Mushroom hunting

blackradio

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I was 99% positive on ones I post but that 1% is a killer. Better to be safe than sorry.
Yes mowin , you got a good bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Thanks.  Yes they look like the pics on here, but you nailed it. That 1% chance isn't worth it.  

Never had them before, so I'm looking forward to trying them. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

2 hours ago, mowin said:

There are no poisonous mushroom that look remotely like a morel.

The poisonous so called "false morel" doesn't really look like a true morel. It has a semi-detached cap while a morel has a top that grows directly from the stem.

morel-mushroom-identification_zpsh1v493f

Morels do have 3 color variations. Gray. yellow and less common  black which are really a dark brown like the one in the picture above.

There is one black mixed in with the gray and yellow morels in this batch that Wifey found a few years ago..

028_zps9d5bad29.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie

8 hours ago, mowin said:

Ok.  Found these last week while taking a new hunter after turkeys. He actually spotted them.  

Are these morels? 

IMG_20170506_072702617.jpg

IMG_20170506_072655714.jpg

Caps should he attached to stem and when cut in half be hollow. 

Looks like a good one

My Wife recently posted this on Face Book. It's from May 15 2013. Kennedi was 4 years old and that was the 1st mushroom she found with Gammy.

Morel%205-15-13_zpsdoy3spe2.jpg

We are so fortunate to be able to literally walk out our back door and start hunting mushrooms. For years we didn't know they grew here. My wife found one growing right in the yard while mowing several years back. After that, my son also started finding them while fishing along the St Regis River. Shortly after our initial discovery, me brought a mess home in his "T" shirt that filled the kitchen sink.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

I found my first morel today, but it looked pretty sad, so I left it.  My buddy, who was hunting on another patch of woods, found a hatful.  

26543.jpeg20170519_193957.jpg

I also found a lot of ramps, but they too looked past prime.

• Like 2

Ha. Hunted birds this morning and told daughter we're going to check out the loamy soil by the skunk cabbage on the way out. Well I've never found any of these darn things. 64faaa57bdbbb0b4e5958a5987bc3250.jpg. Picked em and said um how do I carry these out?! So camo hat it was for me too. Cradled like a newborn to car. Our leaks should be good for a few more days. Dual mission in a few days. Slugs nibbled a few holes but we'll eat around those

• Like 3

Found my first morels today. Have always looked for them while turkey hunting with no success. I got back from the woods this morning , took my dogs out and there these were right next to my yard!

20170523_093416.jpg

• Like 2

Well dang. Just drove an hour to do some real searching. Found 7 pretty quick on Saturday. 1 today slugged to death. Maybe I'm at the end of the harvest on them. Problem too is amongst skunk cabbage. Every plant has many slugs on them. Was hoping for great results. Oh well.

• 9 months later...

i am such a chicken.  My Dad used to know all the mushrooms and we would go out and pick them.  I would like to but dont know them enough or want to take the chance that I do.  But venison stew with wild mushrooms my Dad made was just amazing .  He used to pick shaggy maines and pasture mushrooms all the time.  One time we were driving by a little city park and it was loaded with them. We picked 2 grocery bags of them!  Maybe i will this spring, but i get distracted by all the fishing and turkey hunting 

• Like 1

Little disappointed brother recently sold his property as daughter and I just located morels last year there. We got into them a little late in the season.  Found some good ones but tail end the slugs beat us to the rest.  Sautéed in butter sliced thin. Served with wild turkey breast and venison steak. They were glorious.   Found near ash trees along a little wet area from spring runoff. This area was very prevalent to skunk cabbage   

5ABA3B0E-7C7A-45EA-940E-A386D637D5C3.jpeg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Little disappointed brother recently sold his property as daughter and I just located morels last year there. We got into them a little late in the season.  Found some good ones but tail end the slugs beat us to the rest.  Sautéed in butter sliced thin. Served with wild turkey breast and venison steak. They were glorious.   Found near ash trees along a little wet area from spring runoff. This area was very prevalent to skunk cabbage   

That sounds like a great wild game meal right there! 

Any luck yet Jay on some new dirt?  Sucks you dont have that land to use anymore, sounds like you had a lot of success there. Dunno how populated your area is but to find some new spots can be tough.  My buddy is gonna ask 3 places hes had his eye on as soon as the weather opens up a bit.  Ive convinced him that someone telling him no isn't the end of the world.   The toughest part of hunting is access to good land for sure.   Good luck and hope you land into one. 

• Like 1

I've only been able to find a few morels since we moved, but the searching is half the fun.
My ramp supply ran out so I'm ready to dig more.
I'll probably go light on the turkey hunting this year and do more metal detecting, foraging and trolling for lake trout. Just never enough time for all my hobbies

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

a good plan is to get a tax map of your area, and get on google earth and look around for a few hours there.  Then make a list and just take a day and go around the area asking.  Take your daughter with you as its harder for them to say no and she is also hunting and can learn how to ask as well.  Ive convinced my hunting buddy to do this ( he shares a lease with me but he wants one other spot and all the others i have will only give me permission) so he is gonna go to all the places he picked out on the same day and just make it a day. I told him to wear his uniform after work one day as he is full time military - and not be ashamed to do it as he should get benefits out of it for serving the country.  

Maybe ask the new owners and let them know you have hunted there for years.  People are more open to turkey hunting and bow hunting so start with those, and dont overlook a spot that might only be 5 acres. Esp for bow hunting. If you were closer i might be able to help out a bit, but 3 hours is a bit tough.  

Your a good guy , dont be afraid to ask.  Worst they can say is no.  Just like asking out a girl - only maybe better cause you can hunt other places without land getting jealous.  good luck. 

56 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said: