Mushroom hunting

blackradio

So I didn't get a chance to get back to that previous hen of the woods till now and when I got there this time, it was dead, black, and had green mold on it.

I did though, find these at another location growing on a fallen oak. Looks a little different.

29e92efc3eeab7b88d35a2e6114ce839.jpg8d784d00f556f26b4611daaf4576d37c.jpg

Is it also a"of the woods"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it could be a sulphur shelf (chicken of the woods) but it's too far gone and has lost it's bright orange color.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

I cooked it up and tried a bite.  It was like chewing on chalk.  I tossed it out.

The one posted by Shawnhu in October is LIKELY "Amanita Pantherina",  or "Amanita Muscaria". The muscaria has several variants, a yellowish colored variation is mostly east coast and what I am thinking this one could be.  The more well known red variation is what you see commonly drawn or seen on cartoons and such. Big red mushroom with white spots.

I am fairly certain though its an Amanita of some sort.  Be careful when it comes to Amanita. Many deadly amanitas out there and many that would make you feel like dying.

I would not eat this mushroom. It was used back in the day to intoxicate houseflies and is reported as mildly hallucinogenic.  Supposedly, a number of people claim that boiling this mushroom will remove the toxins.  Ask yourself if liver failure is worth the risk.

IF IF IF you decide to eat unknown wild mushrooms which is a really really dangerous and a horrible idea, IF YOU MUST... only eat a small amount and leave some for the medics to find. It could help your treatment later.  It may also save your liver if you ingest a small amount and get ill vs ingest a large amount and  not recover...

I love wild mushrooms and used to pick quite a few.  There are various Mushroom clubs and organized mushroom forays where you can go picking with a large group and usually there is an expert or two you can learn from.

Be safe out there..

EDIT: looks like monkeyman posted originally. And I looked a bit more and feel more confident its the yellow variant of amanita muscaria.

Check out this link on it: 

https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/yellow-orange-fly-agaric-mushroom/

Edited by Dan.NY

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I looked for a few hours the past few days and haven't found any in the usual spots i find them. On the same property I was looking, my buddy found a bunch. 

I did find some young dryad's saddle the other day. Cooked them up with some eggs, ramps and scallions and they were pretty damn good. I'll pick some more if I find them young.