despite what shows up - Trail Camera" for your competitors Intel and as a Deterrent  for Scouters wise enough to find this " Honey Hole".

The above scenario is getting more common on Public Ground. All of us seem to be Scouting experts now in what we are looking for. 

Whoever ambles in to the area first has claim to it,I say.

What say you??

20210404_091916.jpg

From my experience, I would hunt it anyways. Chances are you won't run into them.

Pretty much all of my favorite spots at Letchworth have treestands within sight. One guy even put his 10yds from mine.. I've rarely seen a person while hunting them though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

From my experience, I would hunt it anyways. Chances are you won't run into them.

Pretty much all of my favorite spots at Letchworth have treestands within sight. One guy even put his 10yds from mine.. I've rarely seen a person while hunting them though.

When,I was a member of Monroe- Chester Sportsman's  Club,I would see ,I believe 4 Treestands in a flat bottom between 2 gentle slopping  opposite  Ridges. No more then 100 feet apart or so.

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

I have found over the years that the longer the rope, the less the company. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

I have found over the years that the longer the rope, the less the company. 

Lol. True. Even though at one of my favorite spots I found somebody else's long rope when I was struggling to get back out. :)

• Haha 1

that's a cell camera and unlikely a bait camera. It's also highly unlikely it's for turkey, so I don't see how it would affect you and turkey. Hunt it how you always would. Public land is first come first serve and if you're sitting by a tree nearby and see a light bobbing through the woods, just flash yours at him. This is what I did on public land when I hunted it. That's the downfall of "free" land. It's not just yours and it's not just his. Just don't be a dick and tamper with it and I'm surprised it doesn't look locked. 

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's a cell camera and unlikely a bait camera. It's also highly unlikely it's for turkey, so I don't see how it would affect you and turkey. Hunt it how you always would. Public land is first come first serve and if you're sitting by a tree nearby and see a light bobbing through the woods, just flash yours at him. This is what I did on public land when I hunted it. That's the downfall of "free" land. It's not just yours and it's not just his. Just don't be a dick and tamper with it and I'm surprised it doesn't look locked. 

See my comment above to Dan. Of course,I am there first and Hunting.

Remember  also that some hunters like me " also" are Fanatical about Fall Turkeys.  Therein lies the possible competition. 

Just an off Season Topic to pick at some is all.

As far as any tampering with Cameras,I have no time for it. 

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

See my comment above to Dan. Of course,I am there first and Hunting.

Remember  also that some hunters like me " also" are Fanatical about Fall Turkeys.  Therein lies the possible competition. 

Just an off Season Topic to pick at some is all.

As far as any tampering with Cameras,I have no time for it. 

do you use cameras for fall turkey? I ran cams for the first time this year for spring turkey and they're borderline useless for birds

1 hour ago, Belo said:

do you use cameras for fall turkey? I ran cams for the first time this year for spring turkey and they're borderline useless for birds

No. Just the old fashioned  way- Boots on the Ground for intel.

23 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

No. Just the old fashioned  way- Boots on the Ground for intel.

so i guess that was my point. It's 90% likely to be a deer hunter and not a competing bird chaser. 

The only first come first serve rule on public is the day you are there. Nobody can lay claim to an area by putting up a cam or a stand. If I want to hunt there I will,but only if the other hunter is not there that day.

That being said,pressure during bow season here is low on public land and I would more than likely sit somewhere else.

• Like 1

I wouldn't set up in front of the camera, but I would still hunt in that area. Why wouldn't I? I would not mess with the camera, but I wouldn't hunt in that area. I might be inclined to make funny faces into the cam though.

If the camera bothers you, just karate chop the tree down, Bill.

Write a note with your number on it. Write something like I've been here a number of years its a nice spot. Seems you like it too. Call me so we won't ruins each others hunt. I'll be hunting this area also. Just my thought if you like it so much. 

Id only worry about the person hunting it enough to bump birds out of area. Even if he does so unintentional.  Your hot spot may not be so hot if that happens.  

Otherwise 1st come 1st serve.

Just an off Season Topic guys. I have probably  over 20 or so Hot Spots at the very least. 

Both Cynthia and,I have taken 1 Gobbler apiece right near where that camera is.

In 3 Springs She has taken 3 Gobblers.