Anybody else giving up on vests?

TPhunter

beaver fever? lawdwaz i've had it for years! as for my vest i love the seat, space for thermo cell, calls, water bottle, etc. Just got  the new quaker boy vest a blind. It is like a large fanny pack w/ shouder straps so it should be lighter and cooler. I probaby will remove the blind if it seems cumbersom.

• 4 weeks later...

If only I didn't carry a mask, gloves, bug spray, shells, a box call, slate call, owl hooter, multiple diaphragm calls, shiit paper, matches, fire starter, compass, water bottle, snack bars, attached seat cushion and pouch to carry the bird I guess I wouldn't need a vest. Until I quit carrying all that crap I'll still be wearing the old vest.

Yes Dan, this is the Duxbak vest that Dick Kirby designed many years ago. She sags a bit when you toss 20lbs of shear joy into it! I've sew it back together many times and one zipper is chicken chow mein........

Turk11-1.jpg

Walmart sells zippers 

I made my annual spring trip to Gander in Henrietta. Seems that every fall and spring it shrinks and shrinks. Not even any good deals on cold weather last season gear. Before they had 2 isles of turkey stuff. This time I saw only 4 or 5 total types of decoys, maybe 2 vests to choose from and a very, very small selection of calls. I don't get it. Is camping equipment really that much more profitable?

Went out yesterday to pattern my 870, thought I would give the new Vest a blind from Quaker Boy a try. The hood with the blind in it was difficult to manuver and get my head through the proper hole. I am going to have to do a lot of practicing with it or i am going to remove the hood. It sounded like a great idea to be able to camoflauge yourself but I don't want to be moving so much when setting up on a bird. And if you are a run and gun hunter you wouldn't have the time it takes to get in position and fiddle around with the blind. only time will tell, it might have it moments but i'm not sure I want to be carrying any thing around with me that I probaby won't use. the rest of the vest is great, light, and comfortable seat and back rest, not as many pockets as my last vest but I probably don't need to carry as much stuff as some (lawdwaz)!

• 7 years later...

This year I only carried my stool that hangs from a strap, and my call in jacket pocket. A small bag with shoulder strap that has calls extra gloves ,facemask, and couple of extra shells.  

Unlike most Turkey hunters I know i do not go out for a long period of time just a couple of hours here and there.  I find no reason to chase birds around all morning educating them and pressuring them. It's a long season, the right day a bird volunteers to die...

The last few years I ditched the vest for a small hip pack. This year my neighbor gave me a vest he won at a banquet so I’ve been using it and ...it sucks. Too big and bulky. It also had a built in seat frame that was completely useless. I took that out. I’m going back to the hip pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The last few years I ditched the vest for a small hip pack. This year my neighbor gave me a vest he won at a banquet so I’ve been using it and ...it sucks. Too big and bulky. It also had a built in seat frame that was completely useless. I took that out. I’m going back to the hip pack

Everyone I know have taken the seat frame outta that vest 

• Like 1

You should almost always setup on a tree and the frame doesn’t allow that

I got large trees. Idk works for me. Then when I'm backed into a wall or a crappy bush it's quite nice

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk