Upstate Property Taxes

Geno C

Bought my house December 1986 in Rockland County for around $200,000( it was bought around the top of the 80's market as my builder told me he built the same house 2 yrs prior for 100k but thats another story) Anyway its 0.39 acres app 2200 sq feet- taxes for my first full year of living here(1987) were 1787.00.Today my house may sell for 280-300K my property taxes are 12k a year.

The school taxes are what the real killer is for us. They alone are nearly $5,000.

what the real killer here in upstate was the reassessment that took place during the housing bubble. the asessed values dont match market values. last year when we were in the market we bid on 3 houses. the first 2 were at assessed value, but wouldn't bank appraise for those amounts. in 2005 my shack that i owed on 50ft of otsego lake was appraised at 185K. later that year it was reassessed at 640k with a 98% school levy. this was do to grossly over priced properties selling all over the lake, 4 to 5 times the actual value. after the bubble burst everyone unloaded drove the values to the basement and us long timers were left holding the tax bill. and since the local gov. had figued out how to spend the money, when i finally sold in 2012 tax rate had increased another 10%. all comes back to the gov. just mismanaging....well everything they put there fingers on.

FWIW-Back in 1996 I was hunting in Bullock County, Alabama (1.5 hrs west of atlanta) The lodge/house(app. 5 yrs old) I was staying at was app. 2600 sq. feet on 5 acres that had a 1/2 acre pond. The owner said he paid 100k for it 2 yrs prior and now it was worth 110k . He then asked us about our homes as previously stated my home is 2200 sq .39acres was worth around 190-195k in 1996 and my taxes were 4k a year. My buddy who just built a 3200 sq. foot home on 1 acre in an "exculsive" town/village in Oneida County for around 375-400k was paying around 8500-9000 a year in property taxes. The guide/owner looked at us and said no wonder you NY'ers are bitching about taxes. I then asked him what he was paying and he said 360.00 I said 360.00 a month is alot. He said no 360.00 a year in property taxes. I asked him did he have garbage pick up and he said yes I then asked does a bus pick up your kids to go to school? He said if i had kids then a bus would pick them up. At that point I said to him I pay more in a year for my cable tv than he pays in property taxes for the year!

Never been to "The City" and never going to happen. I don't even like going to Syracuse. Rome and Utica are about the upper limit of "city" that I can handle.

Everyone should visit. Nobody will force you stay. It helps give you some perspective of how the "other side" lives. Case and point, my best friend from college grew up in Manhattan. We attended UB together. And he came home to stay with me at my parents one weekend in our log cabin. He thought it was going to be like Abraham Lincoln's cabin. A few hikes in the woods and a night in the hot tub with some drinks and 2 girls I knew from from high school under the stars, he began to see what I loved about the country. A weekend of crazy bar hoping with no driving and a taxi cab drive to a concert and Yankees game and I saw what he loved about the city.

Alot of people bitch and moan about their taxes, then i ask them if they voted on the school budget and they say no when was that??????????????? How many here missed out on the last school budget vote I wonder. Well heres a heads up, its coming to your town soon. And Im looking foward to having a nice lengthy conversation about it right on this forum.

Alot of people bitch and moan about their taxes, then i ask them if they voted on the school budget and they say no when was that??????????????? How many here missed out on the last school budget vote I wonder. Well heres a heads up, its coming to your town soon. And Im looking foward to having a nice lengthy conversation about it right on this forum.

do you have kids? how long has it been since they or you were in school?

Covert...... I wish I could find that news program...Your right every aspect of service paid jobs had huge increases..way over the country's norm in just minimum wage...but when the rush occurred they weren't ready for it...

Your #'s don't actually address any of my statement....lousy housing ...meaning not enough and homelessness...then the high income paid being nullified by the crazy costs of living where you work...Then you have the crime...just saying ...The allure isn't always as good as the reality.

