Anyone make knives or customize them?

Lost my 40 year old Buck folding knife last year.

While looking around for a replacement, ran into some customized ones.

Very neat, $$$ - but neat all the same.

I'd like to try it, but those dudes are HARD, Rc 60 or something like that.

Don't want to mess around with annealing, heat treating and re-tempering.

Any one fool around with this hobby?

I have never delved into the making of knives but guys in the "Tool Room" where I worked made hunting knives out of files , etc .. They did more "Government Jobs" than actual work on tools and dies . Many of the handles were made out of layers of Phenolic .

You know how much those damned things are? Start at ~$140.

When you're fooling around on eBay, search for; buck knife filework or fileworked

Thery're worth a look, very neat knives!

Looks more like a neat collector knife than one you'd want to get all blood & guts!

Lot of videos on youtube on how to do it! Do the same search.

Take a new Buck 110 hunter folding knife and take it all apart.

Do the filework, epoxy new exotic handle material and reassemble. Sounds easy, huh? ???

Looking for a cheapie, used one to practice on & see if it is really something that gets me excited.

Could be just another one of my whims. Don't we all get them?

Other current whim is to make a powder horn. Have to see where that goes.

From what I've read/viewed so far, nothing was mentioned about re-plating.

To be honest, I don't know - but don't think they are even plated from the factory.

Just a high grade SS alloy.

One option was to use diamond, needle files to do the artwork.

Apparently a tedious, lengthy process on the Rc60 metal parts.

Alternative was to "un-harden", do artwork and then bring metal parts back to original hardened state.

This option made filing easier, but involved more steps that had the potential of compromising the original integrity of the bldae, etc.

Like I mention, think these are more collectors than practical hunting knifes when completed.

As you have mentioned before, I too am always looking for an interesting winter project.

From what I've read/viewed so far, nothing was mentioned about re-plating.

To be honest, I don't know - but don't think they are even plated from the factory.

Just a high grade SS alloy.

Really? ...... I know that all knife blades are not stainless, and I just assumed that the nice shiny surface was from some sort of plating. But then, I really don't know anything about it, so maybe not. The guys that are making knife blades out of old files must have some way of protecting the blade from corrosion when they are finished. It sure would be a nasty event to put all that work into them and then watch them start rusting.

Doc

No, I was just curious as to how one might actually build a knife from start to finish, And I started wondering about the actual finish that is applied to the blade. My guess is that you would have to take it to a commercial plater and hope you can find someone who will mess with a little job like that. I don't even know what the steel blades are actually plated with. I guess it's likely that going at it the way I was thinking simply is not practical. most likely your approach of modifying an existing stainless steel purchased knife might be more in line with something that a hobbyist can actually do.

The following may be more widespread than we think:

Possibly (?) cheaper knives use inferior steels that are then plated to resist corrosion..?

“Why does Buck use stainless steel?

We use stainless steels because they meet the exacting demands of the many different types of knives we make.

Stainless steels are alloy steels that have been carefully developed to resist corrosion and more. Our knives are made to be exposed. Harsh conditions like water, snow, salt, air and chemicals are second nature to a Buck.

Every Buck is made with stainless steels that offer a good blend of hardness, strength, toughness, ductility, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, edge retention and the ability to re-sharpen.”

Case knives use a SS, probably a very similiar alloy.

Boker/Sollingen use a steel cobalt alloy that is rust resistant.

Schrade knives are now made in China, so who knows...!

I do NOT get a kick-back from Buck Knives, but their folding knife model 110 sets the standard all others have copied.

I had mine for ~40 years and never had any problem with it. Lost it this spring about the time I had cleaned a turkey.

Have since replaced it, but it's like a part of me is missing. Wish I could recall how many deer, turkeys & small game it had cut into..!

They also make a very similiar, but slightly smaller model 112 that is more conducive to carrying in your pocket.

If you're serious about a better knife, look on eBay. Retail store prices are set by the manufactures.

Exactally the same brand and model.

Buck 110 hunter's folding knife.

It's not really a good size for everday pocket or belt sheath wearing.

Perfect as a hunting knife.

There are a lot of other good fixed blade knives if they are your preference.

I had a buck 110 and the fixed blade buck with the black handle. I really got so I liked the fixed blade better. Just seemed easier to clean and sterizile. I lost them both when my fanny pack got lifted out of my truck at a restaurant during breakfast. I havene't replaced them yet this year.

On a side note...there are several plating iperations throughout the sate and a few that do heat treating. I have no idea how much it would cost but they are there. I know one in syracuse and I think Quackenbush in Herkimer is out of business now.

I'm not promoting Buck knives!!! Lotsa other brands that are great hunting knives.

Just recently found out they have models made in China, which is disturbing!!

Mine became a part of me after 40 years.

Carried it for small game and got pretty good at skinning a deer with it.

Have since also gotten a fixed blade with the gut hook. Love that feature, no fingers in the way!

Carry the pocket knife when hunting my own property.

If I hunted else where, I'd probably favor a fixed blade also.

Do you know if the 119 Pathfinder is US? That is the one I had stolen and want to replace it

"The Buck Pathfinder knife is a slightly smaller version of the venerable workhorse Buck Special. No question about it - the 105 has takin it's place as one of the best fixed blade knives on the market for the outdoors. Designed for tasks from field dressing game to cutting tent stakes - the Buck Pathfinder will get the job done. Measuring 9.125" overall with a 5" modified clip point blade made of 420 HC steel, the 105 has a black phenolic handle and aluminum butt and finger guard. The Buck Pathfinder makes a great engraved knife with our custom laser etching. Comes complete with a black leather sheath and is boxed. Proudly made in Post Falls, Idaho."

• 7 months later...

One of my sons just got me an Emerson SOCFK folder. (He found it on the trail while hiking in North Carolina). Looked it up, it's a $135 knife. Doesn't appear that it will be too hard to copy, I have to order the steel yet. It has a Tanto point, I'll change that to a Spear point on the new one.

I've made a few knives from files and the heavy power hacksaw blades. I want to make a Kukri just for fun - I got no real use for one.

I've never seen a plated blade - polish the steel and use just a bit of oil. They won't rust. Some blades I've Parkerized, but it really isn't necessary unless you want to cut down any glare.

DC