Rondout Reservoir

Reelhooked

Hey guys; I'm new to freshwater fishing and have the opportunity to fish this body of water this season. I currently own a boat and do a lot of offshore fishing, but have zero experience in this area. I did read the NYC DEP Rules and Regs which were informative. Is there a limit that is placed on boats in an area such as this? I don't want to buy a boat to fish the reservoir and then find out they are no longer accepting applications or have maxed out available boat opportunities.

Any insight would be appreciated. Once I clear this hurdle will come the questions about tackle and technique. I'm anxious to put my time in and start learning.

Thanks

Edited by Reelhooked

I don't think there is a limit. But if I remember correctly there is a bit of a waiting list to get your boat steam cleaned. But I wouldn't take my boat to any of the reservoirs. Just because then it is stuck there. I would rather fish other spots in that area.

All DEP boating opportunities must go through a steam cleaning process to place your boat on the property. Rondout Res is quite popular, and I would imagine that there are no openings. The DEP boating office for lower NY opens very soon, maybe it's the same for the office that handles Rondout.

If you want to place your boat there, make sure you show up at the appropriate boating office early in the morning and submit your application. Once accepted, schedule a steam clean and drop off your boat.

Thanks for the reply. So once a boat is registered/associated to a reservoir that's where it remains for the season? I'm guessing that's a result of environmental issues, no?

I'd like the flexibility of being able to fish other spots as well; how does that work from a legaleeze perspective, in terms of registration with NYC/NYS DEP. If a body of water has access/launching ramp, can anyone fish that area with the proper NYS fishing license?

Sorry for the elementary questions, I'm just trying to gain as amuch insight as possible.

if the boats is registered for a certain reservoir, thats where it says, untill you pull the boat off to bring it elsewhere( even if you are brining it home for some repairs) then it would have to go back to DEP for steam cleaning again, and repainting of registration numbers, anyone can access DEP property by securing an access permit(online or mailed in)

There are pilot programs that allow for different crafts to be used in the DEP reservoirs, but every craft that goes into the water must be steam cleaned, unless left there.

As soon as the craft has left the property, it will need an appointment for steam cleaning when it returns.

If you want to fish different waters, best to get more than one craft. I currently have 3 boats on 3 different reservoirs. I know folks with more than 15 boats.