OK ...none of the links seem to be working for me today...I give up

Edited by growalot

Everyone should visit. Nobody will force you stay. It helps give you some perspective of how the "other side" lives. Case and point, my best friend from college grew up in Manhattan. We attended UB together. And he came home to stay with me at my parents one weekend in our log cabin. He thought it was going to be like Abraham Lincoln's cabin. A few hikes in the woods and a night in the hot tub with some drinks and 2 girls I knew from from high school under the stars, he began to see what I loved about the country. A weekend of crazy bar hoping with no driving and a taxi cab drive to a concert and Yankees game and I saw what he loved about the city.

theres a give and take, theres things about city life that i hate and love and the same for the country. so i would agree with you...

ill tell you tho, growing up from 18 - 24 or so there is no better place for being in that age bracket then LI. The best parties/clubs and so on are at your finger tips with an abundance of amazing looking girls. City, Central LI, Hamptons, i mean if bars/clubs and women are your things it cant get any better lol.

as you get older your priorities change and those amenities you have your finger tips here tend to be not important anymore. id much rather a more laid back life style taking in some clean air and enjoying some lake activities. Everything has been done on the island, pretty much literally. in aspects there are far more opportunities upstae for someone looking to invest, open a business and so on. at least in my eyes...

ill tell you tho, growing up from 18 - 24 or so there is no better place for being in that age bracket then LI. The best parties/clubs and so on are at your finger tips with an abundance of amazing looking girls. City, Central LI, Hamptons, i mean if bars/clubs and women are your things it cant get any better lol.

as you get older your priorities change and those amenities you have your finger tips here tend to be not important anymore. id much rather a more laid back life style taking in some clean air and enjoying some lake activities. Everything has been done on the island, pretty much literally. in aspects there are far more opportunities upstae for someone looking to invest, open a business and so on. at least in my eyes...

agreed and i think i pointed that out earlier. The bigger cities are great when you're young and single, but don't always make sense when you start a family. Heck I lived in downtown buffalo for 3 years in college. That place was a dump and we were robbed twice.... But I could walk to the bars, and walk whoever I met back :) haha

I was in Syossette, L.I. back in 2005. Was doing a tower light change-out. Got a little lost and some hot chick yelled at me and told me to go back to cow town, lol. A little off topic, but i thought I would share that. I got a kick out of it.

I loved the JAPs who attended UB. All they did was bitch and moan about the city and town, while they slowly failed out. All on their daddies dime. Most never graduated. pony tail, sweat pants and headband year round.

Edited by Belo

agreed and i think i pointed that out earlier. The bigger cities are great when you're young and single, but don't always make sense when you start a family. Heck I lived in downtown buffalo for 3 years in college. That place was a dump and we were robbed twice.... But I could walk to the bars, and walk whoever I met back :) haha

lol thats awesome

and yes i do believe you said that

You lived in Buffalo...Wow I would never have guessed that in a million years...How did you like the ppl of Buffalo ..in general...just curiosity here

just curious, but why? I loved my time at UB and then on Elmwood. Spent 2 more years in cheektowaga which was kind of blah and then owned a home in Alden for 3 years that I really enjoyed.

Im paying 37 grand a year to have my kid in St Johns...

and you wouldn't want to pay the $20-$30 more a year to help fund sports, arts, computers and better education? I guess I disagree with some of the union rights that teachers enjoy, but other than that our schools are deplorable and need all the help they can get. And if the money bumps do go to teachers, then I do hope it helps to attract better teachers. Dont forget you need a masters to teach in this state. That's 6 years of loans.

I hear ya Geno. From 18-25 I barely hunted/fished. Instead of hunting trips it was South Beach/Miami, Vegas, etc. Weekends were clubs and bars, not waking up early to hunt/fish. I burned a lot of $ living on the Upper East Side for a few years. I don't regret any of it. I just spend my $ and time differently nowadays. I still go out on the weekends with my girlfriend and our friends, but not when I am hunting the next morning!

I hear ya Geno. From 18-25 I barely hunted/fished. Instead of hunting trips it was South Beach/Miami, Vegas, etc. Weekends were clubs and bars, not waking up early to hunt/fish. I burned a lot of $ living on the Upper East Side for a few years. I don't regret any of it. I just spend my $ and time differently nowadays. I still go out on the weekends with my girlfriend and our friends, but not when I am hunting the next morning!

exactly... in those younger years i remember hitting 3-4 clubs a week and if i had work the next day i would get off the train at 6 or 7am and right to work i went, home from work 1 hour power nap and it all started again that night. OMG those days are long gone for me lol. i traveled a lot, went to many islands, many spring breaks, the good ole days. when hunting season is here its like the world stops for me, its all i do and think about. i dont regret it, you only live once and the things i have seen, heard and been words couldn't even sum those events up. Now i have my hobbies and i love it.

although i did go to IBIZA off the coast of spain last august in 2012. Prob the most insane thing i have done and it was amazing and beautiful all in one. i had to cross that off my bucket list before it was too late and boy was it worth it! in that one week i crossed about 6 things off my list lol

• Like 1

I went to school at Univ. of South Florida. Similar story...still hunted and fished a few times, but was more or less into sports, some academia, and serious amounts of partying, alcohol, and ladies. Oh the stories. Perhaps the best was being stalked by a professional cheerleader for the Tampa Bay Lightning and becoming a legend in my fraternity for dealing with that, a soriety girl, and her mother in a single weekend. My last name is now used as a verb in such conquests.

Most guys go through that stage and have stories like that. Sort of like the modern-day people's rumspringa (or however they spell it). Just one of the stepping stones on the road of life.

Now, I pay high property taxes and get more excited at the prospect of going hunting than to the clubs/bars. I know for a fact I wouldn't recognize myself if my 21-yr old version happened to jump to the future and look at me now at 31. Time flies.

Edited by phade

just curious, but why? I loved my time at UB and then on Elmwood. Spent 2 more years in cheektowaga which was kind of blah and then owned a home in Alden for 3 years that I really enjoyed.

and you wouldn't want to pay the $20-$30 more a year to help fund sports, arts, computers and better education? I guess I disagree with some of the union rights that teachers enjoy, but other than that our schools are deplorable and need all the help they can get. And if the money bumps do go to teachers, then I do hope it helps to attract better teachers. Dont forget you need a masters to teach in this state. That's 6 years of loans.

I would pay more for better education. I have been paying more and now we are 16th in the world when it comes to education, we are tied with Poland...I heard a Polish guy tell a joke the other day and it went something like this. How many Americans does it take to screw in lightbulb, Answer>> 3 one to hold bulb and 2 to pick up step ladder and and walk in circle with it, HA, HA, HA...

• Like 1

I would pay more for better education. I have been paying more and now we are 16th in the world when it comes to education, we are tied with Poland...I heard a Polish guy tell a joke the other day and it went something like this. How many Americans does it take to screw in lightbulb, Answer>> 3 one to hold bulb and 2 to pick up step ladder and and walk in circle with it, HA, HA, HA...

lol i have heard that before but never from a polish guys, usually the joke always starts out how many polish does it take? LOL

I went to school at Univ. of South Florida. Similar story...still hunted and fished a few times, but was more or less into sports, some academia, and serious amounts of partying, alcohol, and ladies. Oh the stories. Perhaps the best was being stalked by a professional cheerleader for the Tampa Bay Lightning and becoming a legend in my fraternity for dealing with that, a soriety girl, and her mother in a single weekend. My last name is now used as a verb in such conquests.

Most guys go through that stage and have stories like that. Sort of like the modern-day people's rumspringa (or however they spell it). Just one of the stepping stones on the road of life.

Now, I pay high property taxes and get more excited at the prospect of going hunting than to the clubs/bars. I know for a fact I wouldn't recognize myself if my 21-yr old version happened to jump to the future and look at me now at 31. Time flies.

haha the good ole days :)